G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Big 48,000 KM servicing is coming up, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
My Big 48,000 KM servicing is coming up, need advice!

My 2012 G37x 48,000 KM Maintenance is coming up and I'm reading both the FSM, and the dealership provided maintenance schedule.

I figured that the follow could be done with no harm
  • Tire Rotation
  • Wheel Alignment
  • "Coolant Service" - I'm thinking they do a coolant flush
  • Rear Diff & Transfer Case fluid change / flush Labelled as "AWD service"
and an oil change which is standard.

I've already done both intake air filters, and cabin air filters when I first bought my car at 39K

The only servicing I am cautious about is the transmission fluid flush considering it's a sealed system.

Typical for dealerships to use that as a cash grab but will there be any harm done if I get the dealership to do my transmission? The manual says "Replace Automatic Transmissions Fluid (Except for 7 Speed Automatic Transmission)"

No fluid lasts forever, but i'm wondering if it will cause more harm than good if performed. It's not very transparent, as to why we shouldn't do it or not.

Also, I plan on getting my servicing done through a Nissan Dealership because the Rates are significantly lower than Infiniti and FWIW, I also get a discount at both Nissan & Infiniti because I work for an Auto Group but why pay more for the same service? I'd rather keep the cost of ownership of my G as low as possible and only take my G into an Infiniti dealership for the smaller services and get to warranty stuff done.

If you also factor in the condition of my vehicle being previously daily rental, and driving in ****ty canadian weather (lots of snow). Would it be good to do?

tl;dr - Should I get my Tranmission Done?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I too am getting ready to get my rear diff & transfer case done. I also was wondering the same thing about the 7 speed transmission. I have read about people getting it done and people not doing it. I am assuming it can't hurt to get it done, but if people could chime in that would be great.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do the brake fluid too. Transmission, meh I plan on waiting until 60k miles. I didn't do it at 30k and you are correct no fluid is lifetime despite what they tell you.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The trans service should be done at low mileage. The reason is new gears shed lots of metal shavings when they are new. Also if dealer messed up the trans fluid change, the car is still within warranty period.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Do the brake fluid too. Transmission, meh I plan on waiting until 60k miles. I didn't do it at 30k and you are correct no fluid is lifetime despite what they tell you.
Originally Posted by CodeG
The trans service should be done at low mileage. The reason is new gears shed lots of metal shavings when they are new. Also if dealer messed up the trans fluid change, the car is still within warranty period.
Well both answers work for me!! I'm sure my Nissan dealership can handle the fluid change. I'm sure it'll be no difference from working on a 370z.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Morgs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think its a pretty expensive service, the guy i bought my car from had it done just before i bought the car at infiniti and payed nearly a grand
Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
dagenius01

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I had talked to the my service guy about transmission fluid flush and he said that with 7AT you don't need to do it ever. Even though he agreed that fluids don't last for ever, he said that per his conversation with infiniti engineers the fluid would not be ruined over the life of the car. I had hard time accepting that but knowing this guy, he is pretty knowledgeable so took his word.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
defektion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dagenius01
I had talked to the my service guy about transmission fluid flush and he said that with 7AT you don't need to do it ever. Even though he agreed that fluids don't last for ever, he said that per his conversation with infiniti engineers the fluid would not be ruined over the life of the car. I had hard time accepting that but knowing this guy, he is pretty knowledgeable so took his word.
I think I'll just follow the recommendation of the manual by not changing the fluid and assume it's a dealership cash grab.

I spoke to the parts guys at Nissan he even said not to do it as a maintenance thing. He said to me, "Once you pop it open, you'll be back in here more frequently".
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by defektion
I think I'll just follow the recommendation of the manual
Bingo.

Service Manual > Service Department

Here's another thought: for various service jobs, you could also take the car to a NISSAN shop instead of INFINITI, and possibly save a few bucks that way. Infiniti Dealerships tend to charge more, because they can. Although that's not a rule... it's more of a guideline.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
This shouldn't be an issue if you break the individual items down and schedule them independently.

-The diff drain and fill is under $100
-The trannie drain and fill is just over $100 (I have never done a flush and transmission is flawless still at 100k)
-Coolant service is right around $100 as well. I normally do this once a season anyway as it is cheap insurance to keep the radiator behaving like new.

Again, break the service down and get the individual items done as you can afford them.

All of these can wait...
Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
This shouldn't be an issue if you break the individual items down and schedule them independently.

-The diff drain and fill is under $100
-The trannie drain and fill is just over $100 (I have never done a flush and transmission is flawless still at 100k)
-Coolant service is right around $100 as well. I normally do this once a season anyway as it is cheap insurance to keep the radiator behaving like new.

Again, break the service down and get the individual items done as you can afford them.

All of these can wait...
you mean once a year on the coolant, right?