G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

expensive mistake -- looking for the electricians (basic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
expensive mistake -- looking for the electricians (basic)

quite the ****ty day. probably one of the most expensive mistakes i've made -- doing headlights. one of the damn wiring harnesses slouched on the pan, in the oven. it caught fire and disfigured some of the plastic on the rear, driver side headlight. it melted, completely, the connecting adapter that plugs into a wire that plugs again into the ballast (powers it). i've looked everywhere for the part -- it's either all or nothing, as in a new headlight unit (2000 from infiniti or 400 used). does anyone know how to remake/buy connectors? it's not the receiving end, rather the opposite that plugs in (with the prongs). i've managed to heat shrink the wires individually after cutting the burn pre-heat shrink off. i'm considering electric tape + receiving end. the connectors are supposed to be for corrosion huh? or weather proofing? does anyone know? Igor at 180 custom is my last shot -- he said he could replace the wiring harness, but who knows if he'll respond to my "can i pay for you to send it to me" email. on the contrary, i continued with the clearing/blacking out. it's turning out rather nice ...

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 AM
UN1263

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electrical tape is a ghetto way of connecting/sealing anything and never recommended for many reasons.

Have you tried using the online used auto parts sites that are connected to 1000's of junk yards? Yesterday I found 75 4.6 Mustang motors for one of my employees in less than 3 minutes.

If you happen to have a low comprehensive deductible, your insurance will probably cover this.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
quite the ****ty day. probably one of the most expensive mistakes i've made -- doing headlights. one of the damn wiring harnesses slouched on the pan, in the oven. it caught fire and disfigured some of the plastic on the rear, driver side headlight. it melted, completely, the connecting adapter that plugs into a wire that plugs again into the ballast (powers it). i've looked everywhere for the part -- it's either all or nothing, as in a new headlight unit (2000 from infiniti or 400 used). does anyone know how to remake/buy connectors? it's not the receiving end, rather the opposite that plugs in (with the prongs). i've managed to heat shrink the wires individually after cutting the burn pre-heat shrink off. i'm considering electric tape + receiving end. the connectors are supposed to be for corrosion huh? or weather proofing? does anyone know? Igor at 180 custom is my last shot -- he said he could replace the wiring harness, but who knows if he'll respond to my "can i pay for you to send it to me" email. on the contrary, i continued with the clearing/blacking out. it's turning out rather nice ...

Can you get a pic of one that is intact? Im not 100% sure what you need, but if I have a pic I might be able to give some advice.

I think the waterproof connectors you are talking about are called WeatherTite or something like that.....they have like a 1/2" wide gasket with several ridges on it? Pretty sure you can source those on the net, if you can find the exact shape/pin count you need.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
vaio23
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I recently bought a headlight to play around with and took it all apart. I have all the hardware and harnesses for it. Let me know I might be able to help you out.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 AM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can always hardwire every single connections or just use quick connect clips for all + and - wires, this is what i would do. Try using different color wire for future reference as well. Having a picture online could help us out too see how bad it is
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by vaio23
I recently bought a headlight to play around with and took it all apart. I have all the hardware and harnesses for it. Let me know I might be able to help you out.
oh my GAWD! lol PMing PMing PMing!!! lol
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Can you get a pic of one that is intact? Im not 100% sure what you need, but if I have a pic I might be able to give some advice.

I think the waterproof connectors you are talking about are called WeatherTite or something like that.....they have like a 1/2" wide gasket with several ridges on it? Pretty sure you can source those on the net, if you can find the exact shape/pin count you need.
Will do: thanks for your help! Very very appreciative!

Damage:

What it looked like prior:

Receiving end on wiring harness currently attached to the car:

What a nightmare...

Thanks for the help and suggestions, gentlemen!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
eksigned

So far, here's what I've done -- I've cut off all the heat shrink material off the burnt wire harness. The wire was amazingly still in tact without any sort of deformation or discoloration (minus the end prongs - can i still keep these ones on for use?). I went to radioshack and re-heat shrank the wires individually -- there were 2 total, and placed another piece over the two of them to keep them together. Now...I'm just hunting for the end adapter. I promise you -- I've looked everywhere.

I don't exactly know what to search for though -- I've just been googling wiring harnesses and wiring adapters/connectors. Nothing contacted Infiniti parts and they can't get the harness by itself -- it's either the entire unit or nothing...bah!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:22 PM
bocaytomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have begun on the right page, honestly I doubt you will find the exact connection. At this point I would cut the connector from the car side and replace it with Female Quick Connect and crimp on male ones from the headlight side.

This is what they look like:

Let me know if you need any more help
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i would replace that whole headlight, it looks like u melted more than just that piece. And trust me, my electrical mistake in my old civic was worse, I shorted out the the entire front interior to my car except the headunit i was installing. imagine driving a car that has no lighting for any of the gauges or any other interior light working. i ended having to replace the entire cluster and a bunch more.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like you have AFS? If it's just 2 wires going into 2 wires, you can most likely make your own connectors from Radio Shack.

PS. Wire harness should always be removed before putting the light in the oven.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I have all the pcs you need.
They are afs lights blk housing.
Exterior lenses are damaged but lights are fully functional.
Pm if i can help you out.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by bocaytomas
You have begun on the right page, honestly I doubt you will find the exact connection. At this point I would cut the connector from the car side and replace it with Female Quick Connect and crimp on male ones from the headlight side.

This is what they look like:

Let me know if you need any more help
excellent. thanks for uploading the images tomas! i'm considering a simple crimp. as i mentioned, i'm NOT savvy with this sort of material. the female and male connectors -- i have to get the original prongs OFF, correct? as well as the adapter from the receiving end as well? Then push in the individual wires accordingly yes? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
i would replace that whole headlight, it looks like u melted more than just that piece. And trust me, my electrical mistake in my old civic was worse, I shorted out the the entire front interior to my car except the headunit i was installing. imagine driving a car that has no lighting for any of the gauges or any other interior light working. i ended having to replace the entire cluster and a bunch more.
really? the only damage in all honesty (the picture makes it look worse) is that wire. the little piece that opens for the turn signal was disfigured, but the unit seems to be in working order. i'm considering testing the wire, just for my own sake -- to make sure it doesn't throw any voltage spikes. thoughts on where to even begin to look for this sort of testing? lol ...sigh
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I remember between the coupe and sedan there are some differences in the wiring harness.

What did you used to protect the housing while it's being baked? That looks pretty darn bad! Was the electronic ballast baked also?

Quick Reply: expensive mistake -- looking for the electricians (basic)