G37 Sedan

G37xS Sedan AWD question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 PM
burtonsnowbds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37xS Sedan AWD question

I've tried to find the answer to this question everywhere... Im new to AWD cars and just bought an 09 G37xS Sedan. Does AWD mean that it is constantly engaged, if not is the AWD constantly engaged on the G37x?

Can you change this? How do you turn it on and off, etc.....
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
The Infiniti Intelligent AWD system acts like a RWD car in most instances. It delivers power to the rear axle unless there's a loss of traction, in which case, it begins sending power to the front axle. The only way to engage AWD manually is to press the 'snow' mode on the console.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkmura
The Infiniti Intelligent AWD system acts like a RWD car in most instances. It delivers power to the rear axle unless there's a loss of traction, in which case, it begins sending power to the front axle. The only way to engage AWD manually is to press the 'snow' mode on the console.
I believe that is incorrect. The snow button does little more than adjust throttle response and I believe it sends more power to the front coming closer to a 50/50 split when under 25mph. Above 25mph, it becomes 100% rear wheel drive unless slip is detected, at which point it could send some power to the front.

When not in snow mode: Under 25mph, the car is 20/80 rear biased split. Above 25mph, again, it will be 100% rwd and will send some power forward if it's needed. The exact mph and percentages are up for debate I believe.

AWD is very very very different from 4WD even though many people use them synonymously. AWD can't be "disengaged" and is always working for you. 4WD trucks, for example, are usually 100% rwd and will not send power forward unless it is in 4WD mode. Do some research on the internet, it is pretty interesting to read up about if you're into that kind of thing.

Four-wheel drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ATTESA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
burtonsnowbds

Thanks, I thought that was the difference between AWD and 4WD. That was a great description. What is your experience with the AWD, do you feel it responds well? Obviously now that I live in Florida I probably won't use the "Snow" mode too often.

I was surprised to find that all my searches for infiniti AWD came up empty, maybe i wasnt searching the right things.

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 AM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by burtonsnowbds
What is your experience with the AWD, do you feel it responds well?
Depends on the AWD system. Something like a Subie that is constant 50/50 split feels much different than a G that is rear biased in the snow.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
AWD is a nice tranny to have in a climate with snow. It's pretty responsive as when jumping on the has.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
burtonsnowbds

Originally Posted by jddssc121
Depends on the AWD system. Something like a Subie that is constant 50/50 split feels much different than a G that is rear biased in the snow.

I was talking about experience with the G? Is it pretty responsive in wet weather?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I was talking about experience with the G? Is it pretty responsive in wet weather?
Yup it can transfer power in milliseconds. You can go WOT from a stop on wet roads with good tires. I wouldn't recommend doing that in snow/ice though, you will get some slip even with winter tires.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
jddssc121

it's completely fine in rainy stuff.

It's acceptable in snow, but not amazing (my WRX is much much better in the snow). If i lived somewhere where it snowed heavy and frequent (The northeast for example), I'd have a Subie, BMW or Audi, or some other car as my DD
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
burtonsnowbds

oh how i miss the NE weather..... remember driving home from HS on a snowday in my mustang and a 10 minute drive took 45 minutes. Now THAT is a snow car.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
it's completely fine in rainy stuff.

It's acceptable in snow, but not amazing (my WRX is much much better in the snow). If i lived somewhere where it snowed heavy and frequent (The northeast for example), I'd have a Subie, BMW or Audi, or some other car as my DD
Idk, the g is my dd and I live in the northeast.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
spect2k

Having come from a Subaru Legacy Spec B before the Infiniti, I can tell you without a doubt that I miss the Subaru AWD system.

The truth is, there are multiple iterations of Subaru's symmetrical AWD. Generally depending on the transmission, the AWD system will be slightly different. The STI is very well known for it's driver controlled center diff (DCCD). Some start with more of a rwd bias, others with a FWD bias, and others with an even split. Having not had a Subaru for several years now, I forget which tranny is matched to which system (e.g. 4AT, 5AT, 5MT, 6MT).

Aside from the AWD bias, the biggest difference between Subaru's AWD and Infiniti's AWD is that Subaru uses a proactive system while Infiniti uses a reactive system. The benefits of Infiniti's system is that it provides better gas mileage and more driving fun (rwd) than the Subaru's system would. On a day to day basis, the ground is generally dry. For that reason, the Infiniti system works well. When you deal with more snow and more wet roads, you might be willing to sacrifice the gas mileage and the driving experience for a more proactive system like Subaru's. (don't misread by saying that the Infiniti gets good mpg, my subie got much better, but if you put the subie system on the infiniti, it'd be even worse running the 4 wheels at all times.)

As for the driving experience, I don't care how fast a system can move the power around, once it starts slipping, you can feel it. The Infiniti quickly recovers and does a nice job. The difference is though, the Subaru doesn't slip to begin with. Regardless of how long it takes to shift the power around, when the car doesn't slip at all, it makes all of the difference. When it slips and power needs to be sent around, you can feel it and the traction light starts blinking and diminishes throttle, etc. That sucks... When driving in the rain though, it shouldn't happen very often on good tires. In the snow, my Infiniti with winter tires doesn't hold a candle to my last Subaru on good all-season tires when accelerating. The Subie AWD system is just so impressive. Being that AWD only helps with accelerating, stopping the Subaru with all-seasons is another story... lol
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So the AWD turns into RWD once it hits 25mph until slip is detected? But how come every GTR dyno videos I've seen, it's always rolling on 4 wheels just like this one?

And g37x as well:
Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
spect2k

Lol. Because if it weren't on that kind of dyno, it would drive off when under 25mph. Also, it would think that the rear wheels are slipping due to the fact that the front wheels aren't moving. It would then send power to the front and you would once again go driving off. Are you willing to take that chance with your 40K car? The car wants all 4 wheels to be moving at the same speed and will move power around to ensure that it does. Above 25mph, the front wheels won't just stop turning on a dyno. It isn't a RWD car after that - it is a reactive AWD car with a RWD bias.

Aside from anything else, the GT-R uses a varied version of the ATTESA AWD system - I don't know much about that.

Last edited by spect2k; 06-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
burtonsnowbds

Originally Posted by spect2k
Having come from a Subaru Legacy Spec B before the Infiniti, I can tell you without a doubt that I miss the Subaru AWD system.

The truth is, there are multiple iterations of Subaru's symmetrical AWD. Generally depending on the transmission, the AWD system will be slightly different. The STI is very well known for it's driver controlled center diff (DCCD). Some start with more of a rwd bias, others with a FWD bias, and others with an even split. Having not had a Subaru for several years now, I forget which tranny is matched to which system (e.g. 4AT, 5AT, 5MT, 6MT).

Aside from the AWD bias, the biggest difference between Subaru's AWD and Infiniti's AWD is that Subaru uses a proactive system while Infiniti uses a reactive system. The benefits of Infiniti's system is that it provides better gas mileage and more driving fun (rwd) than the Subaru's system would. On a day to day basis, the ground is generally dry. For that reason, the Infiniti system works well. When you deal with more snow and more wet roads, you might be willing to sacrifice the gas mileage and the driving experience for a more proactive system like Subaru's. (don't misread by saying that the Infiniti gets good mpg, my subie got much better, but if you put the subie system on the infiniti, it'd be even worse running the 4 wheels at all times.)

As for the driving experience, I don't care how fast a system can move the power around, once it starts slipping, you can feel it. The Infiniti quickly recovers and does a nice job. The difference is though, the Subaru doesn't slip to begin with. Regardless of how long it takes to shift the power around, when the car doesn't slip at all, it makes all of the difference. When it slips and power needs to be sent around, you can feel it and the traction light starts blinking and diminishes throttle, etc. That sucks... When driving in the rain though, it shouldn't happen very often on good tires. In the snow, my Infiniti with winter tires doesn't hold a candle to my last Subaru on good all-season tires when accelerating. The Subie AWD system is just so impressive. Being that AWD only helps with accelerating, stopping the Subaru with all-seasons is another story... lol

Another good explanation. As i said before I am new to this AWD thing and the only time it will probably be useful to me is when we get the Summer blinding rain. However, I like to know about the car i own and i appreciate the explanation greatly.

Maybe you can answer this... On the back of the X there is a cylindrical piece (maybe sensor) mounted behind the rear tires, is this an AWD component? Its about the size of a silver dollar in diameter. I haven't checked a Journey or regular Sport to see if it is present yet.

Quick Reply: G37xS Sedan AWD question