G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Debadge, Re-badge, or leave it alone?
Leave it stock, not sure why anyone would debadge a G.
12.43%
Leave it stock, but I don't mind a debadged G
12.43%
Partial debadge, leaving the Mt Fuji, or red S etc.
63.84%
Full Debadge, nothing but metal & lights.
3.95%
Re-badge, Nissan Skyline for example.
1.69%
Re-badge, keeping the badges the same but painting them.
2.26%
Re-badge, removing some but painting the remaining badges.
1.69%
Love the debadge/rebadge but afraid to do it (or a lease)
0.56%
Don't really care about the badges either way
1.13%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Debadge, re-badge, or leave it stock??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Mine is fully debadged in back. Everything is gone.

I'm not ashamed of my car at all. I just happen to like the clean look. I also plan to get an emblemless grill when they make one (or have it done, if they don't make one soon).

I like the stealth look. People who don't know their cars have to ask, "what is that"?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I can see where some buyers might have a certain perception about a car missing the badges/lettering.
Most average car buyers would probably assume it's been in a wreck and the letters were not put back on...
Yes, that can be a reason to avoid a debadged car. Another reason could be that it was driven by a younger owner who drove it aggressively and may not have had the resources to follow the maintenance schedule to keep it in top shape. As discussed in the other thread, it may be the main motivation for a dealer to want the badges put back prior to resale.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I can see where some buyers might have a certain perception about a car missing the badges/lettering.
Most average car buyers would probably assume it's been in a wreck and the letters were not put back on...
that was the only time my car was debadged. after i was rear ended, i went to check on my car at the bodyshop and they haven't put the badges on yet. Looked funny, like something was missing. They asked if I wanted to leave them off and I declined.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I debadged my car today, that rubber cement is a bitch to get of. The sedan rear looks better debadged:

Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
I've seen plenty of BMW and Audi that are debadged. I particular don't like it, but whatever. IF you like it, then go for it. I'm just saying the price of the car has nothing to do with debadging or not.
Actually - I think BMW's are the most de-badged car around. People who buy a 325 or 525 want everyone else to think it is something else. I remember I had a friend who had an E39 525 at the same time I had my 540. He immediately debadged his - and got wheels from a 540.

Anyway...I don't like polishing around the emblems/badging - but it doesn't bug me enough to remove them...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:51 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debadge, Re-badge, or leave it alone?
<label for="rb_optionnumber_1"><input name="optionnumber" value="1" id="rb_optionnumber_1" type="radio">Leave it stock, not sure why anyone would debadge a G.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_2"><input name="optionnumber" value="2" id="rb_optionnumber_2" type="radio">Leave it stock, but I don't mind a debadged G</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_3"><input name="optionnumber" value="3" id="rb_optionnumber_3" type="radio">Partial debadge, leaving the Mt Fuji, or red S etc.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_4"><input name="optionnumber" value="4" id="rb_optionnumber_4" type="radio">Full Debadge, nothing but metal & lights.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_5"><input name="optionnumber" value="5" id="rb_optionnumber_5" type="radio">Re-badge, Nissan Skyline for example.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_6"><input name="optionnumber" value="6" id="rb_optionnumber_6" type="radio">Re-badge, keeping the badges the same but painting them.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_7"><input name="optionnumber" value="7" id="rb_optionnumber_7" type="radio">Re-badge, removing some but painting the remaining badges.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_8"><input name="optionnumber" value="8" id="rb_optionnumber_8" type="radio">Love the debadge/rebadge but afraid to do it (or a lease)</label>
<input name="optionnumber" value="9" id="rb_optionnumber_9" type="radio">Don't really care about the badges either way

Based on some of the choices you came up with...

You forgot

<input name="optionnumber" value="9" id="rb_optionnumber_9" type="radio"> Debadge some or all of it just to annoy Chekov
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I am not a fan of debadging but I don't mind when people do it. Just not my cup of tea.

Edit: After seeing the photo of the 2 G's totally debadged I really like at least the Mt Fuji.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
<label for="rb_optionnumber_1"><input name="optionnumber" value="1" id="rb_optionnumber_1" type="radio">Leave it stock, not sure why anyone would debadge a G.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_2"><input name="optionnumber" value="2" id="rb_optionnumber_2" type="radio">Leave it stock, but I don't mind a debadged G</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_3"><input name="optionnumber" value="3" id="rb_optionnumber_3" type="radio">Partial debadge, leaving the Mt Fuji, or red S etc.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_4"><input name="optionnumber" value="4" id="rb_optionnumber_4" type="radio">Full Debadge, nothing but metal & lights.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_5"><input name="optionnumber" value="5" id="rb_optionnumber_5" type="radio">Re-badge, Nissan Skyline for example.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_6"><input name="optionnumber" value="6" id="rb_optionnumber_6" type="radio">Re-badge, keeping the badges the same but painting them.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_7"><input name="optionnumber" value="7" id="rb_optionnumber_7" type="radio">Re-badge, removing some but painting the remaining badges.</label>
<label for="rb_optionnumber_8"><input name="optionnumber" value="8" id="rb_optionnumber_8" type="radio">Love the debadge/rebadge but afraid to do it (or a lease)</label>
<input name="optionnumber" value="9" id="rb_optionnumber_9" type="radio">Don't really care about the badges either way

Based on some of the choices you came up with...

You forgot

<input name="optionnumber" value="9" id="rb_optionnumber_9" type="radio"> Debadge some or all of it just to annoy Chekov
Damn, I knew I left something out
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Yes, that can be a reason to avoid a debadged car. Another reason could be that it was driven by a younger owner who drove it aggressively and may not have had the resources to follow the maintenance schedule to keep it in top shape. As discussed in the other thread, it may be the main motivation for a dealer to want the badges put back prior to resale.
A debadged car is a warning sign that the car might have involved in an accident and repainted. Aftermarket adhesive job is not as good as it was from the factory.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
clownshoes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
de-badged reminds me of the 1980's when I would Used-car shop. You could tell if a car was wrecked or just repainted cause they didn't bother putting the badges back on. If it had cheap after-market rims, we assumed someone cracked/bent the OEM alloy rim, and it was just less expensive to buy 4 cheap ones. Yes, I'm talking about Camaro/Firebird car hunting in the day.

BUT...its 2012...things are different, I just have old notions following me.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious

You forgot

Hey, I like that. But let’s add in illegal tinting, dismantling safety devices, test pipes and poor grammar.

Last edited by Chekov; 03-14-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chekov
hey, i like that. But let’s add in illegal tinting, dismantling safety devices, tests pipes and poor grammar.
.......:jamin:
Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Do people still wear Benetton clothing in the United States??? I haven't seen that since '92!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Funny enough I got a survey from Infiniti shortly after I purchased my car about the new "smaller G" they are planning to make to compete with the 1 series bmw. They had a full 2 pages of it regarding feelings about badges and what I liked/didn't like and what different letters made you think of. Questions were something like "if your car had a turbo would you want a T on the back", "what naming convention do you like: motor size 37, conventional accord, etc..."

Apparently there is a lot of thought that goes into these badges haha.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
And apparently they are aware that a lot of people don't care for them. Cars come with less and less badging as time goes on. Obviously Chekov's point of view comes form a different generation than most of us since he has a few years on us all. But even when I was a kid cars often had make or model badging on both front fenders. Now it's more common to only have the badge of the make on the grille and trunk and a model designation on the trunk. Things evolve. Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see a time when a new car comes completely devoid of all badges and people know it only by it's form and distinctive features.

I bet there's not a single one of us that would not recognize the distinctive form of any model of Mercedes, Ferrari, Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc even if it were totally devoid of any designation. Typically the more prestigious or the more a brand costs, the more it's recognizable. If they took the badging off of all Kias, Hyundais, Toyotas for example, how many of us car guys might have a hard time telling what was made by whom? And how many regular people who aren't into cars?

Quick Reply: Debadge, re-badge, or leave it stock??