Sponsored by:

First Snow for My 37X

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM
jaymillG37

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by infiniticrew860
I was ready for the snow. My g37x handle it like a beast. I'm from CT
InfinitiCrew, where are you located? I'm in Southbury. Trying to get a bunch of CT G's together in the Spring. Getting names together so I can send something out.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM
krava
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This first snow and wind brought me some new bodystyle G37 Gran Coupe

Name:  01-1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  143.6 KB[/URL]
Name:  02-1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  125.6 KB
Old 01-04-2014, 03:16 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
That's an awesome picture! An Infiniti G37 GT
The following users liked this post:
skeener (01-04-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine handled pretty good in the recent snow storm in NYC. The AWD light never turned on. Does that mean it was still driving as RWD?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
37GBonB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 828
Mine handled pretty good in the recent snow storm in NYC. The AWD light never turned on. Does that mean it was still driving as RWD?
No light for AWD engagement. Deploys when needed.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 AM
sumair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about to get hit with another snowstorm later today, get your awds ready.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by sumair
about to get hit with another snowstorm later today, get your awds ready.
It just started here about 10 min ago

Put on a new set of Michelin AS3's last Saturday. Hopefully I'll do better in this storm than the last one

Telcoman
Old 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
You guys running AS3s, good luck! I put them on a friends TL this weekend. It performed OKAY (probably better than any other All Season i'v tried in terms of getting going) with FWD but I wouldn't personally attempt it with RWD.

Still performed like an all season when it came to turning and stopping though.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have AS3's (W-rated) on my RWD 6MT. It does okay in the snow with the VLSD. Glare ice is a worse issue, but not sure anything other than studs helps then. In terms of stopping and turning in the snow, I like it the 6MT better than my previous xS. In terms of taking off ... well, no comparison. But even so I don't get stuck and I don't hold anyone up.

My opinion of the AS3's is that they are one of the best handling A/S tires you can get. The trade off is not quite as good in the snow as some other contenders.

Regarding the remarks that some people make about those of use that don't use full winter tires, I haven't done that since I sold my last Mustang GT 20 years ago. Very few people here do. The snow disappears quickly and you spend 90% of the time driving on dry roads.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM
WannabeSport

^This is why they make winter rated all weather tires that actually do perform like winter tires but work during summer. I give you the Nokian WRG3.

The only reason i suggested the AS3s to my friend was because for the most part, the car sits. It's owners (his step mom and dad) live in mexico during the winter and he only drives it occasionally (never when it snows). It gets most of its miles during the summer. Figured good summer and wet traction would be important to them as well as longevity.

If the car were actually a DD all year round, I would have told him to buy something else. Winter tires are for more than just snow and ice. They perform better in temps below 40 degrees, even on dry pavement.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:46 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
^This is why they make winter rated all weather tires that actually do perform like winter tires but work during summer. I give you the Nokian WRG3.

The only reason i suggested the AS3s to my friend was because for the most part, the car sits. It's owners (his step mom and dad) live in mexico during the winter and he only drives it occasionally (never when it snows). It gets most of its miles during the summer. Figured good summer and wet traction would be important to them as well as longevity.

If the car were actually a DD all year round, I would have told him to buy something else. Winter tires are for more than just snow and ice. They perform better in temps below 40 degrees, even on dry pavement.
Won't the Nokians see accelerated wear at summer temps? That's a good trick to make rubber w/ a glass transition temperature low enough to work great in the cold, but still be tough enough for the hot stuff.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 PM
WannabeSport

Nope. We have a set of the SUV version on our X5 and they work great! Our friends have a set on their 01 X5 and it has very little wear have 2 years now. Pretty impressed honestly. And the tires work like a snow tire in the winter.

This is a 4 season tire. It is a new concept here since many in the US do not understand the severe weather rating and just don't think tires can actually make that big of a safety difference. In Europe though, there are a ton of tires like this Nokian that can actually be used year round. Our 'all seasons' here are nothing more than a marketing gimmick... they perform alright but people would just rather rely on their AWD systems than have proper footwear on the vehicle...
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't choose the tires, they came with my car. I was actually impressed that the Infiniti dealer put on tires of that caliber. My car is a DD, but my wife works at home so I can always take her SUV if we get a major blizzard. So far no need; the deepest snow we've seen so this winter was only 7 or 8" and that was no problem.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Nope. We have a set of the SUV version on our X5 and they work great! Our friends have a set on their 01 X5 and it has very little wear have 2 years now. Pretty impressed honestly. And the tires work like a snow tire in the winter.

This is a 4 season tire. It is a new concept here since many in the US do not understand the severe weather rating and just don't think tires can actually make that big of a safety difference. In Europe though, there are a ton of tires like this Nokian that can actually be used year round. Our 'all seasons' here are nothing more than a marketing gimmick... they perform alright but people would just rather rely on their AWD systems than have proper footwear on the vehicle...
Completely agree w/ your second paragraph. I will however dig a bit more into these Nokians. I'm wishful. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012G: I have a G37X Loaner right now. Almost lost the rear end on Tuesday evening going home in the NY Area 12" snow storm. The car has the stock OEM Goodyear RSAs with 28K on the clock. They appear worn but still show some thread. Traveling on I95 northbound, everybody doing 20-25 mph, all of sudden, I started to lose traction, the rear end started to slid to the left, kept my cool, steered into the slid, and was lucky to regain traction. I DID NOT SEE THE SLIP LIGHT COME ON THE DASHBOARD !! In fact with the X model, I didn't sense the AWD kick in??? I know these cars (I have a 2013 M37X in the shop - I had a 2007 G35X and a 2010 G37X) are not Range Rovers, and alot depends on the tires in snow conditions, but everybody else around wasn't losing traction - Front wheel drive and AWD SUVs were around me on the highway. In retrospect, as I looked briefly in my rearview mirror, as my car began to go into a loss of traction and rear end started to fishtail, how quickly everybody backed off...

Quick Reply: First Snow for My 37X