Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q50

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM
keraxis

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
sorry..

Sorry.. reread my post and it came across as a rant. Basically america is changing. CAFE standards are going way up. Fleet average has to be 35 mpg by 2020 or they get fined. The only way to get that is smaller fi motors or lifeless cars. Our motor will have to shrink or get bigger depending on what they decide. Most likly a 3 liter twin turbo because of the heritage behind that or a 4 liter that deactivates cylinders down to a 2 liter which i doubt. When you look at fuel consumption our cars suck. They suck because they are fun but still they suck. i avg about 17mpg (mostly commute high traffic) but even the supposed numbers they list are bad. 23 and 33 with a combined of 26 for bmw. ours 17 and 25 with a combined 22 for a manual. we have alot of ground to make up to hit that 35 mpg fleet average. Go test drive a 328 with the 2 liter turbo... you will be pissed when your done. 0 to 60 5.5 seconds 14.1 at 98.2 mph thorough the 1/4. Thats about even with a g37. and they average 23 and 34 mpg. If looking at how stout the 335i motor is that 2 liter is probably no slouch and looking at the 2 liter in the Mitsubishi evo and wrx you can deduct about a 400hp car with proper mods and tune. and the 328 starts at 36k so its made to compete with us.

Originally Posted by crazjayz
Technically, it supposed to cost as much as a C63 AMG in Japan, or about 10 million yen. That's $106k. In other words, about a $10k premium over the GT-R. And if it truly is the GT-R drivetrain in a Q50 body, then that would be quite the car.

With the same options as the 6MT, a 335i is about $9k more.

I don't really understand what you're getting at here. BMW has chosen to move to a forced induced engine (same with MB and Audi) due to EU regulations. Infiniti/Nissan has stuck with NA because they don't have as strict regulations in Japan. I just wish our engines would rev faster and higher. Something more akin to a RS5 or LFA. And everyone knows that IPL is the same as Audi's S-line. It's really all show no go for the price. IMO, they should have dropped the "S" from the sports packages and just sold them as IPL. Much like BMW's M-sport package. Infiniti doesn't have anything that truly competes with AMG, Quattro, or ///M at the time being. Hopefully that will change with the Q50.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by keraxis
Sorry.. reread my post and it came across as a rant. Basically america is changing. CAFE standards are going way up. Fleet average has to be 35 mpg by 2020 or they get fined. The only way to get that is smaller fi motors or lifeless cars. Our motor will have to shrink or get bigger depending on what they decide. Most likly a 3 liter twin turbo because of the heritage behind that or a 4 liter that deactivates cylinders down to a 2 liter which i doubt. When you look at fuel consumption our cars suck. They suck because they are fun but still they suck. i avg about 17mpg (mostly commute high traffic) but even the supposed numbers they list are bad. 23 and 33 with a combined of 26 for bmw. ours 17 and 25 with a combined 22 for a manual. we have alot of ground to make up to hit that 35 mpg fleet average. Go test drive a 328 with the 2 liter turbo... you will be pissed when your done. 0 to 60 5.5 seconds 14.1 at 98.2 mph thorough the 1/4. Thats about even with a g37. and they average 23 and 34 mpg. If looking at how stout the 335i motor is that 2 liter is probably no slouch and looking at the 2 liter in the Mitsubishi evo and wrx you can deduct about a 400hp car with proper mods and tune. and the 328 starts at 36k so its made to compete with us.
Ah, I see what you're getting at now, and I totally agree.

There's only 2 ways to increase MPG, and that's through better engine efficiency (usually through forced induction), or decreasing weight.

I would love to see Nissan/Infiniti go back to a modern version of the VG30DETT. It would be a focus on a historical/iconic engine for them, and a 3.0L, twin-turbo engine, should easily put out the same numbers at the VQ37VHR. They would be able to use it across their whole lineup of cars, and easily tweak the settings for better tq for their crossovers and SUVs. Also, a smaller TT'd engine would ideally also be lighter, helping their mileage rating even more.