G37 Sedan

Filling up when gas light comes on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Fuel flowing through the pump is what cools the pump, not the fuel around it. You're at no risk of damaging the pump until you run completely dry, and even then, you're probably ok unless you keep trying to crank it over.

as far as debris and water, i don't think this is an issue in modern times. Gas additives prevent corrosion in the gas tank and most gas contains ethanol, which is highly hygroscopic. In fact, the gas line antifreeze additives you see on the shelf at the parts store for removing water from the gas are just straight denatured alcohol or methanol.

I always fill at between half an a quarter tank because if there's an emergency situation, you don't want to have to stop for gas. I got into that habit when I was a medic. Ambulances were supposed to be filled below half a tank under our policy.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Ca428
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emerilnut
I always go well past the range indicator and don't really pay attention to the E on the gauge.

I reset my instrument cluster mpg indicator every tank... so the mileage it shows me is the mileage for that tank. If the gauge is reading that I'm 22.6 mpg, then with a 20 gallon tank I'm good for 452 miles. You get the idea. So I always take my car over 400 miles on one tank and get pretty close to the calculated number, and the most gas I have ever put in the car was 18.6 gallons.

I am not convinced over anything anyone has ever said about sediment in the tank or overheating fuel pump.

I got to look down into a 120,000 mile Miata fuel tank with a lighted boroscope once. It was pristine inside there.
Yep, I understand the math, just don't like to depend on it. And really surprised the calibration of the meter/gauge is so far off.

When you fill up, do you stop at the first click (auto shut-off) of the gas pump or a few more?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
I think the gauge calibration issue is a Nissan thing. I had a Maxima prior to my G. Specs said same 20 gallon tank. Going well below 0 miles remaining lots of times and was never able to even put 18 gallons in it. High 17's was the max. The G seems to be the same. I've approached 0 remains a handful of times and always high 16 to low 17 gallons. This is completely topped off. Living in Oregon where it is illegal to pump our own gas (literally against the law and they will yell at you) I only get to experiment on road trips, but this has proven out dozens of times.
On the harmful side of things, that's just ludicrous. Put gas in whenever you'd like.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
as far as debris and water, i don't think this is an issue in modern times. Gas additives prevent corrosion in the gas tank and most gas contains ethanol, which is highly hygroscopic. In fact, the gas line antifreeze additives you see on the shelf at the parts store for removing water from the gas are just straight denatured alcohol or methanol.
You're correct; ethanol is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs water from the air, which is a bad thing.

Gas line antifreeze typically contains isopropanol, which sequesters the water.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

I've NEVER had a problem with my tank picking up crap when running it low. From the days when I had a 1979 Ford Fiesta to today, I've always run my tanks low, sometimes dry and no problem with a fuel pump in any car I've owned, never replaced one. That includes two Acuras, 192k on one, 290k on another. I've NEVER used Heet or any other gas line antifreeze either, and I've owned cars in the last 32 or so midwest winters. Don't forget, the fuel system is essentially closed or nearly so, so no moisture from air should get in.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NW_6MT
I think the gauge calibration issue is a Nissan thing. I had a Maxima prior to my G. Specs said same 20 gallon tank. Going well below 0 miles remaining lots of times and was never able to even put 18 gallons in it. High 17's was the max. The G seems to be the same. I've approached 0 remains a handful of times and always high 16 to low 17 gallons. This is completely topped off. Living in Oregon where it is illegal to pump our own gas (literally against the law and they will yell at you) I only get to experiment on road trips, but this has proven out dozens of times.
On the harmful side of things, that's just ludicrous. Put gas in whenever you'd like.
Hmmmm, interesting that it's a Nissan thing. Didn't know Oregon is a full-serve gas station state, New Jersey is like that too.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
You're correct; ethanol is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs water from the air, which is a bad thing.

Gas line antifreeze typically contains isopropanol, which sequesters the water.
Ethanol serves the same function as methanol or isopropyl. The hydroxyl group forms a polar bond with the oxygen in the water molecule. Doesn't matter what kind of alcohol it is, the chemistry here is the same. They all absorb water from the air.

Phase separation, which is the bad thing you are worried about, is not going to be an issue in a modern vehicles sealed gas tank. Assuming 80 degrees and 100% humidity, each gallon of 10% ethanol blend can hold the moisture of roughly 300 gallons of air before phase separation
Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ca428
When you fill up, do you stop at the first click (auto shut-off) of the gas pump or a few more?
I always stop at the auto shut off.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:16 PM
BigGrizzDipper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We were in my wife's '11 Murano (20 gal tank, 3.5L 6 engine) was at 0 and went another several miles before a station and needed about 18.8, so had about a gallon or so left after driving on 0 for a bit. I own a G but the murano powertrain is similar
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
5 years and still going strong, #whatathread! #shametheopisbanned
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Ca428
Registered Member

Hmmmm, must be an oddball Nissan issue with an over abundance of caution to prevent from running out of fuel. Guess I'll have to do the math, see what my average mpg is and multiply by 20, then dial that number back a bit to be safe on a true range.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
So has anyone posting in this revived thread removed and examined the pump or looked around inside of their tank? I have. Multiple times. Maybe your experience differs from mine. I live in an area that requires 10% ethanol in gasoline. What I discovered was shocking.

No corrosion.
No water/sediment/trash/foreign particles floating or settled inside the tank, even after using many non Top-Tier fuel stations. None. Just gas.
The fuel pump floats in cold gasoline and has cold gasoline flowing through it. The only way I can see that it would "burn up" or "suck up air" is if the car is run COMPLETELY empty of fuel and then the driver attempts to continue to start and run it repeatedly.
I have run out of fuel in my G37. I didn't attempt to restart the car with the tank empty. I refilled it with 1.5 gallons of fuel. It started immediately (allow the fuel pump several seconds to pump fuel to the injectors before starting - you can hear it when you turn the ignition to on) and proceeded to the next station where I filled it up. Ran fine.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Every manufacturer has fuel gauges that show empty before the tank is completely empty. Some more than others. The computer that calculates it is not completely accurate and is influenced by a number of factors so there isn't a precise amount of reserve capacity that you can rely on. My experience has been no less than 2 gallons and as much as 3 when the distance to empty reads zero. Yours may differ.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
So has anyone posting in this revived thread removed and examined the pump or looked around inside of their tank? I have. Multiple times. Maybe your experience differs from mine. I live in an area that requires 10% ethanol in gasoline. What I discovered was shocking.

No corrosion.
No water/sediment/trash/foreign particles floating or settled inside the tank, even after using many non Top-Tier fuel stations. None. Just gas.
The fuel pump floats in cold gasoline and has cold gasoline flowing through it. The only way I can see that it would "burn up" or "suck up air" is if the car is run COMPLETELY empty of fuel and then the driver attempts to continue to start and run it repeatedly.
I have run out of fuel in my G37. I didn't attempt to restart the car with the tank empty. I refilled it with 1.5 gallons of fuel. It started immediately (allow the fuel pump several seconds to pump fuel to the injectors before starting - you can hear it when you turn the ignition to on) and proceeded to the next station where I filled it up. Ran fine.
I started this thread to focus on the amount left in the tank when the warning light comes on and/or the needle is on E. Thanks for everyone's comments, good to know your car started right away after running it dry.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:36 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
5 years and still going strong, #whatathread! #shametheopisbanned
Now I'm wanting to hear the story of how the OP got banned.

Quick Reply: Filling up when gas light comes on...