Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
keep a more-than-reasonable distance between you and the cars in front of you on the highway.
BINGO... This is more than just an advice, it is the RULE! Also try to keep your speed down when possible, never follow trucks, watch out SUV/crossovers without splash guards...

Over recent years, I figured that most people that complaining about paint problem does not own more than one newer cars, as the matter of fact is that this problem is universal, blame it on EPA if you had to take the pick.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Max00
never follow trucks, watch out SUV/crossovers without splash guards...
This and this.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I always give extra distance behind cars w/o splash guards, or move out of their lane entirely. Once you start, after a while noticing things like that about the cars around you becomes second nature. And construction trucks... avoid them like the plague. This doesn't mean you have to drive like a paranoid old lady, because I don't. (Also ask my wife, LOL!)

It's similar to the consideration taken when parking the car in a lot, particularly in a car without body side molding.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I suspect the problem is a Nissan-thing, and not just Infiniti, because after owning 3 new Nissans, I would make the same gripe.

Also... you own a black car. That doesn't mean it chips any easier, but it does mean the chips scream at you for attention every time you look at the car, much more so than other colors.

Lastly, keep a more-than-reasonable distance between you and the cars in front of you on the highway. While that's good advice for a number of reasons, it's not always practical... I get that. Most major metropolitan areas are a battle-zone for highway dominance. Fortunately here in Rochester, it's not so bad.
^This, plus a good 3M clear bra and your G (any vehicle for that matter) will look beautiful for many years.

I was recently behind a road plow/salter, being bombarded with salt and sand. I cringed at the thought of what I might see later on when I would inspect for damage. After a good wash, there was not one sign of the onslaught (in protected areas) she faced earlier in the day.
That said, my DIY painted grille will need re-DIYing
I am positive that no manufacturers paint would have stood up to what the 3M faced.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been going over the exterior 360 obsessively and am in love with this new design. Such an improvement over the previous sedans. When it's time to turn in my 2011 Coupe (IF we have a second child), I'll feel much better in having to get into a sedan with this new Q.

Really looking forward to sitting in the car; very curious about the seats, and how everything feels from the driver-side.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
dagon68
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ACoupe
very curious about the seats, and how everything feels from the driver-side.
Finally someone that will wait to judge this car when they can actually sit in it and drive it!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This doesn't mean you have to drive like a paranoid old lady, because I don't. (Also ask my wife, LOL!)
LOL, I am with you on this one. It would be pointless to have a 328 hp sports sedan and end up driving like a grandma just to avoid a few chips in the paint. My upper limit on the highway is, however, 75-80 mph, but I accelerate like crazy, that where all the fun is, and no ticket as extra bonus. There's no law dictates how quickly you can get from 0-60, isn't it? I have only two tiny chips in the hood so far, you have to look really hard to find them, not too shabby by following rule 1, 2 & 3.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
ACoupe

"Finally someone that will wait to judge this car when they can actually sit in it and drive it!"
It just makes SENSE. I mean, photos tell only a partial story. How many people have said this vehicle was "ugly" based on the glamour shots / renderings, only to say it's beautiful when they saw the reveal photos from the autoshow??

I understand the passion towards the brand, but we should always just take a breath before going nuts, it helps with the objectivity.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
LOL, I am with you on this one. It would be pointless to have a 328 hp sports sedan and end up driving like a grandma just to avoid a few chips in the paint. My upper limit on the highway is, however, 75-80 mph, but I accelerate like crazy, that where all the fun is, and no ticket as extra bonus. There's no law dictates how quickly you can get from 0-60, isn't it? I have only two tiny chips in the hood so far, you have to look really hard to find them, not too shabby by following rule 1, 2 & 3.

I haven't had my car on the highway in over a year. Yes that sucks as I bought it as a road trip car. I already had the front clip repainted in August, not doing it again. Once I get the time to get the clear bra put on then I will take it out. It doesn't matter how far back you are when you are on the interstate you are going to get rock chips. I lost a windshield the other day when a rock came from a car............going the other way! Third windshield in my Jeep in 3 years. At least the paint on my Jeep doesn't chip except on the door hinges, why in the heck is Nissans paint so crappy? Not all car companies have that issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Sadly, in Ontario, there is. Rapid acceleration falls under 'Stunt' driving in the Highway Traffic Act.
Check your local laws.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Originally Posted by ACoupe
It just makes SENSE. I mean, photos tell only a partial story. How many people have said this vehicle was "ugly" based on the glamour shots / renderings, only to say it's beautiful when they saw the reveal photos from the autoshow?
That's actually fair, even though I still feel like I've got strong opinions. For example, I was in love (lust) with the new Camaro and Challenger for the longest time, until I actually saw the cars in person, sat in them and test-drove.

No wait, that's the opposite of what you're thinking.

Anyway, same thing, just in reverse.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
ACoupe

"Sadly, in Ontario, there is. Rapid acceleration falls under 'Stunt' driving in the Highway Traffic Act.
Check your local laws."
Uh oh...

"That's actually fair, even though I still feel like I've got strong opinions. For example, I was in love (lust) with the new Camaro and Challenger for the longest time, until I actually saw the cars in person, sat in them and test-drove."
Ha!
Yeah, that can happen too. I take the same approach with movie trailers and food: Until I've tried/eaten/seen something, I have to try and keep an open mind.

And I'm not saying opinions are bad, but passion tends to lead to flying off the handle, which I've been known to do :P

On a Q50 related note, I'd REALLY love to see them option a dark headliner for this car. I have dark leather in my current Coupe and have had it in my 2007 and yet the headliner is cream? I really don't like the two-tone look. I can understand why they might do it (keeps things a little brighter inside), they still should offer an option to have a matching dark one for those who want it.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Track Star

Actually there is, you can be cited for "reckless driving" ... watch out for cops out there
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I follow rules one, two, three, four and five and my fascia and hood and windshield are beat up. In the great garden state, you drive the turnpike in the construction zones, 287, routes 9 and 35 and others, you can have a book of rules, but your gonna get rocks flying at you.

In the great garden state the police will ticket fast starts as racing, if you act like a jerk on the streets.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Track Star
Actually there is, you can be cited for "reckless driving" ... watch out for cops out there
There's "excessive acceleration" here in Texas, usually you only have to worry about it if you spin the tires and a cop sees you.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
volnedan

In regards to the criticism of not offering a 6MT, this is a personal preference that many people, including myself, list a manual transmission as a "must have" for purchase.

Generally I only consider cars that offer a true manual. This is my only gripe with the Q50. I took advantage of the 18 month lease deal on my current sedan in July this year so I could get into a Q50 when my lease is up this December, but now I'm in a pickle because no 6MT model offered in 2014 model year.

I was hoping for a turbo-4, which I believe will come in the future. Infiniti must stay competitive, especially now that BMW released the 320 with an even lower spec 2.0L 4 cylinder engine. That thing will boost sales another 20k-30k per year for them.

I understand Infiniti will finally come out with the 4-banger and a 6MT, but what the hell? It took you 7 years to come out with a new restyle and you sh-t the bed at launch? All while every single one of your competitors released a 4-banger and manual option? Come on now: 328, A4, ATS all have that configuration. I know the C250 does not offer manual, but lets get serious. At least they joined the party.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sedan