Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor G :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 328HP
But here the 335i wins too, 0-60, there is a road and track article comparing the 335i, S4, G37 and 335i. I think the G37 came last in that one on track times. C&D does the Lightning Lap and the 335i is ahead of the Nismo 370Z even. Motortrends figure 8 should have the 335i ahead as well.

I still love my G37 and will not regret having bought it over the 328i and the N54 335i (too many reports of the HPFP on that engine).
Exactly, and since I owned both I can give a pretty fair comparison.

I had a pretty rare 2007 335 coupe in 6MT with minimal options. I had sport, 6mt and some other option. (the car came with HIDS, upgraded sound) and honestly I wouldn't want it any other way (leather for a color it was all black). That sticker was just over 42K, which is a good deal for that car.

I did have a fuel pump blow up, but Nissan has had some pretty bad problems with their engine too (many probably just don't know about it).

But when my lease on my 3-series was up it was actually cheaper for me to lease a new 09 vert with a sticker of 52K than it was to get another 3 series that was cheaper than the one I had. So I go a G.

Now I have another one because I wanted MT and for the money it was the best car I could afford at the time. But it's still 8/10 the performance of a 335...and the seats in the BMW as 100x better.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
328HP

I think you would probably be more objective than anyone else here and 42k for a 335i coupe was a pretty good deal.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
But it's still 8/10 the performance of a 335...and the seats in the BMW as 100x better.
If performance is somewhat less on the G, the seat is a lot worse, and the clutch is only slightly worse, then I'm happy with my decision to go with the G... Seems like a good tradeoff from my perspective considering the much lower price and likely better reliability.

I realize that other people may have a different perspective - for example, if they care about some aspect of performance that I don't care about because I don't race or track the car.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devil2k
...you need to conduct a scientific research that evaluates every single measurable criteria that constitute to a sports sedan objectively, compile the result and come up with a conclusion.
But here the 335i wins too, 0-60, there is a road and track article comparing the 335i, S4, G37 and 335i. I think the G37 came last in that one on track times. C&D does the Lightning Lap and the 335i is ahead of the Nismo 370Z even. Motortrends figure 8 should have the 335i ahead as well.
Now try replacing sports sedan(which is what he used and I went along with it) with Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedan(which is the category he suggested 335i competes in).

Last edited by devil2k; 03-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by visualguy
If performance is somewhat less on the G, the seat is a lot worse, and the clutch is only slightly worse, then I'm happy with my decision to go with the G... Seems like a good tradeoff from my perspective considering the much lower price and likely better reliability.

I realize that other people may have a different perspective - for example, if they care about some aspect of performance that I don't care about because I don't race or track the car.
As I said, for the price it's a way better value. I got my 6MT sedan for about 6K off sticker, that made it an easy decision for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Beer Magazine

I think you would probably be more objective than anyone else here and 42k for a 335i coupe was a pretty good deal.
That was in 2007. Lot's of people put tons of dumb options on the car and jack up the price. I judge the car on the base version (base 335 isn't really base but without additional options). People think navi or some dumb adaptive cruise is worth adding 5K to a car, for me it's not. It's a bonus if you get those and a car you like for a better value...like the G.

Hell when I got this new one, I couldn't lease a mid level GTI for the same price, so I don't mind that some people think it's dated style (the rear is the front is fine).

The G is a great car. Greater when you get a killer deal on it!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM
visualguy

As I said, for the price it's a way better value. I got my 6MT sedan for about 6K off sticker, that made it an easy decision for me.
Yeah, the 2012 G are deeply discounted from MSRP, while you'd most likely have to pay MSRP or close to it for the 2012 335i at this point... Makes it really hard to go for the BMW right now - seriously hard to swallow the price difference for what you get (and don't get)!

Maybe the picture will be somewhat different in a couple of years.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Beer Magazine

Yeah, the 2012 G are deeply discounted from MSRP, while you'd most likely have to pay MSRP or close to it for the 2012 335i at this point... Makes it really hard to go for the BMW right now - seriously hard to swallow the price difference for what you get (and don't get)!

Maybe the picture will be somewhat different in a couple of years.
I guess the price on the car has gone way up. I just spec'd a sedan with MT (they don't discount the car any for it) and it's still 47K with sport, heated seats and leatherette. ouch.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
visualguy

I guess the price on the car has gone way up. I just spec'd a sedan with MT (they don't discount the car any for it) and it's still 47K with sport, heated seats and leatherette. ouch.
Yes, even for that configuration it's basically $10K+tax more than the street price for the G37S 6MT. Like I said, extremely hard to justify...
Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
Seriously, if you don't like the G and prefer the BMW, that's perfectly fine of course, to each their own.

But to have the handle g37guy01, on an Infiniti forum, and consistently laud the Bimmer while lamenting the G is just poor form, IMO.

You like the BMW, awesome, why not frequent the BMW forums? Hanging out here, with the opinions you hold, is just asking for argument. If that's your intent... well, then... go on wit'cha bad self.
As a G owner, the G deservers every accolade and criticsm.

Sorry you feel it is poor form, I'm not defending the G blindly to comments that are off-base, IMO. Nor am I complimentling the 3 series blindly.

And to set the record straight, I do participate on BMW forums as well.

There is no getting around the BMW is the overall better sports sedan. And as I said, which car one chooses is ultimately no reflection on the cars abilities but a matter of personal preference as the the values that appeal to you in the vehicles.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
328HP

Yes, even for that configuration it's basically $10K+tax more than the street price for the G37S 6MT. Like I said, extremely hard to justify...
The residual value on the 335i should be better, there is at least $1,000 in maintenance costs on the G. The 335i is more fuel efficient, there is another $500 at least. That can salvage some of the 10K difference.

I priced out a 335i to 52k, it will have more than what the 2012 G37xS fully loaded @ $46k has. That's a 6k difference. I guess one could argue that a fair comparison is the 335xi, but I do not have pricing information on that.

0-60 in 4.7s, how many cars do that and how much are they priced at?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I just went through this process looking at a 335i before getting the G, given unlimited funds, ignoring trade in values, etc... I would have gone with the BMW for the "more fun low end torque and smoother tranny alone".

However, I got the G37S (premium, nav, sport) with included options tint, paint protection/interior protection, mats, first aid, etc... for $37,350. They also gave me $2k more on my trade than BMW was willing. BMW offered no discounts and came in at $49k for a similar vehicle (no nav or backup, but had adaptive steering/suspension). For me the difference was almost $14k and I didn't have to wait 2 months to order one.

Since some who have had both claims the G is about 8/10ths the performance, that's about $10k price if you break it out. Add in the elite warranty and maintenance plans on the infiniti and you'd still be $11k+ up on the BMW in my case with 10 years worry free warranty.

I don't drag race around my car, but the G is plenty quick, I still think it looks good and the interior is nice as well. The BMW is a great car, no denying that, but the G is nothing to be ashamed of in comparison IMO.

I'd lease a BMW, I'd be too afraid to own it after the warranty is up. The G I felt much better about purchasing.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
As a G owner, the G deservers every accolade and criticsm.

Sorry you feel it is poor form, I'm not defending the G blindly to comments that are off-base, IMO. Nor am I complimentling the 3 series blindly.

And to set the record straight, I do participate on BMW forums as well.

There is no getting around the BMW is the overall better sports sedan. And as I said, which car one chooses is ultimately no reflection on the cars abilities but a matter of personal preference as the the values that appeal to you in the vehicles.
I'm not mad at you, brother. I'm just pointing out inconsistencies. The remark in red proves you're a BMW guy, not a G37 guy.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
visualguy

I priced out a 335i to 52k, it will have more than what the 2012 G37xS fully loaded @ $46k has. That's a 6k difference. I guess one could argue that a fair comparison is the 335xi, but I do not have
I don't know where you're located, but around here (CA) new 2012 fully loaded G37XS go for about $37K. Also, when I configure a 335i to be similarly equipped, I'm in the high 50s. The difference is $20K+tax which is huge, and this is even without taking into account the AWD.

When I bought my G37S a couple of weeks ago, I compared to a 335i with pretty minimal options (sport + a couple of other things), and the difference (in street price) was $10K+tax.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by BLamb
I just went through this process looking at a 335i before getting the G, given unlimited funds, ignoring trade in values, etc... I would have gone with the BMW for the "more fun low end torque and smoother tranny alone".

However, I got the G37S (premium, nav, sport) with included options tint, paint protection/interior protection, mats, first aid, etc... for $37,350. They also gave me $2k more on my trade than BMW was willing. BMW offered no discounts and came in at $49k for a similar vehicle (no nav or backup, but had adaptive steering/suspension). For me the difference was almost $14k and I didn't have to wait 2 months to order one.

Since some who have had both claims the G is about 8/10ths the performance, that's about $10k price if you break it out. Add in the elite warranty and maintenance plans on the infiniti and you'd still be $11k+ up on the BMW in my case with 10 years worry free warranty.

I don't drag race around my car, but the G is plenty quick, I still think it looks good and the interior is nice as well. The BMW is a great car, no denying that, but the G is nothing to be ashamed of in comparison IMO.

I'd lease a BMW, I'd be too afraid to own it after the warranty is up. The G I felt much better about purchasing.

I agree, that 8/10ths the performance is still more than everybody here will ever push a street car. And realistically you're arguing my point for me. If you take ownership and cost out...the BMW is a better performing car. Bells and whistles taken out.

Quick Reply: Poor G :(