Decided to Tint My G

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Jasperrr08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X-Mars
i spend 185 for all around.
50% front 25% back 5%rear

did it the secand day i get my car.looks way too much better.

Where did you get your car tinted? Im looking about 25% all around.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i paid $400 for ceramic all around
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
i paid $400 for ceramic all around
Does that include the front windshield?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
HappyG

I originally wanted the 3M Ceramic...but since the price difference is not much, I can't resist to go for Crystalline. According to 3M's spec, Crystalline film rejects 60% solar energy, 97% infrared, and 99.9% UV. Very impressive performance.

The installer also recommended me to tint the windshield which will act as the ultimate summer heat shield. But then, once tinted, where do I stick the registration and inspection stickers? I decided not to go for the windshield tint this time.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM
zoop425

when I was shopping around it was 70% on the back of the car (rear windows and rear windshield) and nothing on front two and front windshield in NY. I got 20% on all side windows, 15% on rear windshield, and 50% on front windshield.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by zoop425
when I was shopping around it was 70% on the back of the car (rear windows and rear windshield) and nothing on front two and front windshield in NY. I got 20% on all side windows, 15% on rear windshield, and 50% on front windshield.
Have you ever stopped by cops with your new tint?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Marty Mcfly

NY State window tint laws

<table border="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="200">Windshield</td><td width="400"> Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield. </td></tr><tr class="AltTableRow" valign="top"><td>Front Side Windows</td><td>Must allow more than 70% of light in.</td></tr><tr><td>Back Side Windows</td><td>Must allow more than 70% of light in.</td></tr><tr class="AltTableRow" valign="top"><td>Rear Window</td><td>Any darkness can be used.</td></tr></tbody></table>
Sticker Requirements: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.

Keep under the radar dude....
Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 AM
NYCMaxima

Paid 100 bucks for 35% all around except the windshield. The shop did a very good job and for some reason, my tints look much darker during the day then at night. Very wierd, I might take it back to him and have him put another layer of tint on bc 35 is too light for me.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
zoop425

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
Have you ever stopped by cops with your new tint?
Twice but they never mentioned the front windshield and I never got a ticket
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly
<table border="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="200">Windshield</td><td width="400"> Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield. </td></tr><tr class="AltTableRow" valign="top"><td>Front Side Windows</td><td>Must allow more than 70% of light in.</td></tr><tr><td>Back Side Windows</td><td>Must allow more than 70% of light in.</td></tr><tr class="AltTableRow" valign="top"><td>Rear Window</td><td>Any darkness can be used.</td></tr></tbody></table>
Sticker Requirements: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.

Keep under the radar dude....
Those are designed to maximize revenue rather than safety.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM
HappyG

Originally Posted by NYCMaxima
Paid 100 bucks for 35% all around except the windshield. The shop did a very good job and for some reason, my tints look much darker during the day then at night. Very wierd, I might take it back to him and have him put another layer of tint on bc 35 is too light for me.
It might have to do with the material. Are you going for 25% then?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Marty Mcfly

Those are designed to maximize revenue rather than safety.
No arguments here. It's why I left NY... Too many rules...regulations...taxes
all there for one thing. To take your hard earned cash. I lived in Suffolk County, cops were real PITAs about that stuff. I got a ticket for a catback
being too loud once. God forbid you have some fun.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly
No arguments here. It's why I left NY... Too many rules...regulations...taxes
all there for one thing. To take your hard earned cash. I lived in Suffolk County, cops were real PITAs about that stuff. I got a ticket for a catback
being too loud once. God forbid you have some fun.
I'm kind of tired of NY too. Just paid over $400 parking tickets which I have no knowledge of its existence until I got a collection notice. It warned about towing my cars. I looked up the 3 tickets online and they were over a year old, the oldest one was 2.5 years ago. I know for sure those tickets were made up and that the officers purposely did not put them on my cars after they wrote it. Knowing the tickets were over a year old and that I won't get too much reduction, I decided not to waste my valuable time...just paid it immediately. My friend had a similar experience. But he found out after one of his car was towed. He had to pay over $700 (towing fee plus parking tickets) to get his car back.

Heck, since they are giving out tickets for no reasons anyway, I might as well tint my car to the way I like it.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
NYCMaxima

It might have to do with the material. Are you going for 25% then?
Im prob gonna have him add another layer of either 35% or 50% over the existing layer.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
HappyG

Finally Got It Done

I originally scheduled an appointment to tint on August 4. Guess what? The installer did not have the 3M Crystalline 40 in stock. I called several days earlier and he said he'll make sure to have it ready by my August 4 appointment. It was a wasted of my time and the owner knew I wasn't too happy about it. So he offered to give me a free hand car wash on my next appointment. August is a busy month for me, so I had to delayed it for 3 weeks until today August 29.

I arrived on time this morning. It took them 2.5 hours to finish everything including a hand wash and wax. As the guy ring me up, he charged me $25 for the car wash. I told him that Steve (the owner) agreed to provide the car wash free of charge to make up for my lost time on my last appointment. He called Steve on the phone and Steve forgot all about his offer. I wasn't happy about the situation, but at the end I felt it wasn't productive and worth my time to argue there, so I paid. In return, I will write my review on Yelp to let the world know about my experience there.

Right before I leave the shop, I inspected the work. I found a scratch about 1.5 inch long on the driver side front window. I insisted that it was defect and they agreed. They ripped it out so that they could redo it. As it turned out, the scratch was on the window glass itself and not a film defect. They redo the window free of charge.

In any case, I paid a total of $350 for 40% 3M Crystalline all around (except the front windshield) tint and a hand wash.

FYI, 40% is the darkest 3M Crystalline tint level.

Here are some photos after the tint:

Quick Reply: Decided to Tint My G