G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Hydro-dipped chin spoiler & mirror covers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Carbon Hydro-dipped chin spoiler & mirror covers.

Just put them on today, pretty cool process. Printed film goes in a water vat, spray the activator on the film and it turns almost to a liquid, then it wraps around the immersed part. Parts are then clear coated for a smooth gloss finish. The drivers mirror has a bit more "curve" in the weave, but other than that I'm happy w/ the result. I may put a coat of Nightshades over the parts to get them closer in tint to the grill & valance, we'll see

Here's some pics after I applied Niteshades to the mirrors, spoiler still drying will have them up in the AM

And finally the shaded & reinstalled chin spoiler~

Last edited by blnewt; 07-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ZOSTER33 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
IcemanVQ37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that looks really Badd@$$! I forget where I saw this done, but saw a youtube video of this process on a human hand and it was pretty cool. This a good alternative to get that carbon fiber look w/o shelling out the $$ for one. How much was it?
blnewt (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks nice Newt! Glad to see your G back up and running.

I agree I think the nightshades might work nicely to give it more of a subtle contrast. You'll have to let us know how it holds up over time. There's a place near me that does this and I've often debated giving it a shot.
blnewt (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
I've seen people get things hydro-dipped and then cleared with a 20/80 black/clear mix to make them match black paint better while still leaving the CF look.

Your G turned out pretty awesome, gotta say!

-Nick C.
blnewt (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:24 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Brad...they came out AwEsOmE!
Once the "nightshade" is added, it would look perfect.

How much of a contrast in tint is it...pictures probably don't show the actual shade difference.
Sort of looks more on the silver carbon side from these pics.
blnewt (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
nicee!!! I think I saw this on American Chopper a few years back haha.
blnewt (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Collin_95

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the look alot! It has me thinking about just doing this instead of buying carbon fiber parts. Did you have it professionally done or did you DIY?
blnewt (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by IcemanVQ37
Wow that looks really Badd@$$! I forget where I saw this done, but saw a youtube video of this process on a human hand and it was pretty cool. This a good alternative to get that carbon fiber look w/o shelling out the $$ for one. How much was it?
Thanks Iceman, appreciate the kind words
Yep, here's that youtube carbon hand video
It was about $75 for the 3 parts but I gave him $100 since I was really happy w/ the work.
There's so much you can do w/ this process, I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by BLamb
Looks nice Newt! Glad to see your G back up and running.

I agree I think the nightshades might work nicely to give it more of a subtle contrast. You'll have to let us know how it holds up over time. There's a place near me that does this and I've often debated giving it a shot.
Thanks BL, the guy has a pretty big book of film designs, like camouflage, snakeskin, and some real bright stuff. Lots of hunters get their gun stocks customized. And yes, it's great to finally have my G back
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
I've seen people get things hydro-dipped and then cleared with a 20/80 black/clear mix to make them match black paint better while still leaving the CF look.

Your G turned out pretty awesome, gotta say!

-Nick C.
Thanks Nick about the tinting ratio, I've had pretty good results on my taillights w/ Niteshades, wetsand 2000, then clearcoat, and a final wetsand followed by a polish so I may go that route, but I do have recent relations w/ a good body shop, so maybe
Appreciate the kind word too
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by dragion
Brad...they came out AwEsOmE!
Once the "nightshade" is added, it would look perfect.

How much of a contrast in tint is it...pictures probably don't show the actual shade difference.
Sort of looks more on the silver carbon side from these pics.
Thanks a lot William
The pictures are pretty accurate regarding the true color, the mirror pics really show the color pretty well. It is a dominant grey/silver compared to my grill/valance which is more of a charcoal. I'm kind of liking it the more I look at it, but still wish I had a sample piece to try some tint, little worried about messing it up, but it's not a lot of cash to do it over
This seems to be the darkest carbon they have right now, it looks a couple shades darker until they shoot it w/ clear, like Nick mentioned, shooting w/ a tinted clear would have been ideal, at least on a Black G.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by BluestickG
nicee!!! I think I saw this on American Chopper a few years back haha.
Thanks you sir
I think it's been around for a little while, American Chopper seems to sniff out this stuff sooner than the rest of us
Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Collin_95
I like the look alot! It has me thinking about just doing this instead of buying carbon fiber parts. Did you have it professionally done or did you DIY?
Thanks
It is pretty amazing what they can do w/ the stuff. I've seen some DIY videos but for the long parts you need a pretty big vat, and the place near me was really reasonable ($75) so I let them get dirty
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Collin_95

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well when I start to mod my G, hopefully within the next year, I was going to go with real carbon fiber parts like a front lip and rear diffuser and some other things( the parts from carbon signal) but when I saw this it got me thinking about not going cf and just getting them done like this. Will a local bodyshop do it or where can I get it done? I'm really picky about things being perfect so I have a fear of messing it up.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Collin_95
Well when I start to mod my G, hopefully within the next year, I was going to go with real carbon fiber parts like a front lip and rear diffuser and some other things( the parts from carbon signal) but when I saw this it got me thinking about not going cf and just getting them done like this. Will a local bodyshop do it or where can I get it done? I'm really picky about things being perfect so I have a fear of messing it up.
You'd probably be able to find a shop by googling "hydro dip" then enter your city, or state. There's a few online sources too.
Another nice thing about this is if you find a part that's just primed rather than color matched, this is a perfect situation for Hydro dipping since it's ready to go, and you won't have to pay for a painted part.

The more I think about this I think I may get my grill logo dipped like my mirrors & spoiler, would kind of tie it together a bit better and possibly my Trunk logo too, stay tuned..........................................

Quick Reply: Carbon Hydro-dipped chin spoiler & mirror covers.