G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hail damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like the damage isn't too bad if you have to move your head around at certain angles to see some of the damage. I would bet that you could get all of this fixed with paintless dent repair (PDR) as others have mentioned. A reputable place can do wonders and you will be amazed at what can be fixed without panels being replaced and new paint. If you can go with PDR, do it.

I had an old Spec V Sentra that was a 3rd car and it got caught in a freak July hail storm a few years ago. Watched it get hammered from the front door. I found a guy that fixed it up and you could never tell. I sold it a year later and the dealer could not even tell.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
That sucks dude!!! You think you can post up a pix?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ yeah, some pictures would be nice to see. my brother had his car rained on by hail in Arizona (of all places). they left golf ball size dings all over his car + shattered his passenger side mirror. last i heard, insurance took care of it. unfortunately, no details.

don't sweat it man, she'll be good as new in no time!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
goinggoneG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hail damage

I bought my G37 sedan last week and that night while I was headed home it started to hail. Fortunately, I got inside the garage just before the hail go big enough to do damage. I'm sorry to hear that yours got damaged.

As a kid, I worked in auto body and we spent the summer doing hail damage repair. In the case of hoods or rear deck lids, we usually replaced them if there were significant amounts of dents. The roof is another matter. The problem is getting these large flat (mostyl flat) surfaces repaired so that you don't notice anything was done. There are new methods now that use vacuum suction to repair the body panels. We used a heat method and for really small dings a few days of 100 degree weather can pop out the dings. You usually get dings on the top of fenders, window posts, and even the side of the car if the wind was blowing.
Good luck.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Mockenrue

I just went through the same thing last month. There were less dents for me, but they are more noticeable because the hail stones were so big. If you had a storm, chances are they have special sites in your area for people to take in the cars for inspection. They can use special lights to find all of the dents. I'm sure that the work will exceed your deductible.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
JJsBusaRox

Dang! Sorry to hear bro. I know how you feel. My new G got a dent in it after having it for only 5 days!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 PM
htwnlovaboy

ouch!! that sucks man. hopefully insurance will fix u up
Old 04-22-2011, 12:11 PM
mswistak14

So happy to hear of this in ATLANTA!!! I am moving there for work towards the end of the year.

I better get a garage for Eva!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
liscmad

My car has had PDR done twice after hail storms and you can't tell it ever had any hail damage. PDR is the way to go.

Sorry to hear but my wife's truck received the same damage after buying it the week before. Had PDR done on it also and you also can't tell it ever happened.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
equetefue

I just got freakin hailed about 30 mins ago. I'm at work so I went outside and car looks fine but then again is full of water droplets so can't tell for sure. It was about 1" hail.

You guys think I'm screwed. Car is a month old.

I'm so freakin pissed right now.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:46 AM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by equetefue
I just got freakin hailed about 30 mins ago. I'm at work so I went outside and car looks fine but then again is full of water droplets so can't tell for sure. It was about 1" hail.

You guys think I'm screwed. Car is a month old.

I'm so freakin pissed right now.
If you had 1" hail, your car probably has a few dings... However, PDR really works great for small amounts of damage. I got stuck in some marble sized hail last fall, two weeks after picking up my car....but no damage. 1' is more like quarter sized. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:14 AM
equetefue

Son of a b!tch. The car has small dents all over n is only 5 weeks old. So freaking upset right now that I just don't want the car anymore.

Call Allstate and have appt Monday at 8am for the appraiser to determine what's next. Based on the damage it will be PDR but couple areas are in corners where the roof meet the windows. Also the chrome trims are shot.

No wmy question. Obviously the car will be repaired but will the car have marks or scratches on spots where hail hit but not hard enough to dent?

After I fix it how much you think I can get for the car trade in?

Ed
Old 05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by equetefue
Son of a b!tch. The car has small dents all over n is only 5 weeks old. So freaking upset right now that I just don't want the car anymore.

Call Allstate and have appt Monday at 8am for the appraiser to determine what's next. Based on the damage it will be PDR but couple areas are in corners where the roof meet the windows. Also the chrome trims are shot.

No wmy question. Obviously the car will be repaired but will the car have marks or scratches on spots where hail hit but not hard enough to dent?

After I fix it how much you think I can get for the car trade in?

Ed
Hail typically does not cause scratches....see what the insurance company says and then take it to a reputable shop for a second opinion. I know how you feel.....but there is nothing you can do a this point except try to get it fixed. Sorry for your troubles..... Regarding trade in...probably little affect on value if it can be properly repaired with PDR, if not, then some diminished value can be expected, especially if you trade the car in within the first three or four years of ownership.

My PDR guy works out of his garage...last year he purchased a heavily hail damaged late model Dodge Magnum for next to nothing and then spent several months of evenings working out about 700 dents...I can't tell a thing now. Stated another way, a good PDR person can work miracles.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM
equetefue

Update

So Allstate cut me a check for $2k and is expecting to cut another one once all repairs are done. They are estimating up to $3500 in repair costs.

So far they said that they will replace the hood and chrome pieces around passenger door. Also they will replace black glossy trim in the pillar between passenger front and rear windows. Replace molding around sunroof as it got dinged a little. They also sais that because the Windshield has two pencil tip nicks, that they will replace the windshield. Then they will remove overheard lining to access and repair roof. They will remove the trunk lid lining to repair hood.

Question though. Does this seems accurate. Car does not look like it has $3-4k worth of damage. Also can I expect problems down the road as there is so much removal and replacing work taking place?

The said the hood is OEM but does not come painted. Will this become another issue?

Someone please shime in as I'm super bummed as the car is only 6 weeks old. Unfortunatly I have no pics because is really hard to see the damage unless you move your head around at eye level.

Ed
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you use an Allstate recommended repair facility, they will back a lifetime guarantee on the work, so don't worry too much about any problems arising in the future from the repairs.

Quick Reply: Hail damage