G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple tiny bubbles in tint... unavoidable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Zuerst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple tiny bubbles in tint... unavoidable?

Got my G37 sedan tinted with 30% Llumar CTX ceramic films about 5 weeks ago. Paid $299 at a shop with pretty good reviews. Still got about 8-10 tiny bubbles per each of the 6 side windows and about 20 or so tiny bubbles and liner defects (crease?) on the rear window. Also a small defect at edge of one of the rear passenger side window (poor edge cut?) I took the car in for the rear window and they were not able to get the bubbles or the crease out and said they can redo the rear, but have to schedule for a later date.

They said it is not really possible to get a "perfect" tint job... Would 8-10 tiny bubbles per side window and 20 tiny bubbles and crease be acceptable? They told me the quarter inch or so linear (crease?) are due to dust being trapped... seems more like crease from squeegee...?

I was just thinking to get the rear window/windshield re-done... but would it be unreasonable to get all of them redone? Tint looks ok from distance... but once you know the bubbles exist... I keep looking for them.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Zuerst
Got my G37 sedan tinted with 30% Llumar CTX ceramic films about 5 weeks ago. Paid $299 at a shop with pretty good reviews. Still got about 8-10 tiny bubbles per each of the 6 side windows and about 20 or so tiny bubbles and liner defects (crease?) on the rear window. Also a small defect at edge of one of the rear passenger side window (poor edge cut?) I took the car in for the rear window and they were not able to get the bubbles or the crease out and said they can redo the rear, but have to schedule for a later date.

They said it is not really possible to get a "perfect" tint job... Would 8-10 tiny bubbles per side window and 20 tiny bubbles and crease be acceptable? They told me the quarter inch or so linear (crease?) are due to dust being trapped... seems more like crease from squeegee...?

I was just thinking to get the rear window/windshield re-done... but would it be unreasonable to get all of them redone? Tint looks ok from distance... but once you know the bubbles exist... I keep looking for them.
Got our G from the dealer already tinted, no bubbles anywhere. I've had about 10 cars tinted previously from a local shop and no bubbles, there were a few the first 24 hours on some of the installs but all were gone after day 2.
I would get them redone, or get a refund and try another shop.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
There shouldn't be any air bubbles.

However, water bubbles are common and should disappear after about 2 weeks.

If there's bubbles that don't go away, you need to find a new shop.

As far as a "perfect tint job"....had mine on for about 2 years ow and not one bubble anywhere.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I have that exact tint and I have no bubbles and no creases. Are you sure they are bubbles? I thought I had a bubble/crease in my drivers window and it was just a smear that washed off, lol. I drove around with it for three or four days waiting to see if it would go away, then I touched it and it smeared. And now the internet knows how dumb I am.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
TINY water bubbles would be normal for a week or two but since you got it for 5 weeks already, I would say it's NOT acceptable. There should not be any noticeable bubbles period. If you get anything else it's just a poor tint job and they are ****ing you around. They are giving you those lame excuses because ceramic tints are expensive. They dont want to replace for you because it's not manufacturer fault and they cant claim warranty. If their reputation is that good then you need to pressure them to redo all. I have multiple cars tinted at different places and I got no bubbles except for one place which they agreed to redo.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
bring it back if you're not happy instead of posting on the forums.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
i got my windows tinted last July and had a few bubbles in my passenger window and took it back and the tint shop fixed it no problem. Bubbles in the tint come from the quality the ship puts into their work, not necessarily the quality of the tint (although with time cheaper tint will bubble). If you have a warranty with your tint take it back and have them fix it.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
I would tell them to take it off and get a refund take it somewhere else!!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
As everyone else suggested, you should definitely go back and have them redo the tint...shouldn't have any bubbles or creases.
Agree that there isn't a "perfect" tint, but shouldn't have anymore than one or two bubbles. If they know what they are doing, even those should be able to be fixed by just popping them with a pin and smoothing them right out.
There should be some sort of guarantee/warranty against issues like this.
If they disagree about redoing the tint, then a full refund should be given and you should have it done elsewhere.

Did you wait the 3-5 days period and not roll down your windows?
Still, shouldn't effect your rear back window...

I've had several vehicles tinted and only experienced one bubble and that was fixed without any issues.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Gooniej12

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it back. That many bubbles is just unacceptable. Don't take their lame excuses and let them fool u.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 AM
PM-Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have them try one more time. If they screw it up again, ask for refund.
I had this on my Lexus. I got it tinted 4x and still wasnt happy with it.
A speck of dust here and there can be expected, but multiple per window is unacceptable
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I've had 2 G's (and a few other vehicles) tinted and never had any air bubbles.
Side story - When I shopped around for 3M VS clear bra, one of the local shops told me there would be some air bubbles and they would eventually go away. The shop I ended up going to (drove over an hour to get there) told me that their should not and would not be any air or water bubbles. They were correct. I picked up my car after leaving it with them 4 hours and I couldn't see the clear bra unless I looked a particular angle. They also charged a little less than my local shop.

A good installer will do it properly and you shouldn't see bubbles.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM
noctilucous

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
This should not be happening, have them redo it.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 AM
sinister_g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. You should not have any bubbles after that long. If there is dust being trapped under the tint then the shop is being lazy and not prepping the windows right.