G37 Sedan

Thoughts on Tint

Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
First if all, I am not anti-tint. I am anti-illegal tint, like when some misguided owners who put 50% or more on their windshields. True, state tint laws vary, but using the absence of a federal law to argue that all tints are safe is an irrational leap with no merit.

All your other arguments about the joys of tint (helping glass not shattering, cooling the car’s interior, etc.) is often more rationalization to justify a recognized unsafe practice if the tints are too dark. To be honest about it, you’re not over-tinting your cars for that reason. You just like the look and the privacy you have, and are ignoring the safety issue. That’s why I first posted in this thread, because, once again, your only concern was being pulled over. I was trying have you pause for a second and consider the safety issue.
Again, no one said anything about WINDSHIELD tint. The OP clearly stated his question in the original post that he is not including the windshield in his decision. No one posted pictures of their windshield tints. So again, are you saying that it is not safe to drive with tinted front PASSENGER windows, even if some states have no restrictions on them? If it was so unsafe, wouldn't it be illegal in all states, like the windshield?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I actually had the windshield on my car tinted recently with the lightest possible shade using ceramic tint. It has nothing to do with looks because it is virtually clear. It makes a HUGE difference in transmitted IR heat reduction.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
My tint is illegal in my state, so I got a window tint prescription, and now it is not only legal, but legal enough to be recognized that it is perfectly safe... My states tint laws are 50%. So your saying 35 or 40% is unsafe? You can still see straight threw it, day or night.
In California such tint waivers restrict the driver to operate the vehicle in daytime only, so you may want to check that out for your state. For night driving, the tint must be removed, which we can agree is impractical. I hope you and your doctor didn’t commit a fraud for a Rx that is not medical warranted. And yes, to the degree that 35-40% cuts down on the driver’s vision at night, it could be considered unsafe.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
sniper27

In California such tint waivers restrict the driver to operate the vehicle in daytime only, so you may want to check that out for your state. For night driving, the tint must be removed, which we can agree is impractical. I hope you and your doctor didn’t commit a fraud for a Rx that is not medical warranted. And yes, to the degree that 35-40% cuts down on the driver’s vision at night, it could be considered unsafe.
are you still referring to windshield tint? if so, do you have tint on your screen that prohibits you from reading that this thread is not about windshield tint?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by sniper27
Again, no one said anything about WINDSHIELD tint. The OP clearly stated his question in the original post that he is not including the windshield in his decision. No one posted pictures of their windshield tints. So again, are you saying that it is not safe to drive with tinted front PASSENGER windows, even if some states have no restrictions on them? If it was so unsafe, wouldn't it be illegal in all states, like the windshield?
If you’re trying to get me to say that certain side/rear window tints are still unsafe even if the state law allows them, then yes, these tints could compromise safety under certain night time driving conditions. There, you’ve got your gotcha if you want it.

As to why state laws vary and tint requirements are not uniform for all states I can only say it’s a states rights versus federal rights issue that perhaps belongs in our Politics section.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
sniper27

There, you’ve got your gotcha if you want it.
awesome. I guess you have a right to your opinion. I can say driving in itself is a safety hazard.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by sniper27
are you still referring to windshield tint? if so, do you have tint on your screen that prohibits you from reading that this thread is not about windshield tint?
No, I am not still referring to windshield tint. But I only allow one gotcha per thread. Sorry.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
If you’re trying to get me to say that certain side/rear window tints are still unsafe even if the state law allows them, then yes, these tints could compromise safety under certain night time driving conditions. There, you’ve got your gotcha if you want it.

As to why state laws vary and tint requirements are not uniform for all states I can only say it’s a states rights versus federal rights issue that perhaps belongs in our Politics section.
Lol that makes no sense. Safety in itself should be universal (which is why airbags and seatbelts requirement is a FEDERAL law.)

Driving safely is dependent on the driver, not the car. There are plenty of drivers without tints who still get into accidents and plenty of drivers with tints who don't. It really depends on the driver, so making blanketed statements that illegal tints compromise safety isn't a good argument.

I don't know if you realize, but you can actually see through these tints pretty well. Maybe 5% tint is hard to see outside at night, but I've had 17% VLT (20% VLT tint) and I was able to see outside at night.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Vehicon011

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19% tint

This is my 2011 with 19% tiny. As you can see. Pretty dark. I had the same for my 2008 g sedan with black on black. You can see it in my garage pics. I do agree with the night driving. Having 19% tint at night is a pain sometime to see out the two front windows. If I had to do it again. I probably wouldn't go this dark. And yes... It does look a bit gangster sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on Tint-image.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Lol that makes no sense. Safety in itself should be universal (which is why airbags and seatbelts requirement is a FEDERAL law.)

Driving safely is dependent on the driver, not the car. There are plenty of drivers without tints who still get into accidents and plenty of drivers with tints who don't. It really depends on the driver, so making blanketed statements that illegal tints compromise safety isn't a good argument.

I don't know if you realize, but you can actually see through these tints pretty well. Maybe 5% tint is hard to see outside at night, but I've had 17% VLT (20% VLT tint) and I was able to see outside at night.
Perhaps you’re right in a sense, that it’s the driver, including the driver who allows his or vision to be critical impaired by too dark tints, who is responsible for a negative outcome. Thank goodness that the police, as available, are able to dampened such irresponsible behavior and perhaps save a life or two.

And this often repeated mantra of being able to see through certain tints is, and always has been, the mainstay of a tint zealot’s rationalization. Anything you see at night with 20% tint is, by definition, a critical decrease in night vision and anyone, other than Superman, CANNOT see pretty well, certainly not in a modern automobile. You’re as virtually blind as the preverbal blind man who cannot see. IMO Safe driving is inconsistent with such behavior.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Had 20% all around. Just changed to 20% rear 35% front. 20% front at night was just too much. Looks pretty good now, and I feel a lot safer on the road.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't live in California and our state doesn't have the ludicrous laws. Tint prescriptions have no driving restrictions. Lowest they may be written to is 20% and it can be used daytime nighttime, etc. And my medical condition or why I have the prescription is perfectly legal and acceptable.

Sorry, but your arguments are incredibly farfetched. Tint is not dangerous and no accidents have ever been recorded where the error is tinted windows.. If they were, they wouldn't allow any tint and all states would be the exact same law.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Perhaps you’re right in a sense, that it’s the driver, including the driver who allows his or vision to be critical impaired by too dark tints, who is responsible for a negative outcome. Thank goodness that the police, as available, are able to dampened such irresponsible behavior and perhaps save a life or two.

And this often repeated mantra of being able to see through certain tints is, and always has been, the mainstay of a tint zealot’s rationalization. Anything you see at night with 20% tint is, by definition, a critical decrease in night vision and anyone, other than Superman, CANNOT see pretty well, certainly not in a modern automobile. You’re as virtually blind as the preverbal blind man who cannot see. IMO Safe driving is inconsistent with such behavior.
Not exactly...The ONLY reason why you would see out your REAR passenger and driver side windows is to check your blind spots when you are changing lanes or perhaps parallel parking. All you need to see is directly what is next to you for safe driving on a lane change. Even seeing through your rear windshield isn't necessary unless you are parallel parking. As for turning at night, cars should have their headlights on anyways so you should be able to see through tints for light sources from headlights. I believe the rear windows can be tinted as dark as you want it without impairing safe driving.

Any other circumstance where you needed to see out your rear passenger and driver side windows isn't necessary for "safe" driving. You don't need to see what is happening two lanes away on your side windows.

As for front side windows, the only thing they are useful for is when you are turning without a traffic signal present. In such cases, I can understand why some with extremely dark tints in the side front windows can be dangerous, but in almost all cases, drivers CAN see out their window and watch for headlights. Extremely dark tints may allow a driver to "miss" a dark car without headlights on, but if everyone followed the law, the front tint probably poses no threat to safe driving.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Tint is not dangerous and no accidents have ever been recorded where the error is tinted windows.. If they were, they wouldn't allow any tint and all states would be the exact same law.
How on earth would you know that no accidents have ever been related to tinted windows? Darker tints at night is equivalent to driving w/ Sunglasses at night and I doubt anyone would think that's a good idea. Making things harder to see & identify at night is surely a contributing factor in many nighttime accidents. I'm not saying ban tints (I have 40 front/30 rear) but to say that there's no increased hazard driving at night w/ dark tints isn't true.
Chekov may be overly cautious but his words have merit IMO.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
You don't need to see what is happening two lanes away on your side windows.
Yes you do. One reason for accidents on our freeways is two cars merging into the same lane; let’s say one going to the right and the other to the left. This is why a safe driver looks to see not only the next lane, but the lane two lanes over when changing lanes so they don’t merge into each other by changing lanes at the same time. In this scenario side window vision, even during the day, is quite important, that is, if you want to be a safe driver without the zeal of illegal tints getting in your way.
The following users liked this post:
CRiME (10-06-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on Tint