G37 Sedan

Sport 6MT vs. Sport w/ 7AT vs. Sport Appearance Edition

Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport 6MT vs. Sport w/ 7AT vs. Sport Appearance Edition

I'm shopping for a 2010-2013 G37, and I'm confused about "sport".

There's the G37 Sport 6MT. Sounds like the ultimate sport sedan.

There's also "Sport Appearance Edition". What's that? Just for the regular sedan ("Journey"?) and X (AWD)? Is it just wheels and cosmetics? Does that get the S badge on the trunk?

Is there a 7AT that's equivalent to a 6MT except for the transmission? That is, not not just sport "appearance" but is truly a sport minus the manual?

I live in a major metro area. While my commute isn't bad, I'm not sure I want to mess with a manual transmission, plus it will create tension with the spousal unit who is reluctant to learn one.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
The full "S" package can be had in the 6MT and 7AT.

for 2011+ the 6MT only comes fully loaded. The 2010 can be had without NAV package.

"S" appearance is for the X. There are more than a few differences between the proper "S" and the pseudo "S" especially in the sedan.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rks
The full "S" package can be had in the 6MT and 7AT.

"S" appearance is for the X. There are more than a few differences between the proper "S" and the pseudo "S". especially in the sedan.
Thank you!

What are the differences, besides transmission ratios and rear gear ratios?

Are you sure that the "Sport Appearance Edition" is only for the X?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Okay ... and I don't blame you a bit for being confused ... here is the story:

Sport 6MT Sedan: Full sport package (includes sport suspension, staggered 18" rims with summer tires, quick-ratio steering, big brakes, limited slip differential, sport front bumper and side sills, sports seats, hand parking brake, etc) and of course a close-ratio 6-speed manual.

Here is the odd part - by a G37 Journey Sedan (standard with 7AT), and add the "Sport package" you get all the same sport equipment as the 6MT (except the hand brake), but with paddle shifters for the 7AT.

Buy a G37x Sedan (AWD, standard with 7AT), add the "Sport Appearance" package and you get 18" wheels (not staggered) with A/S tires, the sports bumper and side sills, sports seats and paddle shifters. You do NOT get the sports suspension, quick-ratio steering or big brakes. The full cast aluminum sub-frame of the 6MT is replaced by a welded steel structure. Upper and lower control arms are still aluminum. This version understeers significantly more than the true sport RWD versions but will still run rings around a Maxima or FWD TL.

This strategy matched what BMW did with the 3-series. Note that this only applies the G37 sedan. For the new Q50, they have removed (some say permanently) the 6MT option. However if you get a Sport Package you get most of the sports goodies even in the "x" AWD model. I have not seen any reports on handling of the x version, though.

Greg
Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

The "Sport Appearance" version is only on the "x." The Sport 6MT is a separate model. And when you add the Sport option to a Journey RWD, you get the full sport package.

And to make it even more confusing, the Coupe gives you part of the sport goodies if you get the x version ... not just appearance.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

One other comment regarding performance - the gear ratios are the same for all 7AT G37's. The 7AT spans a wider range, with an extremely aggressive first gear and a higher top gear vs. the close-ratio 6 speed. The powertrains are the same as the 370Z. In fact many of the 370Z parts interchange with the RWD version of the G37, which gives you some interesting aftermarket options.

The two RWD versions are neck and neck 0-60 and in the quarter mile. The AWD version starts out better due to traction, but eventually falls slightly behind due to the extra weight. But only slightly.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:45 PM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses, @gsm026! So looks like I just need to stay away from the X, which is kind of silly down here in Dallas anyway as snow or seriously icy conditions are rare here.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by AuthorizedUser
Thanks for the responses, @gsm026! So looks like I just need to stay away from the X, which is kind of silly down here in Dallas anyway as snow or seriously icy conditions are rare here.
and teach the wife to drive a stick. It might be a little slower to 60 than the Auto but much more engaging and fun.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 PM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Add this to a s look alike for a real s

*10-spoke 19 x 8.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45R19 (front) and 19 x 9.0-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 245/40R19 (rear) W-rated summer performance tires [Rather than 18" 5-dual-spoke wheels]
*Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8-inch rotors
*Unique front fascia and side sills
*Solid-magnesium paddle shifters (not available with 6-speed manual transmission)
*Front sport [bucket] seats with manual thigh extension and driver’s power torso and thigh support adjustment
*Unique sport stitching on steering wheel and front seats
*Aluminum pedals and footrest
*Sport-tuned suspension
*Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD)
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Authorized ... I agree, get a RWD sport unless you really need the RWD for snow, or have a problem with the stiff suspension.

I've had both 7AT x (Sport Appearance) and now a 6MT. The 6MT and true sport package totally changes the character of the car.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i am soooooooooooooooooo tired of driving my '13 (second 6MT G) in traffic - Seattle. -_- the 7AT's awesome. seriously.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
It sounds like you are more comfortable with an Auto. If that's the case, then try to find one with the Sport Package as this is the last year they are being made and the combination/value of the individual features far exceeds the value they are charging for the package at just over $2k. This will also require that you buy the premium and navigation packages as well.

Officially, it looks like this:

Sport Package
$2,250
Front and rear alloy wheels: 18" x 7.5"; Transmission: and paddle shifters; Driver sports front seat with 12-way power manual thigh support, front passenger seat sports front seat manual thigh support; Unique sport headlights; Sports pedals; Front 225/50- and summer tires, rear 245/45- and summer tires; Sport brakes with larger rotors; Rear mechanical limited-slip differential; Sport suspension; Sport-tuned steering gear; Requires: [P01] Premium Package And [U01] Navigation Package; Excludes: [W01] Performance Tire and Wheel Package

Note that everything above also applies to a Sport 6MT (Manual) if you decide to get it vs. the auto.

Note that there is also a Performance Tire and Wheel Package. This is roughly $600 and is essentially a set of much better looking wheels and higher performance tires. I think this is a must for any non sport Journey, but you rarely see any of these cars on the road.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 AM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
"sport apperance" was a package offered on a journey... the non sport lip was included, and rear deck spoiler and the 9 spoke "LE" style wheels, paddle shifters, yet standard seats.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 AM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rks
and teach the wife to drive a stick. It might be a little slower to 60 than the Auto but much more engaging and fun.
I agree, but can you shield me from the severe beatings? In all seriousness, she'd probably do it when push came to shove. The idea is not written off.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
AuthorizedUser
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Note that there is also a Performance Tire and Wheel Package. This is roughly $600 and is essentially a set of much better looking wheels and higher performance tires. I think this is a must for any non sport Journey, but you rarely see any of these cars on the road.
Just to make sure, this package is included in the Journey with Sport package, right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport 6MT vs. Sport w/ 7AT vs. Sport Appearance Edition