G37 Sedan

Skeptical about buying 2010 G37xs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Pjunior22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skeptical about buying 2010 G37xs

Ok so I've been looking at a 2010 G37xs at my local Infiniti dealer. Went in test drove the car and negotiated the price down to 27,200 .. The car has 33k on it

Now the carfax seemed odd because there was only 1 service record available and it was the work that was done once the car arrived at the dealership after a 3 year personal lease.. The work included 2 new tires, break inspection because the breaks seemed "jolty at highway speeds" so they replaced rotors.. Also power windows and couple other electronics weren't working which they fixed. Other than these records there is no other available maintenance records to be seen during the cars 3 year lease.
Bumper to bumper warranty still has a year left, should I be worried about purchasing this vehicle?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Not all service records make it carfax. The previous owner probably went to his own independent mechanic for routine maintenance. Perhaps he DIY.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Carfax is not always accurate. For example, my previous car, 2009 x, was regularly maintained at my local dealer but I took it to an independent shop to get new rear brake pads at around 30K. Also, the car was in a very serious accident around 12K miles (extensive structural damage, ended up being 23K in repairs). On my carfax report, you could only see the record for the independent shop's brake job, a notice on collision (because police were called and it was over 1K in damages), and a record from detail shop that took the car in after the body shop did their thing. As a new car buyer, you would not get a complete picture of the car's history unless I told you about it. A sleezy used car salesman could claim that the car had 1 owner, was meticulously maintained, and maybe briefly mention that it was in a minor fender bender (that was actually a 23K rebuilt) if you showed them the carfax report.

I keep all receipts for all service records - warranty things, tire rotations, oil changes etc.. so that I can prove the service was done. If you are doing a private party transaction, ask for these details.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Doesn't seem odd at all. Just purchased a 09 xS and it had few records on the CarFax but I had the dealership pull the maintenance records and everything had been done at Catena Infiniti in NJ. CarFax is hit or miss.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Pjunior22

The odd thing was that when I ask the infiniti dealership to pull the service records they aren't able to find any records from the previous owner only the service they did after they bought the g at auction
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Pjunior22
The odd thing was that when I ask the infiniti dealership to pull the service records they aren't able to find any records from the previous owner only the service they did after they bought the g at auction
If that vehicle went to auction I would run away.
Something sounds fishy
Something like 400000 vehicles were damaged during hurricane Sandy and many of them wound up at auction.

Telcoman
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you can trust carfax like you can trust the government with your money
Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Pjunior22

Doubt it was damaged during hurricane sandy haha it was leased In Pennsylvania
Old 07-28-2013, 04:29 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
With no records from Infiniti, I'd walk away from that car. Too many questions....
Old 07-28-2013, 05:20 PM
PM-Performance

Originally Posted by KEG97
With no records from Infiniti, I'd walk away from that car. Too many questions....
I do not think all work from all Infiniti dealers are viewable by each dealer if that makes sense.
If if a car was services at a dealer in florida, a dealer in PA would not be able to see the service. Diff dealers have their own systems.
Atleast thats my experience when i bought my car. I had my local dealer check their records and only one or two services at their shop. I called another closed to where I bought it and they had more records.

Also not all damaged cars go to auction. I am willing to be almost every used car I have owned was purchased from auction. They all seem to be from the NY area at some point in their life.
Not all dealers rely on local trades for cars. Some smaller town would never see anything past a chevy/ford/chrysler if that was the case.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 PM
davison0976
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I would stay away, here is why....

I would stay away from this car because the set of problems dealership fixed is odd. Okay, replaced 2 tires. Why not 4? Is it because 2 remaining tires are fine? But how can that be? The only thing I can imagine is someone holding the breaks and spinning rear wheels. Yes I know, I know its a 4 wheel drive model, but rear gets the most torque.

Replacing brake rotors at 33K, hmmm, that's a bit early. Too early I would say. More indication of abuse.

Now, electric problems are a particularly a bad sign. Either the vehicle was flooded or water finding its ways in places it shouldn't. There is no chance on earth windows should stop working. If they did, it means circuit was shorted, and blew a fuse, or something more serious.

Do this, open oil fill cap and look inside with a flash lite. Does it look clean? You should see oily parts, but it should be very clean, no sludge. Check out of curiosity. Check underneath to see how exhaust system is holding up too.

Enough people who have no means of maintaining such cars go for a 2 year lease because it's been quite affordable, abuse the car and then return it. I think abuse is more common for sports, high performance car like this. This is the reason I got brand new G37. Even my sales rep was telling me, how he could care less bout maintaining his G37 well because he gets to lease one every 18 months.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
davison0976
Registered Member

and...

IFS (infinity financial services) has been doing 2 year leases on these. If it was leased for 3 years, it most likely was not through IFS. There are two implications. First, you said it was leased in Pennsylvania. It means financial institution through which lease was done is located in Pennsylvania, but the actual car lessee/owner could be anywhere in the country. Second, it's likely person didn't have sufficiently good credit to qualify for IFS and that may give you some insight into a character of an individual who owned this car.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Pjunior22

This is the carfax

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 INFINITI G37 AWD

On the other hand my buddy who works for a Benz dealership is offering a c300 sport with nav and premium 2 package for the same price.. And this car only has 13k on it ! Just a little low on the c300 because the lack of power
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
davison0976
Registered Member

Yeah, man, somebody was burning rubber on this g37. Thank you for sharing the carfax. Two tires and rear brakes replaced? That may not break the vehicle, but stress on drivetrain is immense and longevity of some components may be questionable.

I rented c250 sometime ago and was very pleased with power. I know c300 has a different engine, but try it out. I found suspension on c-class noticeably better than on g37, handling too. On c ride is both smooth and firm, on g it's firm. Try going 70mph on a highway in a curve where pavement has joints like on a bridge and you'll see what I am talking about. C holds on while g jumps up then catches on. I didn't get c because I am tall and when seat is comfortably adjusted you see my head in rear left window which is silly.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM
davison0976
Registered Member

Hey, Pjunior22, how did this story end? What did you end up getting?

Quick Reply: Skeptical about buying 2010 G37xs