G37 Sedan

The Official "find Rex Havoc a Caliper color" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You know, I love my Akebono BBK, but all these pictures of AMG and Brembo 6-piston calipers are making me feel a little inadequate.

How do you think I feel about my floating 2/1 pot set
It's going to change though
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I'm starting to see why you're leaning towards the 6 + 4...

This was a winner Brad, thank you very much! I think I have a solid plan now! Need to,have a little more dialogue with JP but it's looking pretty solid right now.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
How do you think I feel about my floating 2/1 pot set
It's going to change though
I imagine every time you walk up to your car, your gaze lingers on those little brakes, naked to the world because of your big 20 inch, 5-spoke rims. There was a time when the custom, gloss black paint over the crude surface of those standard calipers made you prideful, but now they're faded and chipping. The edges of your rotors are probably gathering rust. And all these pictures of gorgeous brake components are making you sad. Real sad.

Compounding your sadness is the same old research on the cost of two-piece rotors, and 4-piston calipers... except that those big 6-piston Brembo's are so sexy, so you're telling yourself in for a penny, in for a pound. Or in this case, many, many unjustifiable pounds...

...because in your head, you know that a BBK won't mean squat for your daily driving. In fact, all that added un-sprung weight from the massive rotors is nuts, and you know it. And yet you want to upgrade. You really want to, but haven't figured out how to explain the cost to your wife in a way that makes sense.

That's how I imagine you feel.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-11-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm starting to see why you're leaning towards the 6 + 4...

This was a winner Brad, thank you very much! I think I have a solid plan now! Need to,have a little more dialogue with JP but it's looking pretty solid right now.
Cool Chris, glad this thread had some value, It would be nice to keep it going as there's a bunch that have calipers in dire need of some "splash". Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

I imagine every time you walk up to your car, your gaze lingers on those little brakes, naked to the world because of your big 20 inch, 5-spoke rims. There was a time when the custom, gloss black paint over the crude surface of those standard calipers made you prideful, but now they're faded and chipping. The edges of your rotors are probably gathering rust. And all these pictures of gorgeous brake components are making you sad. Real sad.

Compounding your sadness is the same old research on the cost of two-piece rotors, and 4-piston calipers... except that those big 6-piston Brembo's are so sexy, so you're telling yourself in for a penny, in for a pound. Or in this case, many, many unjustifiable pounds...

...because in your head, you know that a BBK won't mean squat for your daily driving. In fact, all that added un-sprung weight from the massive rotors is nuts, and you know it. And yet you want to upgrade. You really want to, but haven't figured out how to explain the cost to your wife in a way that makes sense.

OMG our dimentia are so amazingly in sync it's frickin' scary. So scary
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts

Brutal. Got him right in the feels.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Sorry, Brad. Maybe that was a little brutal.

That's how I felt with my old Maxima, for many, many years. And I never did anything about it because I couldn't justify the money. Bigger brakes would have meant bigger wheels, which would have meant new tires and new winter rims and new snow tires... and all that for something that really wouldn't have mattered, except to eye-fck at every private moment.

Of course, with my RWD Sport-G, I no longer have that problem.

Even if the Akebono setup isn't as sexy as the Brembos, it's still quite good, and good enough for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
If it makes you feel better, which I'm sure it wont, I'm pretty sure the non-sport brakes are the same exact ones that are on the Camry and Venzas, since I see them every day... That's when I knew I needed to upgrade my brakes on my xS or put my money where my mouth was and buy an S.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
You know, I love my Akebono BBK, but all these pictures of AMG and Brembo 6-piston calipers are making me feel a little inadequate.
You will love them even more after you get your new wheels on. Btw do you plan on painting your calipers?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
You will love them even more after you get your new wheels on. Btw do you plan on painting your calipers?
Not any time soon, but likely someday, yes. Threads like this certainly contribute to those plans.

Here's an idea that Rex might be interested in... I'll be buying new lug nuts with the new rims, and am strongly considering these WORK lug nuts, in anodized bronze (seen below). On topic to the theme of painted calipers, I could imagine the calipers painted in a matching color.

Rex, you follow where I'm going with this? Matching your calipers to your lug nuts, or vise versa.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Oh now there's an idea I had not considered at all. I have a set of black Kics I was going to use but that there is a righteous idea. It's the fine point details Rochester, thank you.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
brianxly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I imagine every time you walk up to your car, your gaze lingers on those little brakes, naked to the world because of your big 20 inch, 5-spoke rims. There was a time when the custom, gloss black paint over the crude surface of those standard calipers made you prideful, but now they're faded and chipping. The edges of your rotors are probably gathering rust. And all these pictures of gorgeous brake components are making you sad. Real sad. Compounding your sadness is the same old research on the cost of two-piece rotors, and 4-piston calipers... except that those big 6-piston Brembo's are so sexy, so you're telling yourself in for a penny, in for a pound. Or in this case, many, many unjustifiable pounds... ...because in your head, you know that a BBK won't mean squat for your daily driving. In fact, all that added un-sprung weight from the massive rotors is nuts, and you know it. And yet you want to upgrade. You really want to, but haven't figured out how to explain the cost to your wife in a way that makes sense. That's how I imagine you feel.
This becomes 5x more heartfelt if read in Morgan Freeman's voice haha
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Deelow
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by brianxly

Exactlly how we all feel my friend.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by brianxly
Actually I'm imagining it as John Malkovich in Rounders as he is getting into Matt Damons' head
That's why I was getting scared
It really is funny how this whole Caliper bling thing goes. Every time I see a Genesis coupe I see if it has Brembos, same goes for Mustang 5.0s or if a Camaro has the big gray stoppers, etc, etc. So I guess I am doomed to get them one way or another.
I'm actually not really wanting monster rotors, I just want some respectable looking calipers so my mind is swirling right now, lol.

I've got a machinist friend who sets up Wilwoods for street rods and drag cars and could make some brackets for some nice calipers on my OEM rotors so that's an option.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
You guys are the best! I was leaning towards purple haze, then towards ultra violet. Then... Lambo yellow.. But the UV seems pretty darn slick!
Go with the lambo yellow.

My daughter approves of my rio yellow pearl calipers.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyHTX
Go with the lambo yellow. My daughter approves of my rio yellow pearl calipers.
What rotors are your running with your calipers?

Quick Reply: The Official "find Rex Havoc a Caliper color" thread