G37 Sedan

Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
I need a little info. Maybe this is just misinformation but do High Flow Cats cause the idiot light to come on? A kid down my street put Berk HFC on his Z35 and he told me his check engine light came on after the install. Anybody have experience with this? This is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on getting HFC's.

Originally Posted by Rochester
ECU needs to relearn, carbon needs to build up inside the cats, etc.

Reset the ECU and let it cycle. As far as I can tell researching this for some time now, this is standard operating procedure. You get the CEL when the ECU cycles the first time after the HFC install, then you reset and it never comes back.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for. Fingers crossed.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...tions-hfc.html
well... what he said^ or it could have been like in my situation... he might have hit/poked/damaged one of the upstream A/F (o2) sensors when struggling to remove the demon bolts and therefore he got a CEL... thats what happened to me... ended up getting 3 wrong upstream A/F sensors supposedly made for my car by the same manufacturer as the OEM stock one ( Denso) but the connector wouldn't fit... so I had to get a part number for that Nissan Denso OEM sensor from a dealer and ordered it online... my 2 cents... would never wanna go through that BS ever again
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Useful knowledge. Thanks for the advice. I may do a little bit more research on the subject but I really do want the HFC's paired to the Tanabe Axle-backs. I've heard it really brings out the engines natural growl / howl. I can't imagine it.

Even the best quality videos and sound clips of these set-ups don't do justice to the real in person thing. IMO
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
It was actually pretty comical the first time I learned the procedure for resetting the ECU on these cars. It reminded me of the blood code for Mortal Combat on Sega Genises; Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A,B,A Start. LOL I actually thought it was a spoof or gag at first, till I tried it.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Useful knowledge. Thanks for the advice. I may do a little bit more research on the subject but I really do want the HFC's paired to the Tanabe Axle-backs. I've heard it really brings out the engines natural growl / howl. I can't imagine it.

Even the best quality videos and sound clips of these set-ups don't do justice to the real in person thing. IMO
haha no problem. You should hear my sedan with Takeda SRIs Berk HFCs paired up with the true dual Invidia Q300 catback, I got a video recorded with my GS4 but haven't uploaded it to youtube or anywhere yet
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Looks good, I would consider the AUTOKITS rear diffuser to hide those canisters a bit (just a thought)
yeah I have had that planned sooner or later the Autokits X rear diffuser but it doesnt look that bad with them a little bit noticeable anyway... it's not like they are sitting very low anyway haha
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,607 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I got a video recorded with my GS4 but haven't uploaded it to youtube or anywhere yet
Tick tock Just toss it on youtube and let's hear it.

This thread here has some excellent pics to compare the Invidia to OEM:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ion-guide.html

paired up with the true dual Invidia Q300 catback
Mik3G37S, are you sure that setup is true-dual?

Last edited by Rochester; 12-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Mik3G37S

Tick tock Just toss it on youtube and let's hear it.
I will on my lunch break soon, but make sure you watch it on some decent sound system with a subwoofer this way it gives you the best idea of what it sounds in person... and John out of curiosity I checked for a local uprev authorized pro tuners in my area and there are two but I need some more insight on this as I am very skeptical about doing the tune which I guess may more than likely void my warranty if they can easily detect it at a dealership

Rochester... according to my friend it is and he knows his ****he is a mechanic afterall... , he had a g35 coupe boosted now fully built Evo X pushing over 500WHP all done by himself ... I didnt know it was a true dual until he mentioned it.. the reason why he said its true dual because as you see in the pictures the pipes that resemble Y shape are separate pieces that don't go into 1 pipe but instead 2 seperate pipes only place where they sort of intersect is X pipe...

look at these pics..
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?-stock-oem-exhaust.jpg   Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?-invidia-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 12-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
I'm no expert at all on getting the car tuned via UpRev software. All I know is that when you're done with intake and exhaust mods, that's your next step... so be sure you're done. (No UIM in your future.)

Research it, start a Build Thread, and post your progress there. This ***** thread is fine and all, but it's a whoring thread. It just is.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Mik3G37S

^^^
I'm no expert at all on getting the car tuned via UpRev software. All I know is that when you're done with intake and exhaust mods, that's your next step... so be sure you're done. (No UIM in your future.)

Research it, start a Build Thread, and post your progress there. This ***** thread is fine and all, but it's a whoring thread. It just is.
Yeah I was told that quite some time ago when im done with intake and exhaust mods thats the next step but not really sure I am gonna make that next step... ahhh damn you Rochester and your abbreviations ... what is UIM? and yeah I know it is a fine thread an all but everything is so offtopic... just hate the idea of thread jumping every single thing you wanna post..

BTW Rochester made a build thread just for you...

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 12-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I didnt know it was a true dual until he mentioned it.. the reason why he said its true dual because as you see in the pictures the pipes that resemble Y shape are separate pieces that don't go into 1 pipe but instead 2 seperate pipes only place where they sort of intersect is X pipe...

look at these pics..
Two pipes instead of a connected Y, I get that. But they collect into an X-pipe. Unless there's something I'm missing, that's not true-dual. I wonder what the purpose of the X-pipe is? I mean, that's a very intentional design. Hmm.

ahhh damn you Rochester and your abbreviations ... what is UIM?
Upper Intake Manifold

Specifically, I'm thinking of the Motordyne M37 unit, which is a bolt-pattern modified UIM off the VQ35HR (if I'm remembering that correctly.) IDK of the flow design is different, or it's simply a change in the air volume. Probably the latter... in which case you would still be needing a tune to take proper advantage of the new specs.

I'm no mechanic either, Mik. Just a hobby enthusiast.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Mik3G37S

Two pipes instead of a connected Y, I get that. But they collect into an X-pipe. Unless there's something I'm missing, that's not true-dual. I wonder what the purpose of the X-pipe is? I mean, that's a very intentional design. Hmm.

Upper Intake Manifold

Specifically, I'm thinking of the Motordyne M37 unit, which is a bolt-pattern modified UIM off the VQ35HR (if I'm remembering that correctly.) IDK of the flow design is different, or it's simply a change in the air volume. Probably the latter... in which case you would still be needing a tune to take proper advantage of the new specs.

I'm no mechanic either, Mike . Just a hobby enthusiast.
haha I honestly could care less whether one thinks it is true dual or not. It sounds great looks great too and I definitely do feel a noticeable difference in performance.

Yeah I am no mechanic either John just like you a hobby enthusiast
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Elohel

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
I feel like this forum is in desperate need of a "chat thread", lmao.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

haha I honestly could care less whether one thinks it is true dual or not.
Oh me neither. It used to mean something when an OEM exhaust collected almost immediately after a flat exhaust manifold. But with our shorty headers, and long y-pipe... meh. Don't care.

You brought it up, though.

And you corrected "Mik" into "Mike" when quoting me. That's funny.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Elohel
One thing I can't seem to get past is the way the exterior of this car looks. It honestly reminds me of just a plain, boring family sedan. There is nothing sporty looking about it, and I wouldn't even give it a second glance if I just saw one drive by.
Love the Performance wheel and tire package on my 2013 G37x, added some tints, 6K HIDS for headlights and fogs, and 6K LEDS inside and out, very happy with the look thank you!

Name:  photo_6.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  113.6 KB
Old 12-05-2013, 02:40 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TONY37X
Love the Performance wheel and tire package on my 2013 G37x, added some tints, 6K HIDS for headlights and fogs, and 6K LEDS inside and out, very happy with the look thank you!

Those are the 2007-08 G35S wheels. Did they bring them back as a 2013 option?

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find the sedan horribly plain looking?