G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the '11 AWD system REALLY work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Yes, it does. The manual does not mention anything about 50/50 split.
This is true.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Why? The system we have is the best of all worlds compared to every other AWD system out there (and I have owned and driven plenty of them).

You always want to have RWD as a base (if you care about sporty driving that is) -- check.

You want to be able to have instantaneous and smooth transition to AWD when needed, with no torque steer -- check.

You want to be able to lock it into 50/50 for deep snow/mud/gravel/etc. -- check.

You want two-wheel drive for better fuel economy for the 95% of the time you don't need the extra traction -- check.

You want AWD for launch (which our system has, based on speed and throttle position, it always launches from a rest in AWD mode and then quickly reverts to RWD when it figures out you are not slipping) -- check.

What's left that the Nissan system is not superior for?

Having a permanent 60/40 or 50/50 split has only one advantage--predictability. This is rendered irrelevant in the world of electronic traction control and other nannies. It is also a double-edged sword: it is predictable that you will understeer under heavy throtlle while turning. I prefer the balance of RWD (that all sports cars use), but the "nanny" of AWD ready to jump in in a split second if I screw-up or some unexpected loose surface or road problem suddenly appears.

I would love for somone to list a scenario where the ATTESA system is inferior to mechanical AWD (Audi larger models and Subaru manual transmission), the traction controlled open diff systems like BMW and M-B or Haldex (or Haldex-like) systems on FWD cars (pretty much everything else out there).
Good points they are - perhaps I have not really understood the different scenarios as above. All I've been familiar with is 'full-time AWD' on some cars and thought that was the best there was, anything less is inferior.

Ok maybe #2 isn't so bad, just would be nice if the sales, service and others had their stories straight, eh?

I do know no matter what I can't really get wheelspin, even on wet pavement. Dry pavement it just launches. To do anything fun off public roads the traction button has to be off - tried to fishtail once and that was the only way I could get it to do anything, otherwise it would just stay 'stuck'.

thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
What does it say though
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Wouldnt it say how this works in the manual
I found talk about the AWD on 5-7 and 5-44 in the manual, including the traction control, but nothing that I could find that outlines how the AWD function REALLY works.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Yes, it does. The manual does not mention anything about 50/50 split.
nor does the TSM
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Most of the articles I find on the ATTESA E-TS system say that the "S" or "SNOW" button bypasses the ATTESA computer and locks the system in 50/50 torque split below 25 mph.

How do we determine if this is true in our case?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by gsm026
Most of the articles I find on the ATTESA E-TS system say that the "S" or "SNOW" button bypasses the ATTESA computer and locks the system in 50/50 torque split below 25 mph.

How do we determine if this is true in our case?
It is true. As someone above said, if it were true, you should be able to feel it in the steering and some driveline binding when making a sharp turn. Well, you can feel it--I alrerady confirmed that above. Maybe it is easier for me because I have 255 width tires, but I also know what driveline binding is--I used to drive a 1987 Audi Turbo Quattro 5-speed manual with a manual centre locking differential. If you ever forgot to unlock it on dry pavement, you wouldn't mistake driveline binding!!!

The G manual is useless. But ATTESA documentation explains it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
It is true. As someone above said, if it were true, you should be able to feel it in the steering and some driveline binding when making a sharp turn. Well, you can feel it--I alrerady confirmed that above. Maybe it is easier for me because I have 255 width tires, but I also know what driveline binding is--I used to drive a 1987 Audi Turbo Quattro 5-speed manual with a manual centre locking differential. If you ever forgot to unlock it on dry pavement, you wouldn't mistake driveline binding!!!

The G manual is useless. But ATTESA documentation explains it.
Any links to share? Without anything concrete we're all guessing.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
This is from Infiniti's Virtual Academy (the one we use to train & certify dealer's & sales people).

On the Intelligent AWD:

ATTESA E-TS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) is an advanced AWD system that automatically distributes engine power among the four wheels depending on driving conditions.

It is derived from the same system used on the legendary Skyline GT-R in Japan.

The sophisticated rear-wheel-drive-based system uses microprocessors to deliver optimum power to each axle. It’s so advanced it automatically engages the front axle for no-slip start-ups and can differentiate between entering a corner and exiting one.

With millisecond response time, it balances the power among all four wheels, so the rear wheels provide power entering a turn and all four wheels can generate an exhilarating boost at exit. Under normal road conditions, the system operates in rear-wheel drive for improved efficiency.
As for Snow Mode

Snow mode helps provide greater control when accelerating in snow or other slippery conditions by helping reduce drive-wheel slippage. Snow mode makes the throttle less sensitive by slowing the rate of throttle opening.
The AWD is what engages all four wheels in the snow as soon as it detects a variance in speed, not the snow button.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^ You can bet if the snow button locked the diffs 50/50 it would be all over Infiniti's documentation.

thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I’ve extensively researched the function of the snow mode switch and discussed it in other threads. The best information I’ve been able to find indicates that in the '04, '05, '06 x model's snow button locks in 50/50 AWD up to 12 mph (and reduces the throttle response), and in the '07 to '12 x models the 50/50 AWD lock function was deleted and the snow button only reduces the throttle response.

From the Infiniti 2010 G37 Sedan Service Manual, page EC-513:

“SNOW MODE SWITCH:
The snow mode switch signal is sent to the “unified meter and A/C amp.” from the snow mode switch. The “unified meter and A/C amp.” then sends the signal to the ECM via the CAN communication line. The snow mode is used for driving or starting the vehicle on snowy roads or slippery areas. If the snow mode is activated, the vehicle speed will not accelerate as quickly as normal to avoid vehicle slip. In other words, ECM controls rapid engine torque change by controlling the electric throttle control actuator operating speed.”

This is one reason there is so much confusion about the function of the snow button. It depends on what model year x you have.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Saad Ashraf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTESA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia explains it fairly well. The G37s use the ATTESA ET-S system, the step below the ETS Pro which is used in the GTR.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by Saad Ashraf
ATTESA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia explains it fairly well. The G37s use the ATTESA ET-S system, the step below the ETS Pro which is used in the GTR.
Wow! That's an awesome setup.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome! Cleared a lot of confusions!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by alanz
Awesome! Cleared a lot of confusions!
Including what I already said above that the Snow button does lock 50/50 up to the prescribed speed. You can easily feel it on dry pavement if you have any mechancial sensitivity.

Quick Reply: How does the '11 AWD system REALLY work?