Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ...1 demon bolt left while installing berk HFCs... stripped head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
HELP ...1 demon bolt left while installing berk HFCs... stripped head bolt

I used the search option and couldn't find what I was looking for... so ...

UGH I was just doing this today and I don't even wanna say how long it took me and I had to just wrap it all up and call it a night and wait till tomorrow because of one GOD DAMN BOLT on the passenger's side the top left... tried like almost everything and nothing ...and due to trying so much the head of that bolt is stripped and don't know what to do :/ it is a PITA to reach from the engine bay as well as from underneath and best way would be to cut it but I am clueless on how to reach it and how to cut it :/ I have seen a thread on this couple days ago about a stripped head bolt while attempting to install berk HFCs and I can't seem to find it either , any help is greatly appreciated ... my car is just stuck by the house till I get this one bolt out and can put in the second HFC...
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
If you've stripped it there's not a ton of options. Did you use the correctly sized socket? It would be extremely difficult to strip that bolt if you used the correct 14mm hex socket.

At this point I think your best bet is to drive it to a shop and have then torch it off. They'll be able to put it up in a lift and get a good angle on it.

I'd just slip some of the new bolts back on and lightly torque them to hold it all together while you drive to the shop of your choice.

Sorry, this is a real bear of a job to do. Did you use PB blaster or WD40 in the days leading up to your attempted replacement? Was the engine completely cool when you tried to replace the cats?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Mik3G37S

Used Wd40 several times yesterday.. didnt think it was gonna be that bad since the car is 2013... the engine was cool... we tried to torch it with a friend but that didnt do much due to a ****ty access from underneath... uhh its just 1 more bolt Im so pissed about it... we will see what happens later today...
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Eldan
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These might help:
Bolt Extractors - Screw & Bolt Extractors - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS

Also, WD-40 isn't the best penetrating oil...
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
make sure you are doing it from the top (engine compartment) with a long like 3' extension and impact
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by Eldan
These might help:
Bolt Extractors - Screw & Bolt Extractors - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS

Also, WD-40 isn't the best penetrating oil...
that seems like my best option now other than tightening everything back again and taking it to a shop just to shell out another 100$ if not more...

I guess lesson learned now that WD-40 isn't the best , even though I was told it's the same **** as PB blaster...

and I did use long extensions and done it through the engine bay but with a ratchet not an impact gun which I don't have... now it's too late for an impact gun and guess my best option is the Bolt extractor set....