Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view camera fit in OEM spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Lucifuhrman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view camera fit in OEM spoiler?

Have 2011 G37 Journey with Prem & Navi packages. Decided to ditch the stock chrome strip on the trunk that houses the rear view camera and trunk release button, and install the OEM spoiler. Looks great, but with the new spoiler it seems that the rear view camera sits in the cut out in the spoiler with maybe a 1/8" gap all the way around, whereas in the original chrome piece the camera sat in a rubber cup that filled in the gap, making for a clean, flush look. Does everyone else who has the OEM spoiler and rear view camera also have this same gap? Though not a perfect fix I took the rubber cup out of the chrome piece, did some cutting, and pieced it around the camera to fill in the gap - looks OK, but I would have expected better from the OEM package.

Also, the camera now points down a bit more than it used to, so now I see a bit of the bumper in the camera while backing up - anyone know whether the camera can be adjusted via software to pan up a bit?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ours looks to have a small 1/8 to 1/16 gap around the camera housing and has not posed any problems as of yet. Never really noticed it until your mention of it. It does bring to question why the chrome strip included a rubber seal and the lip doesn't?

Angle of the camera did not change at all from pre to post lip install.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Beau'sG37x

I am having the Infiniti dealer put a rear spoiler on my G37x Sedan on 10/18/11. My car was late being delivered and I asked for some love from the dealer and when I asked for a rear spoiler they agreed. I can't wait to see it tomorrow. I will definitely check out the gap around the camera if there is one. I will make them fix it if there is one! I will report back tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Lucifuhrman

Originally Posted by Beau'sG37x
I am having the Infiniti dealer put a rear spoiler on my G37x Sedan on 10/18/11. My car was late being delivered and I asked for some love from the dealer and when I asked for a rear spoiler they agreed. I can't wait to see it tomorrow. I will definitely check out the gap around the camera if there is one. I will make them fix it if there is one! I will report back tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies - glad I'm not alone.

On the dealer install, if it has a gap it doesn't mean they did it wrong - perhaps the factory spoiler kit just has the camera hanging out there with the gap. Strikes me as a bit odd, as you'd get water in there if you hit it with a hose while washing it, but maybe that's OK. Interested to know what the dealer has to say about the gap if there is one.

BTW, IMO the spoiler makes the car look much better and avoids constant finger prints on the chrome piece.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
1stCAV

Ordered my '09 G37 with spoiler. No gap around the camera; perfectly sealed.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Beau'sG37x

Originally Posted by Lucifuhrman

On the dealer install, if it has a gap it doesn't mean they did it wrong - perhaps the factory spoiler kit just has the camera hanging out there with the gap. Strikes me as a bit odd, as you'd get water in there if you hit it with a hose while washing it, but maybe that's OK. Interested to know what the dealer has to say about the gap if there is one.

BTW, IMO the spoiler makes the car look much better and avoids constant finger prints on the chrome piece.
Thanks for the info! I am glad to hear you think the spoiler will look good. I think the sedan already has an aerodynamic design that will only be enhanced by a rear spoiler. I am going to pick it from the Dealer today around 5:00pm PACIFIC Time.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Beau'sG37x

Cool Rear view camera fit on OEM spoiler?

Thanks for the info! I am glad to hear you think the spoiler will look good. I think the sedan already has an aerodynamic design that will only be enhanced by a rear spoiler. I am going to pick it from the Dealer today around 5:00pm PACIFIC Time.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Lucifuhrman

Originally Posted by 1stCAV
Ordered my '09 G37 with spoiler. No gap around the camera; perfectly sealed.
Interesting. Can you tell what material was used to close the gap? Look like foam backing, rubber, other?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Lucifuhrman

Originally Posted by Beau'sG37x
THink the spoiler makes the car look much sportier, and it was sporty looking to begin with. Both the wife and I are very pleased with the aesthetics upgrade with the spoiler. Not to mention you won't have to worry about every finger print and water spot standing out like a sore thumb on the chrome.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
1stCAV

Interesting. Can you tell what material was used to close the gap? Look like foam backing, rubber, other?
Rubber.....
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Beau'sG37x

Just picked up my G37x with the added rear spoiler. It looks great! I checked the camera and it has that "rubber cup" around it. I saw no gaps. I also talked to the tech at the shop and he told me the spoiler kit should have come with a rubber cup so there wouldn't be a gap. I also checked my camera and it is at the same angle as before - no change. I do see the G looking more sportier too.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

2011 G37x, Slate Blue, Graphite, Prem, Nav
Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 PM
a17z
Registered Member

Any one have close up pics? I just got my spoiler installed and noticed the gap around the ikey button and camera.