Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
SimpsonTide985

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by visualguy
I think what volnedan meant was that the MT driving experience is different, and some people prefer it. It's not so much a matter of control, but a matter of being more engaged. And, no, manually up and down shifting an automatic or DSG/DCT doesn't give you the same experience.
Manuals are dying for a reason...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by nisslover
Plain and simple a manual is just more fun to drive even if it is a little slower now compared to the newer autos. I love the 6spd in my Altima, although it sucks compared to the better manuals out there. it's just FUN! Lol
Not fun when you're in rush-hour trafic 2 hours a day.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
True, but lets wait and see future product announcements.

Although I recently rode in friends 535 and was reminded why I like bmws.
535... with a base price of $54,845. Ouch!

And a 0-60 time of 5.7 sec for both A/T and M/T.

---------------------------------------------------

Observation:

Funny how some people here keep comparing the Q50 to a Kia/Hyundai etc, and even the M... then use BMW/Audi as prime examples of exemplary styling. Um... all BMWs look the same. All Audis look the same. I really don't get it.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
Manuals are dying for a reason...
You have a valid point. I am a manual driver. I like it. I have both a 6MT G sedan and coupe. However automatic transmissions are light years ahead of where they were just a generation ago and continually getting better and better in every way. The market for people who feel they need to shift the gears themselves for the driving experience or to have a connection with the car is shriveling up. The only manuals that will remain in the near future will be in high end purpose built expensive sports cars, and possibly not there either. Just ask Ferrari owners. Like it or not it's leaving and it's probably not coming back. For those who simply can't enjoy driving a car without one, enjoy it while you still can. And while they are still avaiable in cars you can afford to buy.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
535... with a base price of $54,845. Ouch!

And a 0-60 time of 5.7 sec for both A/T and M/T.

---------------------------------------------------

Observation:

Funny how some people here keep comparing the Q50 to a Kia/Hyundai etc, and even the M... then use BMW/Audi as prime examples of exemplary styling. Um... all BMWs look the same. All Audis look the same. I really don't get it.
Add dinan stage 1, 2, or 3 and you won't run 5.7 much longer. Oh, and you do get to keep a factory warranty.

All Bimmers don't look the same unless you are a noob.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if the single canister exhaust will be similar to the coupes exhaust.

my reasoning is based on the run flat tires...which means no spare tire...which means more space under the trunk......space needed for coupe exhaust.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You have a valid point. I am a manual driver. I like it. I have both a 6MT G sedan and coupe. However automatic transmissions are light years ahead of where they were just a generation ago and continually getting better and better in every way. The market for people who feel they need to shift the gears themselves for the driving experience or to have a connection with the car is shriveling up. The only manuals that will remain in the near future will be in high end purpose built expensive sports cars, and possibly not there either. Just ask Ferrari owners. Like it or not it's leaving and it's probably not coming back. For those who simply can't enjoy driving a car without one, enjoy it while you still can. And while they are still avaiable in cars you can afford to buy.
We should all keep in mind that the extinction (too harsh?) of the MT is a North American thing (not sure about Mexico). It will inevitably happen in Europe but for now they still prefer MT in well over half the vehicles. I have read that >80% are MT in Europe.

BTW - love the new Avatar.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
My bad I mis-spoke ( or rather mis-type) If you were as discerning as you are condescending, you might have known I meant no torque converter but apparently that's giving you too much credit.
Brother...it was a JOKE! I knew EXACTLY what you meant man...Simply being a wise ***, how could I possible not know what you meant.

My god, it must truly be that time of the month...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
We should all keep in mind that the extinction (too harsh?) of the MT is a North American thing (not sure about Mexico). It will inevitably happen in Europe but for now they still prefer MT in well over half the vehicles. I have read that >80% are MT in Europe.
In China too, but for a different reason, it's cheaper.

I know Ferrari no longer makes MT, for a good reason.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by 00Max00
I know Ferrari no longer makes MT, for a good reason.
At the time that the Californion sold about 8000 units 2 of them were MT. Not 2%. 2 cars. Since the MT is no longer offered, that actually makes them ultra rare and possibly valiable in the futurei fhtye are kept in collector condition, even though they are one of the lowest level Ferraris over.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
Yeah, I had no idea that the JX is this big 7-seater and yet is the same price as the G37.
umm no, I would be concerned if you paid 58k for a loaded G or 42k for a base one. the jx is priced the same as a FX
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Brother...it was a JOKE! I knew EXACTLY what you meant man...Simply being a wise ***, how could I possible not know what you meant.
I stand down... Been dealing with true @$$holes this week and I just went into @$$hole-destroy mode.

Originally Posted by chilibowl
My god, it must truly be that time of the month...
I'll be better by the weekend I promise.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Dgglr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I bet the next thing for MT will be "shift-by-wire" with a pedal feel emulator...but then again what the heck do I know
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Dgglr
I bet the next thing for MT will be "shift-by-wire" with a pedal feel emulator...but then again what the heck do I know
Honestly, they should just take their “Synchromesh Rev-Match” feature from the 370Z ONE step further, and just put tiny electrical motors inside of the manual gearbox, and design the motors so they make the shift for you!
Then, when you just feel like taking full control, you just press a button called “Raw Sport” and it disengages the auto control, and gives the driver full control
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I just went into @$$hole-destroy mode.
I will simply quote this phrase without further comment.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan