G37 Sedan

Carbon Signal Spec IN Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
It looks good on the uneven slopped drive I have in front of my house, but in the parking lot on perfectly level ground the front sits pretty high.
Yes, BLamb, that's absolutely one of my (very few) gripes about the Chin on the Sport Sedan. For example, I think the front bumper on the IPL looks completely ridiculous because of the design at OEM height.

But this little CF lip seems more of a trim piece than an actual lip or chin, know what I mean?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with you, something about the sport oem lip doesn't sit right with me. Infiniti did a better job integrating the non sport lip, IMO. The thing that is appealing though is that the oem piece will fit/install seamlessly, which is not guaranteed on an aftermarket piece. The only thing holding me back from the carbon signal lip. At least until someone actually buys one and posts good feedback.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, BLamb, that's absolutely one of my (very few) gripes about the Chin on the Sport Sedan. For example, I think the front bumper on the IPL looks completely ridiculous because of the design at OEM height.

But this little CF lip seems more of a trim piece than an actual lip or chin, know what I mean?
I getcha, I think it has the potential to look great, I've just never seen one of them on a non lowered sedan before. Get to be the guinea pig. I'm sure it'll look nice as long as the fit and quality is there. (Though I might secretly be hoping it doesn't since I've already invested in the OEM lip and don't want buyers remorse

I agree on the IPL at stock height, almost looks like its a shovel attached to the bottom designed to take peoples shins out in a collision.

I'd consider lowering, but have ruled it out because of all the hills and steep drives in my area, I'd have scrapes all over the front lip before I even got out of the neighborhood.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I agree on the IPL at stock height, almost looks like its a shovel attached to the bottom designed to take peoples shins out in a collision.
LOL @shovel. It's funny because it's true.

I'd consider lowering, but have ruled it out because of all the hills and steep drives in my area, I'd have scrapes all over the front lip before I even got out of the neighborhood.
I stepped out this afternoon, and noticed that the town had come through trimming trees on the street. There was a mess of branches (nice) in front of my yard on the road, and I thought to push it aside while there. My point for this long-winded setup is that I stopped the car half in my driveway, and half on the road... and I've a pretty severe incline to my driveway.

Getting back into the car, I couldn't help but realize my front bumper was like a 1/2" off the pavement.

In other words, I don't have the luxury to lower, even if I wanted to. So with this CF lip, or any lip... if it reduces clearance by even a 1/2", then I'm probably screwed anyway.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
docaam

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That white car is one of my friends he did part near fogs in vinyl as few of you said.

Some pictures of same lip one mine.

Name:  IMG_4459_zpsd929ea4f.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  113.2 KB
Name:  IMG_3405_zps06cbbe7e.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  71.2 KB

I dont appreciate comments of a replica not stopping anyone but when they did it here along with two other lips and side skirts and diffuser for this lip they said very openly that its inspired from INGs lip for 370z.

Did one more which was on my car before not a replica at all.
Name:  1d4db29b.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  a11657c3.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  92.5 KB

Funny thing is they did a V2 fenders for 370z few months back and just this week Varis released their fenders for FT86 which are like the one they did.
The following users liked this post:
CarbonSignal (04-02-2014)
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by docaam
That white car is one of my friends he did part near fogs in vinyl as few of you said.
Thank you very much, docaam. Tell your buddy he's got a good eye for what I think is a very interesting idea.

And thanks for the pics of your car with this lip. That close-up is much more revealing than the Carbon Signal pictures.

If you had to say, what do you think the added thickness is for vertical clearance?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
It is definitely a replica. Although CarbonSignal, like AK-X, does produce some original designs, they are a replica company. No debate there.
The following users liked this post:
MistAminER112 (07-20-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
$375. Not a replica of anything I'm aware of.

Infiniti - *CarbonSignal Automotive
375 is pretty good considering this group buy

https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...group-buy.html
Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnsVert
375 is pretty good considering this group buy

https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...group-buy.html
$375 is what's on their website, so IDK what's right or wrong. Just gathering info, is all.

As for all the "replica" talk, that's mostly pointless posturing. There's nothing wrong with a derivative design, and it's not like it means jack here in my suburban neighborhood.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
jorwick

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by docaam

Some pictures of same lip one mine.

I dont appreciate comments of a replica not stopping anyone but when they did it here along with two other lips and side skirts and diffuser for this lip they said very openly that its inspired from INGs lip for 370z.

How is that not a replica of this...

I love your build Docaam and you have done A LOT of legit stuff that no one else can claim but in this particular case CS can not pass this off as inspired from anything else than what they copied.

I just want people to know there are other options out there, whether the buy jdm or not is their personal choice and I'm not trying to start an argument but like I said in this particular case I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Let's back away form the authentic/replica debate here guys. OP said it wasn't a replica. Several of us informed him that it is. OP says it's "similar" and that the debate over authenticity and it's importance is pointless posturing so let's respect his thread and his ability to buy whatever he likes whether we agree or like it or not. I don't see that he started this as another chapter of the replica/authentic debate so let's not take his thread in that direction.

Enjoy your part Rochester.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I realize that there's a whole modding community that spends big $$$ on appearance kits. But that's not why I created the thread, and it's not even remotely a priority with me. My G is just another daily driver that sees very little mileage, the bulk of which is in driving my kids to and from sleepovers. (As fast as I can, LOL)

Saw this seemingly unobtrusive little lip and wanted to know more. And now if feels like I know too much.

I really do like this lip the more I look at it. And now it's on my list. Thanks everyone for your help, particularly docaam, for the pics and the heads-up about the vinyl wrap on the fogs. I'm needing to ponder that one for a while.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

When I change my oil, it seems there's a fraction of an inch clearance getting the front end up on ramps. And THAT'S at OEM height, w/o a chin.

Can't help but wonder what it would mean to put this lip on the car. Longer ramps? Does anyone make longer ramps?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There are a variety of common ramps that would accommodate a car at OEM height with a lip. Blitz (the company that makes cheap plastic gas cans, not the Blitz that makes expensive JDM parts) makes some that are mass marketed and found most everywhere. Race Ramps makes high dollar ones with a gentler approach angle for lower cars who've spent big $$$ on appearance kits and don't want to damage them.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Those "race ramps" are nice! An-n-nd expensive. Car Service Ramps Race Ramps Category

Blitz makes Rhino Ramps, which is what I'm using now. Tough as nails, but like I said... the G's bumper just barely clears.

You're sure a wealth of miscellaneous info sometimes, BB. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Carbon Signal Spec IN Front Lip