G37 Sedan

G37xS Sedan AWD question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spect2k
Having come from a Subaru Legacy Spec B before the Infiniti, I can tell you without a doubt that I miss the Subaru AWD system.

The truth is, there are multiple iterations of Subaru's symmetrical AWD. Generally depending on the transmission, the AWD system will be slightly different. The STI is very well known for it's driver controlled center diff (DCCD). Some start with more of a rwd bias, others with a FWD bias, and others with an even split. Having not had a Subaru for several years now, I forget which tranny is matched to which system (e.g. 4AT, 5AT, 5MT, 6MT).

Aside from the AWD bias, the biggest difference between Subaru's AWD and Infiniti's AWD is that Subaru uses a proactive system while Infiniti uses a reactive system. The benefits of Infiniti's system is that it provides better gas mileage and more driving fun (rwd) than the Subaru's system would. On a day to day basis, the ground is generally dry. For that reason, the Infiniti system works well. When you deal with more snow and more wet roads, you might be willing to sacrifice the gas mileage and the driving experience for a more proactive system like Subaru's. (don't misread by saying that the Infiniti gets good mpg, my subie got much better, but if you put the subie system on the infiniti, it'd be even worse running the 4 wheels at all times.)

As for the driving experience, I don't care how fast a system can move the power around, once it starts slipping, you can feel it. The Infiniti quickly recovers and does a nice job. The difference is though, the Subaru doesn't slip to begin with. Regardless of how long it takes to shift the power around, when the car doesn't slip at all, it makes all of the difference. When it slips and power needs to be sent around, you can feel it and the traction light starts blinking and diminishes throttle, etc. That sucks... When driving in the rain though, it shouldn't happen very often on good tires. In the snow, my Infiniti with winter tires doesn't hold a candle to my last Subaru on good all-season tires when accelerating. The Subie AWD system is just so impressive. Being that AWD only helps with accelerating, stopping the Subaru with all-seasons is another story... lol
I've owned many Subies (outback, Legacy, WRX) and I agree w/ the post 100%. It doesn't matter how ultra fast the power can be transferred to the front, it doesn't beat having roughly half of it there to begin with.

I bought a G because i don't live in a super heavy snow area, so the G is sufficient for the few days a year where we do get snow, and makes up for it by having that awesome RWD driving dynamic the rest of the year

Last edited by jddssc121; 06-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM
jepva

Yea, the Infiniti AWD system is not meant to compete with Quattro or Subaru's awd. But, as anyone who actually lives in the north knows, proper winter tires are the key regardless of the AWD system.

The Infiniti system is setup for performance, it transfers most of the power to the rear which is a more ideal setup for the track and performance. It's a less involved version of the GTR's awd (attesa pro), lacking an extra LSD or two but for me it's perfect. I feel the extra control and pull from the front at times over the normal RWD sedan, and in the wet it's great fun to mash the pedal and experience the grip.

Only thing I wish for is if we actually had a button to disable the front altogether and make it RWD temporarily for some donuts.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by jepva

Only thing I wish for is if we actually had a button to disable the front altogether and make it RWD temporarily for some donuts.
Donuts would also be a lot more fun if we had a real LSD in the back
Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 AM
spect2k

I just spent something like $800 on tires. No way I'm doing donuts... lol