2014 Q50 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
really???
Really really, sniper. On my honor as a former, unmolested Cub Scout.

I rarely listen to music in the car, and when I do the quality is irrelevant because I can't hear stereo. I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years. I have a basic cell phone, but I almost never carry it. And we ditched cable TV about 10 years ago, with zero regrets. So from my POV, I purchased a 6MT Sport Sedan with some luxury gadgets that I couldn't care less about... not at all an entry level luxury car that happens to have some performance abilities.

You know, I'm whoring this thread too much. (You think? LOL) Time to unsubscribe and let you guys kibitz about the Q50 without me.

Adios!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
bitNine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to add some parental input here. I have a 6 month old, and a 10 year old. The G fits us fine, but in comparison to my wife's 2012 Jetta TDI, it's pretty much equal when it comes to amount of space front and rear, without pulling out a tape measure. The rear facing car seat is on the passenger side of each of our cars. When I ride with her, I feel like I'm being smashed into the dash. If I sit in the front passenger seat of the G, it's only slightly more comfortable, but I still don't have a comfortable amount of leg room. In comparison to my old car, which was a 2008 Evo MR, it's about identical as well. 1" isn't going to make much of a difference in any measurement.

I don't care about hip room, but head room pisses me off in the G. I constantly hit my head on the ceiling with only minor movements, and my seat is adjusted all the way down. I'm only 6' tall. I also have my seat adjusted more straight up so I'm closer to the wheel, since I don't drive the car like a bítch.

None of this matters much, as I'm trading the G in for a big giant truck as soon as it's delivered in a couple weeks. I will buy another car at the end of the year, and the Q50 will be considered. It's just better than the Lexus, BMW, Audi and Acura. But we'll see what happens over the next 6 months.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bitNine
I'm going to add some parental input here. I have a 6 month old, and a 10 year old. The G fits us fine, but in comparison to my wife's 2012 Jetta TDI, it's pretty much equal when it comes to amount of space front and rear, without pulling out a tape measure. The rear facing car seat is on the passenger side of each of our cars. When I ride with her, I feel like I'm being smashed into the dash. If I sit in the front passenger seat of the G, it's only slightly more comfortable, but I still don't have a comfortable amount of leg room. In comparison to my old car, which was a 2008 Evo MR, it's about identical as well. 1" isn't going to make much of a difference in any measurement.

I don't care about hip room, but head room pisses me off in the G. I constantly hit my head on the ceiling with only minor movements, and my seat is adjusted all the way down. I'm only 6' tall. I also have my seat adjusted more straight up so I'm closer to the wheel, since I don't drive the car like a bítch.
G:
Front legroom: 43.9 in
Rear legroom: 34.7 in

Jetta:
Front legroom: 41.2 in
Rear legroom: 38.1 in

You feel slightly more comfortable in the front passenger seat of the G with 2.7 in more legroom than the Jetta. However, the Jetta has 3.4 in more legroom in the rear. Try pushing the front passenger seat of the Jetta back a tad. You should be good.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
bitNine

Originally Posted by sniper27
Try pushing the front passenger seat of the Jetta back a tad. You should be good.
The problem is that rear leg room is slightly different from rear-facing car seat room, which is more about the angle of the seat bottom, and the distance from the rear seat back to the front seat back, and depending on recline of the front seat. Both seats are as far back as they will go, without actually making contact with the car seat. Comfy enough for my wife, just not enough leg room for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Oh right...missed the part about rear facing seat.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bitNine
The problem is that rear leg room is slightly different from rear-facing car seat room, which is more about the angle of the seat bottom, and the distance from the rear seat back to the front seat back, and depending on recline of the front seat.
Yep. Most manufacturers "cheat" nowadays by scalloping the rear of the front seats, to gain more leg room (i.e. measured from the seat back of the rear seats, by your bottom, drawing a straight line parallel to your leg right before it reaches the front seat backs.)

When you have a rear facing seat, the top of that seat and the headrest of the front seat basically form a triangle. /\ ... plenty of leg room, but you won't be able to move that front seat too far back, or recline further, once it hits that rear facing seat.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
My guess over 40, income over $120000, no kids, owns or rents house.

Now, educate us with your guess.
From a marketing standpoint, I dont think Infiniti would chose such a small demographic to market a car to. You want broad market appeal and to attract a large range of buyers.

It competes with the 3 series, C Class, A4, TL and IS. I would say the target demographic is men or women who prefer an entry luxury sport sedan. That can be any age, any price range, and any family type.

For every person who might meets your target audience criteria, I bet there are 10 people on this board who dont.

I bought the G37 coupe when I was 27, personal income under 100k, and I owned my house. Ill be considering a Q50 sedan (along with an Audi S3, CLA45 AMG, Audi S4, 335ix) and now Im 31, income over 100k, own house, and planning on having kids in a few years. Now my wife also works and makes the same amount I do, and we have an SUV as our 2nd car...... which is the one we use a lot because the coupe is rather limited in use.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
From a marketing standpoint, I dont think Infiniti would chose such a small demographic to market a car to. You want broad market appeal and to attract a large range of buyers.

It competes with the 3 series, C Class, A4, TL and IS. I would say the target demographic is men or women who prefer an entry luxury sport sedan. That can be any age, any price range, and any family type.

For every person who might meets your target audience criteria, I bet there are 10 people on this board who dont.

I bought the G37 coupe when I was 27, personal income under 100k, and I owned my house. Ill be considering a Q50 sedan (along with an Audi S3, CLA45 AMG, Audi S4, 335ix) and now Im 31, income over 100k, own house, and planning on having kids in a few years. Now my wife also works and makes the same amount I do, and we have an SUV as our 2nd car...... which is the one we use a lot because the coupe is rather limited in use.
I'll bet the bold holds true for any demographic by any car company, since by definition a demographic is a hypothetical aggregate.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 PM
lockon

Did none of you people whining about the name change read the press release about this? The name change was partly due to the fact that simple engine displacement does not reflect performance anymore. There are super chargers and turbo chargers on smaller engines that outperform larger displacement engines.

The engine size badge was probably added precisely because people whined about the dropping of the engine size from the name. In any case it's small and tasteful.

For me personally, I like the overall design but the jury is still out on the front facia - it's too busy for my taste.

Regarding the whole discussion about the comparison to the German cars: it was a moot point for me. When I bought my G35 in 2007 there was nothing in the German lineup that could compare in terms of tech and power in the sub $50k category.

Now, I'm not sure what I will do. I need to lease a car this year for tax reasons but I'm a little afraid of 1st year models ( of course my 2007 was first year and I have no major issue with it). One thing is for sure: I'll NEVER buy a 3 series BMW... They are so cliche for entry level buyer saying "I've made it". Further more, I spend a lot of time in Germany and aside from the 3 series wagon, the 3 series is a bit of a joke for mid level professionals. I snicker every time I see a manager or VP drive up to work in a 3 series. Just my opinion.

As I said, not sure what ill do yet... I like my G35x (with full tech, nav, wood trim plus Hotchkis anti-sway bars) so much that I just can't stand the thought of parting with it... But I have to eventually.

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Even more confusing is this 3.7 badge on the front fender I really don't follow the name change to not use engine size to describe the car but here is a big 3.7 on the side of the car.

Last edited by lockon; 06-09-2013 at 12:46 AM.