Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My Second Test Drive Today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM
hollywhip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g37guy01
There is no reliability issue with the 3er, even CR recommends them.

Maybe your infininti dealership sucks, but mine doesn't.
You must have been reading a CR issue from 2006 or 2007 because the 11 & 12 issue's have bimmer's near the bottom with the exception of the cheesy i series. But in their class the G37 & G25 #'s 1 & 2 before the 25 came out the G37 was always #1 so take that you bimmer freaks. Around where I live you can't turn a corner without seeing one what a bunch of followers. The G's are few and far between which is good for me, these people just don't know what their missing. Love my G and there are a few others I would love to own instead but they are way out of my price range
Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 AM
JMP0323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the interior accents upgrade. Aluminum was just too ugly. As I said even cr recommends the 3 series. And reliability shall we talk about the tranny issues among others. At least the BMW is very drive able.
Yes, "Drive Able". Lets not overlook the OVERHEATING
The list goes on and on for BMW. They are not known for there reliability.
Yes, your right. Some owners are unhappy with there G37 7SP trans.
But when my factory warranty expires on my G37 i wont think twice about keeping it. Now with BMW's on the other hand, you better run for the hills when that warranty is up. Unless you have loads and loads of $ to be handing out to service.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
It won't leave the G37 in the dust assuming both have decent tires and decent drivers. Sure it has an edge but not as significant as blowing the doors off a G. I ran w/ a 335 coupe on the road from I40 to Wickenburg AZ, had a blast trying to keep up w/ it and it never got too far ahead, sure it was a bit tighter at high speed turns but straight blasts the G held its' own. Even the Bimmer owner was surprized
I love wickenburg. Quaint town. Will probably be there in a few days. I hope you don't get nailed by the cops going hyper legal speeds.

I think a number of posters have BMW remorse. The g is a good car don't get me wrong, and is sexy with the right options and color combo. But the bimmer is just the better sports sedan.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by JMP0323
Yes, "Drive Able". Lets not overlook the OVERHEATING
The list goes on and on for BMW. They are not known for there reliability.
Yes, your right. Some owners are unhappy with there G37 7SP trans.
But when my factory warranty expires on my G37 i wont think twice about keeping it. Now with BMW's on the other hand, you better run for the hills when that warranty is up. Unless you have loads and loads of $ to be handing out to service.
Stupid iPad.

Do you think he owners who hate the 7 speed will keep there's? They'll probably get a bimmer. The overheating effected a small percentage and is a thing of the past. If the economy was better I would be driving a loaded 335 not a g. I don't care about the reliability ratings, they never tell you if you will have a positive ownership experience.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good thing there are so many car options and manufacturers out there. Test drive and do some research and then buy the car you like with the interior and ***** and engine that make you happy. If you get tired of it, get a different car. Its not like buying a house that you'll live in for 10+ years and having kids in the school system, mortgage under water, etc ...Its a car.......

Just the fact we are on a car message board we are in a very small percentage when it comes to cars and are enthusiasm. Most don't think like us. My in laws have a 2010 328I and when I ask them questions about it, they have no idea. Their like its nice but I don't like the cup holders.

I've had my G37 sedan since March and still get excited and look forward to driving to and from work and on days off I'll go on drives for no reason. Problem is that my next car will now need even more power and performance. I might need to get a second job.......
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM
JMP0323

I would get a 2nd job for a M56S. Now thats HAWT!

Originally Posted by trcb777
Good thing there are so many car options and manufacturers out there. Test drive and do some research and then buy the car you like with the interior and ***** and engine that make you happy. If you get tired of it, get a different car. Its not like buying a house that you'll live in for 10+ years and having kids in the school system, mortgage under water, etc ...Its a car.......

Just the fact we are on a car message board we are in a very small percentage when it comes to cars and are enthusiasm. Most don't think like us. My in laws have a 2010 328I and when I ask them questions about it, they have no idea. Their like its nice but I don't like the cup holders.

I've had my G37 sedan since March and still get excited and look forward to driving to and from work and on days off I'll go on drives for no reason. Problem is that my next car will now need even more power and performance. I might need to get a second job.......

Last edited by JMP0323; 02-05-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JMP0323
I would get a 2nd job for a M56S. Now thats HAWT!
Yep. The S4 has my attention, and my brother just test drove a 2010 m3 and said it was sick.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
hollywhip

Stupid iPad.

Do you think he owners who hate the 7 speed will keep there's? They'll probably get a bimmer. The overheating effected a small percentage and is a thing of the past. If the economy was better I would be driving a loaded 335 not a g. I don't care about the reliability ratings, they never tell you if you will have a positive ownership experience.
Wow why don't you change your Moniker to BMW_Guy and take your G back or sell it to somebody that will appreciate it and knows quality when they see it or drive it. There are plenty of bimmer forums you can participate in and listen to all the whining about the lettuce they spend trying to keep the BUMMERS on the road.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
All I have to say, is that you have to be a ROYAL car snob if you think this is a cheap and chintsy interior...

THIS is a cheap and chintsy interior
That red leather is very ugly...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM
kanariya

Originally Posted by hollywhip
Wow why don't you change your Moniker to BMW_Guy and take your G back or sell it to somebody that will appreciate it and knows quality when they see it or drive it. There are plenty of bimmer forums you can participate in and listen to all the whining about the lettuce they spend trying to keep the BUMMERS on the road.
If you can't take someone else's opinion you should not participate on an internet forum.

Back to the topic please.

There are only so many manufacturers you can pick from.
Test drive the TL SH-AWD. You might like it.

The G's design is dated. I would not buy the G now. A redesign is coming in 2013 supposely.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM
g37guy01

Originally Posted by kanariya
If you can't take someone else's opinion you should not participate on an internet forum.

Back to the topic please.

There are only so many manufacturers you can pick from.
Test drive the TL SH-AWD. You might like it.

The G's design is dated. I would not buy the G now. A redesign is coming in 2013 supposely.
+1 can't wait for the redesign.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM
hollywhip

Back to the topic please. I don't believe your a Moderator on this Forum so don't tell me what to participate in get in your Bummer and hope it stays in your driveway longer than the Bummer service department
Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 AM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

I personally was picking between BMW 328i with Sports Package, G37Sport, STi and Mitsubishi Evo. All in manual.

STi fell off the list early because it was hard to come by and it was not different enough from my 03 WRX to not feel like I'm driving same car for another 8 years. Evo was awesome, but it lacked 6th gear on the highway, combined with small fuel tank and even smaller trunk.

BMW was really nice. I always was of negative opinion of BMW in part of perceived snob factor. Like you are paying more for the name than for the car. The interior in 328i is nothing to write home about. It's really simple. Probably the most shocking to me - the dashboard gauges look like they have not changed since 1980s! It's literally, a black rectangle with tech on one side and speedometer on another - everything done with flat white lettering and markings on black plastic. In fact, the whole dashboard looks like it belongs to an 80s car. However, after spending more time inside, you realize how everything fits together nicely and simplicity is the theme here. I test drove a brand new fully loaded 328i M Package - and there was significant rattle in the back of the cabin. I'm thinking, that doesn't feel like a $50k car. However, the manual transmission is the best I've ever driven, period. Smooth as butter, I was able to immediately adjust to the clutch, so much so my fiance commented how smoothly the car rides. The steering is nice. Everything is within easy reach and even though the engine was the least powerful out of all cars in my comparison, when pushed, it made a very nice sound and the car was accelerating quickly enough for me. I didn't not test drive 335i because it's in a another price range bracket, and it's not even offered in manual.

Now the G was the last car I test drove and it was very interesting experience. Off the bat, I loved the interior - to me, it was leaps and bounds more luxurious than 328i. The engine was peppy. I prepared not to like the shifter after hearing bad feedback on G35. However on G37 shifter was fairly smooth, I liked the feel of the clutch and shift travel. It was not as smooth as BMW, so I had to adjust to start driving it smoothly. I liked a bigger cabin, and that for the same price as mid range Beemer I get a Navi and Sport suspension/steering. I liked that Infiniti doesn't force run flat tires on you. And finally, seeing as my dad still drives his 1997 I30, I hoped new G would follow and improve on the the same trend. The only nagging thing is that G with manual forces you to have the stupid sunroof. Super low headroom, just like in 328i. But with Beemer, you can build sport package without the sunroof. My only hope is that I can lower the seat in my G via the famous mod. I do that, and I'm a happy camper.

p.s. I test drove an Audi A4 manual quadro. Now, I'm wary of Audi unreliability reputation, but wanted to see all options. The interior is nice, I would not say it's nicer than G, but definitely nicer than BMW. However I just didn't care for the manual transmission in this car, the clutch felt like it not connected to anything. I could not feel the engagement point, which resulted in the jerky movement of the car, no matter what I did. Audi was the only car I didn't not want to test drive again.

Last edited by avsBuddy; 11-17-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
kanariya

Originally Posted by hollywhip

Back to the topic please. I don't believe your a Moderator on this Forum so don't tell me what to participate in get in your Bummer and hope it stays in your driveway longer than the Bummer service department
You arent a Moderator either so you don't tell people to get out of the forum and post else where.

FYI I own a G not a bimmer or bummer. Sorry if you have reading disability.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
I think the interior is better some Of the other japanese cars out there as for the heated seat ***** those are better than the ones on the previous models where it was just a button and as for the sport seats try out the non S and see how that feels. I personally love the seats and I'm a big guy so they hold me in really good.

Quick Reply: Took My Second Test Drive Today...