G37 Sedan

Debadge and Relocate

Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Lightbulb Debadge and Relocate

Debadging your car is a zero-cost mod that's as old as dirt. Every car forum has dozens (hundreds) of threads about de-badging the car. Personally, I've never done it before, and have always dismissed the idea with my G37 because it's a 6MT Sedan, and that little red S is pretty rare. There's that, and the fact that I have a Moonlight White Infiniti, and I've always thought chrome bits work well with white.

But recently, a newbie to the forum created an intro/build thread (hello Motoboat), and for the very first time I looked at the idea of removing the G37S badge, while retaining the logo and the INFINITI leters. It's a very balanced look. I really liked it.

So I debadged this afternoon. And it was super easy... hair-dryer, fishing line, goo-b-gone, auto polish, buff, wax and buff. The surface looks pristine, as if it just was never there.

However, that left me with four little chromed plastic pieces, and the dilemma of what to do with them. I'm still proud of my 6MT (duh), but that's a personal sense of pride... I don't give a **** about advertising to people who don't know any different. That led me to the obvious answer: it belongs under the hood. And since I also like detailing the engine bay, it's a perfect place for it.

Pics, pics, pics...

Last edited by Rochester; 10-31-2013 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (07-12-2013), e3phung (08-04-2015)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM
TunerMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it!
Nice work Rochester.

I do have to ask, because it's me, why stop there.
Most cars, I don't like fully debadged usually, but the G's look flawless with it done.

Very quickly with MSpaint:

Option #1, very good flow, good centerline, small letters, unlike the 1st generation G's, this actually works well and looks good on the 2nd/3rd Gens. I like this a lot:

Name:  debadge_01Infiniti_zps3f5950bd.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  56.5 KB

And then, the fully shaved look. With your insanely meticulous skills cleaning and polishing your car, imagine how shiny you can make that clean slate on the trunk, it would be nothing short of stunning in the Moonlight White:

Name:  debadge_01Nothing_zps97200e7c.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  55.7 KB

I know you will be extremely hesitant to do it bare, I was too, because in pictures it doesn't look right, because you overanalyze pictures. But in real life it looks stunning.

Either way, I don't know if the G37 has the dimples (holes) behind the Mt.Fuji logo, which could make the whole concept a moot point for you.

This also reminds me, I have to debadge my G35 symbol (the rest is gone, just the G35 remains). Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
looks good bro.

dont' think we've seen the G37S relocated to the battery cover either. i'm not too sure if i like it or not, but it's definitely different.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
I would have left the Infiniti badge on. The trunk looks very empty now.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TunerMax
I like it!
Nice work Rochester.
Thanks, Matt. I thought you might like it. Your idea about removing the logo but leaving the letters... that's pretty interesting. I will consider it. And no, there are no holes under Mt. Fuji. Just adhesive.

As for going fully shaved... baby steps, brother.

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
looks good bro.

dont' think we've seen the G37S relocated to the battery cover either. i'm not too sure if i like it or not, but it's definitely different.
I think the relocate works for me because I've already got some bling going on in my engine bay. Either way, I couldn't let that big red "S" collect dust on the shelf. It needs to be somewhere.

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
I did. You're looking at Tuner's photoshopped renditions. All I did was remove and relocate the G37S badge.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
I think Rochester left the Infiniti & Logo, just relocated the G37S to the battery cover.

I like it John, although I must admit I absolutely hate detailing around those little letters, IMO Just the Logo FTW, mainly for convenience, but also IMO the Mt Fuji is a bad as$ logo and looks great on its' own
The battery cover placement looks nice, would look pretty cool and much more visible on your detailed motor cover, but just my 2cs.
The following users liked this post:
BLamb (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
With the Q50 coming out soon I've debated removing the G37 as well, though I think I'd do the Infiniti letters as well and leave only the Mt Fuji. Like you, I am somewhat proud of the little red S, there are at least 20 other G's in my parking garage at work and I believe I've got the only S sedan.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
The battery cover placement looks nice, would look pretty cool and much more visible on your detailed motor cover, but just my 2cs.
The engine cover was the first consideration, because there's a natural tendency for people to center things. But really there's no where that wouldn't end up looking too big and too busy. Particularly with the FSTB over it. I suppose I could have turned it 90* down one length or the other. Hadn't thought of that until just now.

BTW, guys: 3M Indoor/Outdoor, double-sided, thick adhesive tape. I've used this stuff for a number of things over the years, and it's really good. In this case, you just have to be detailed with the little scissors and razor blade.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Don't like the g37s badge on the battery cover. It just looks so random and out of place. The debadge looks better. Makes the rear look symmetrical.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
John don't de-badge anymore and leave it just the way it is...looks perfect.
As far as the "G37S" is concerned...place it anywhere you think it will look good to "you".

I feel the same about my G37xS and can't bring myself to even de-badge mine!
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
John don't de-badge anymore and leave it just the way it is...looks perfect.
As far as the "G37S" is concerned...place it anywhere you think it will look good to "you".

I feel the same about my G37xS and can't bring myself to even de-badge mine!
Take everything but the 7XS off the trunk, that'll f' w/ peoples minds
Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Take everything but the 7XS off the trunk, that'll f' w/ peoples minds
Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Roch - props for trying something different. I debadged the Infiniti letters a while back and am happy with the results. One step further I have been wondering about is to remove the G37 leaving just the S.

Tunermax, could you work your magic and show what this would look like? Just the logo and the S?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:49 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
Roch - props for trying something different. I debadged the Infiniti letters a while back and am happy with the results. One step further I have been wondering about is to remove the G37 leaving just the S.

Tunermax, could you work your magic and show what this would look like? Just the logo and the S?
I really removed my letters and lowered the logo. I PS'd out the 'G37' for you.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The lonely "S" looks out of context to me. And then there's...

S I N F I N I T I

...which is just dumb, although I bet every one of us thought about it at least once, quietly, to ourselves, LOL.

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Don't like the g37s badge on the battery cover. It just looks so random
There's nothing random at all, because it's exactly where I put it.

Really, that was an odd opinion, because this here... this would look random, although still be intentional, as well as odd.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-13-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debadge and Relocate