G37 Sedan

My one year review on the 2010 G37

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My one year review on the 2010 G37

I've had my 2010 non-sport journey sedan for 14 months and have put a little over 14,000 miles on it. To date I have had nothing go wrong with it.
I really like the power,handling, brakes, gas mileage,all around outward visibility and looks of the G. When I first got the car I really didn't think the car looked as sharp as the BMW or Audi, but went with the G over those cars for the reliability factor, since I take long trips and didn't want to worry about breaking down on the road. The longer I own it the more I like the looks.
I went with the non-sport for max comfort on the road and have not regretted it.
Yesterday we drove 300 miles on 2 lane roads averaging 72 mph and got 31.2 mpg. That is with a fully loaded car for a 19 day trip. The other 2200 miles we have gone so far, on this trip, was mainly 4 lanes and we got 27.8 mpg averaging 82 mph.
I read all the posts on the bad gas mileage and quirky 7speed auto. I'm getting great gas mileage and have experienced no problems with the 7 speed.
I had a clear bra put on the first week, so i have no chips on the front. The rest of the paint still looks like new with no scratches,swirls,etc. So I have no complaints with the paint.
Now to the nit picking part:
The auto air has to be the worst on the market. It has to be constantly adjusted so it doesn't freeze you out.
The remote fob is way too sensitive. Two days ago when we came out to the motel parking lot all the windows were rolled down. Yesterday morning the trunk had popped open.
The back up monitor doesn't have very good clarity.
My portable Garmin GPS is better and more user friendly then the G's.
The non-sport seats could be a bit more supportive. The cheap manual lumber control looks like something that came off a Yugo.
I hate that my head is always against the head rest when I'm driving, but I've driven other brand cars where the headrest's were a lot worse.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Do you drive on stop and go traffic a lot? or congested city driving? if you mostly drive on highways or long distances, naturally you will get good gas mileage and won't experience the jerkiness of the 7AT. but I agree with you that the AC is arctic cold, which I won't complain about because the AC on my last Audi took forever to get remotely cool. The non sport seats could be better, but again, I came from an Audi with sport seats that hug you like a bear. I haven't had any issue with the sensitivity of the keyfob.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
SiguRos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice mpg. I would agree with most of your assessment. However I've owned mine for 1 month and I already see chips in the paint. Also, 7speed can't make up it's mind sometimes and doesn't coast well. I think once I get used to it's shenanigans I'll be OK with it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
mikejg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with the lumbar support point.

My honda accord had power lumbar support.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
carz

im incredibly shocked by your MPG. the only way I can reach 31 is by travelling at a steady 55-60.....you must have been going downhill most of the way to reach that at 78. Never the less the mileage is rather impressive. Its when you get stuck into a city road that kills it.

our headrests dont offer any fore-aft adjustment, and i dont like that. The seats suck, too wide, zero support at all. you should have gotten the sports seats
Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I got 29.6mpg going steady at 75mph on a 120 mile trip.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

I too have the non sport G37 sedan and wish I'd gone with the sport. The extra support, paddle shift which lets you counteract the finnicky 7AT and the handling are IMO worth it.

My commute is all city traffic so I get terrible mpg but its the price we pay. Also I wish the paint was better.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM
SCWells72

Totally agreed on the AC system. I asked it about it on my first scheduled maintenance and was told it was operating normally, but I've had automatic climate control in every car I've owned over the past decade, and this is the only one I've had that I had to babysit so heavily. I generally like the cabin to be ~72-74F depending on the time of year, and I have to adjust the AC above 80F or it'll pretty much blast me with freezing air! Obviously there's a workaround, but it seems ridiculous that you'd have to resort to one...
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree the about the fob being really touchy. my friend thought the car was possessed after all the windows rolled down when he walked by it only because i accidently sat on the fob.

i like the auto ac and i agree it gets very cold but i like to be cold in the hot summer. also i have a handfuleof nicks and scrapes in the paint but i think it is normal for the amount of time ive had the car so no complaints there. i have 1 complaint about the responsiveness of the 7at while in D but no complaints while its in DS. i drive in DS around the city and it is extremely responsive. ill have to move it up a gear once in awhile driving aroudn the city since it holds out the rpms at times but other than thats its perfect for me. i just set it back to ds after i upshift.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikejg
I have to agree with the lumbar support point.

My honda accord had power lumbar support.
My '93 F150 pickup has power lumbar support. I was shocked when I found out it was manual on my '11 G37, but I've gotten over it.

I've been getting about 27.5 on 30 mile interstate runs at 75 this week. But only 5500 miles, so it's probably not completely broken in yet.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 09 G37 has power lumber support; honestly, it's useless since I set it once I bought the car and never changed it since.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
G hits the spot

I agree,haven't touched mine as well.The side bolsters are set to max snug,and the thigh are max width.Set them once,and forget it.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
zoner

I like Movinon choose the G over the 3 series and I am glad I did.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 AM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by movinon
I've had my 2010 non-sport journey sedan for 14 months and have put a little over 14,000 miles on it. To date I have had nothing go wrong with it.
I really like the power,handling, brakes, gas mileage,all around outward visibility and looks of the G. When I first got the car I really didn't think the car looked as sharp as the BMW or Audi, but went with the G over those cars for the reliability factor, since I take long trips and didn't want to worry about breaking down on the road. The longer I own it the more I like the looks.
I went with the non-sport for max comfort on the road and have not regretted it.
Yesterday we drove 300 miles on 2 lane roads averaging 72 mph and got 31.2 mpg. That is with a fully loaded car for a 19 day trip. The other 2200 miles we have gone so far, on this trip, was mainly 4 lanes and we got 27.8 mpg averaging 82 mph.
I read all the posts on the bad gas mileage and quirky 7speed auto. I'm getting great gas mileage and have experienced no problems with the 7 speed.
I had a clear bra put on the first week, so i have no chips on the front. The rest of the paint still looks like new with no scratches,swirls,etc. So I have no complaints with the paint.
Now to the nit picking part:
The auto air has to be the worst on the market. It has to be constantly adjusted so it doesn't freeze you out.
The remote fob is way too sensitive. Two days ago when we came out to the motel parking lot all the windows were rolled down. Yesterday morning the trunk had popped open.
The back up monitor doesn't have very good clarity.
My portable Garmin GPS is better and more user friendly then the G's.
The non-sport seats could be a bit more supportive. The cheap manual lumber control looks like something that came off a Yugo.
I hate that my head is always against the head rest when I'm driving, but I've driven other brand cars where the headrest's were a lot worse.
I've had my g37 for about a year now and I must say I love my car. The A/C is cold and cools the car quickly. For those of you complaining about the auto air, try pointing the A/C vents towards the headliner. This helped alot for me. I find my factory remote to be too in-sensitive(If thats a word). I like the screen resolution for our Back-up cameras. My back-up monitor has basically spoiled me. Now when I drive cars without one I feel like a drivers ed student learning to back up. Our GPS system may not be as user-friendly as a portable unit but Its a hell of alot more user friendly than some of the other OEM Nav systems. I rented an Escalade and the Nav systems in those SUV's are straight GARBAGE. Screen resolution sucks and trying to find an address is a major P.I.T.A. I have the non-sport model because of the softer suspension and I'm not a fan of the sport seats. My next mod will be the Paddle shifters though. I absolutely hate the manual lumbar adjust even though I probably will never use it anyway. But my biggest gripe with this car is the soft paint. Everytime I wash my car I find another nick or scratch.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
im incredibly shocked by your MPG. the only way I can reach 31 is by travelling at a steady 55-60.....you must have been going downhill most of the way to reach that at 78. Never the less the mileage is rather impressive. Its when you get stuck into a city road that kills it.

our headrests dont offer any fore-aft adjustment, and i dont like that. The seats suck, too wide, zero support at all. you should have gotten the sports seats
I was averaging 72 not 78 mph. That was when we went from KS to Lake of the Ozarks, in MO and the 2 lane speed limit was 65 mph. When I'm on the Interstate averaging 82 it gets about 3 to 4 mph less.
I didn't buy the G for the gas mileage, but it's nice to be getting the mileage it gets.
Most owner's are not bothered by the forward canted headrests, like I am. On a portion of this trip I turned the headrest around. I'm thinking of trying to bend the posts just enough so my head, during normal driving position has about an inch clearance.

Quick Reply: My one year review on the 2010 G37