G37 Sedan

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Am I the only person concerned that the price of this car is about to increase dramatically? I’m under the impression that Infiniti is no longer content being the ‘value leader’ and have decided to compete with Audi, BMW and MB on cache – I suspect that a fully loaded hybrid model will be will into the 60’s.

Now the actually transaction price may be admittedly lower than the MSRP but I’m not sure if the rest of the car kingdom sees them a being on the same level as ‘zee Germans.

Also this may be my engineering background at work here but I’m not a fan of overly complex systems especially in what should be a low end car. I’m not sure I’d want to stick around for post warranty work especially for things where I most likely have to go back to the dealer for parts/service etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
dagon68
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
There's "excessive acceleration" here in Texas, usually you only have to worry about it if you spin the tires and a cop sees you.
Yes I have gotten a ticket for this before "exhibition of acceleration" sucks! Didnt even spin the tires but the car I was driving was loud
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Am I the only person concerned that the price of this car is about to increase dramatically? I’m under the impression that Infiniti is no longer content being the ‘value leader’ and have decided to compete with Audi, BMW and MB on cache – I suspect that a fully loaded hybrid model will be will into the 60’s.

Now the actually transaction price may be admittedly lower than the MSRP but I’m not sure if the rest of the car kingdom sees them a being on the same level as ‘zee Germans.

Also this may be my engineering background at work here but I’m not a fan of overly complex systems especially in what should be a low end car. I’m not sure I’d want to stick around for post warranty work especially for things where I most likely have to go back to the dealer for parts/service etc.
I have no more information on that than you do, but I seriously doubt the price will increase a lot over the current model.

As far a reliability, all you can really do is base it on the history of the car and how often it tends to break compared to other models you're considering.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,607 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have no more information on that than you do, but I seriously doubt the price will increase a lot over the current model.
I agree. Five hundred to a grand more for the base sedan maybe. And upwards to a $6K premium on the Hybrid.

Just guesses, of course. But I don't see any justification for price increases unless they start putting Audi badges on the car. And even then, that's only an explanation, certainly not a justification.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I wonder if they'll keep with the "Stacking options" strategy like they currently do, ex. sport requires nav and premium. Seems like there is a lot of "optional" equipment listed. The stacking tiers is really where the price differentiation comes in IMO.

Just for fun I built a 328i Msport sedan on BMW's website the other day, loaded it up with most of the options and I was at $53k! It wasn't even the 335i
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

This is how almost all manufacturers do pricing now. Packages that require other packages.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk

With My computer science and math background I'm concerned about complex systems as well. But this is the way these sedans are going. Lots of electronic doodads with computers that could fail and/or cause ripple effects. Look at what Acura is stating its going to do in the new TL. More overly complex systems, lots of hardware and lots of software.

I'm hoping the base "q" price is on parity with the current "g". Time will tell.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You sound like hot rod guys back 40 years ago when these fancy schmancy Japanese car companies started making futuristic cars with computer controlled brains and electronics controlling the fuel getting to the cylinders instead of a carburetor. How can something like that possibly work? It's break down for sure. Electronic fuel injection will never work, give me a pump, some jets to spray it, and a cable to control the flow and I'm all good!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Track Star
Actually there is, you can be cited for "reckless driving" ... watch out for cops out there
I only heard that the cops could cite you for chirping the tire going off the line. You will be fine if you don't make tire noise.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I follow rules one, two, three, four and five and my fascia and hood and windshield are beat up. In the great garden state, you drive the turnpike in the construction zones, 287, routes 9 and 35 and others, you can have a book of rules, but your gonna get rocks flying at you.

In the great garden state the police will ticket fast starts as racing, if you act like a jerk on the streets.
The rules are for damage control not elimination.

They better catching me on-ramps where I usually vent my stress after a day of works.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I only gave that price point as I expect a complementary/obligatory signs of the time price increase because it’s a new model. Expect an increase just for leather, which in turn will almost certainly require me to get a sun roof and LED’s as part of some package and as currently configured MSRP is about $47-48K in what amounts to the base powertrain. As with most other manufactures the difference between engines are around 4K in the case of the M there's about a 6k difference between the M37 and the M Hybrid – assuming (yes a big if) pricing is similar that that’s quite a bit for this car.
Much like the 3series I see tons of 328i’s but thus far I’ve seen only two 335i’s on the road. Just wondering is Infiniti’s strategy is to not sell tons of the hybrid models to avoid possible costly future repairs and have this car only for CAFE requirements. In the two yrs or so that the M hybrid has been available I’ve seen only one on the road and I practically had one dealer beg me to take one off of his hands. 8.5k off even before we sat down.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

What you see on the road where you live may not be an indicator of anything other than what people in your neighborhood drive. Where do you live? I live in the burbs of Houston and I seldom ever see another Infiniti at all in my area. Yet when I go to the other side of town, I see a lot more. When I got o Austin I see them everywhere.

The base model M starts at $48.7K. The base models G sedan starts at $37.3K about $11K cheaper. M hybrid starts at $54.7K and tops out at $66.8 with all option pkgs, no add on accessories. If pricing difference stays about consistent that puts a fully loaded Q50 hybrid in the neighborhood of $54-55k. Just hypothesizing. I'd be surprised if it's more.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,607 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
What you see on the road where you live may not be an indicator of anything other than what people in your neighborhood drive.
Exactly that. Here we have an East vs. West thing going on; (which is east or west of the Genesee River that runs right through downtown.) West Side is predominately domestics. East Side is predominately imports. There's more money on the East Side.

I live on the North Side. We're a mixed bag.

And there's only one Infiniti Dealership. They're on the South Side, LOL!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very lucky in that I see EVERYTHING on my commute, and around the town where I live.
I'll see well over 60 BMWs on any given day (I did a few counts driving home), almost as many Audis.
I'll see Ferraris in the summer months (there are a few 458s in the town where I live), a few Lambos here and there (I saw the only Aventador in Canada hauling *** down the highway). Maserati, Lotus, Alfas. There's a Fisker Karma down from my office.

Porsches EVERYWHERE (also there is a dealership across from my office :P)
Infinitis all over the place too.

Astons on occasion.

One vehicle I have yet to see is a Bugatti Veyron...hopefully one day.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
BINGO... This is more than just an advice, it is the RULE! Also try to keep your speed down when possible, never follow trucks, watch out SUV/crossovers without splash guards...

Over recent years, I figured that most people that complaining about paint problem does not own more than one newer cars, as the matter of fact is that this problem is universal, blame it on EPA if you had to take the pick.
I always stay back from traffic at speed as I've learned since about 2002 that the paint is a universal problem. I've only had one used car in the last 12 years and 8 new ones, just never seen such fragile paint as I've seen on my 07 & my 09 Gs. I know Hyundai for one example has a better paint process. But yes, all auto paint is much more damage-prone than before the Low VOC regulations went into effect.
Maybe Nissan/Infiniti is putting some effort into making their paint a bit more durable (I hope).

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan