Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed handling impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Ladimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High speed handling impressions

New member here. My wife and I bought a 09 G37X new a few years ago. I like the car's power on highway pulls...impressive for a NA V6.
I really wanted an "S" Sport model but I was told that model had lower profile tires and the suspension was lowered a bit. I decided to stick with the standard G37x since it was for my wife and we live in the snow belt...I figured it was a bit better in the snow than a lower-profile-tired Sport model.

A few weeks ago we took it on a long trip and drove it south on I77 through the mountains for West Virginia. There is a stretch of I77 south of Charleston that really tests a cars high speed stability. I was quite disappointed in the performance of the G. It had plenty of power, but in the turns, it had trouble holding the line and when it hit a mid corner bump, the suspension would get all spooky and floaty. It was not confidence inspiring, to say the least.

For comparison, we took my dad's 08 Mercedes E350 with Sport package on the same trip earlier last year, and even though it's down about 60hp, it's handling left nothing to be desired.

I wanted to hear other people's opinions on the G's high speed handling and to you G37x Sport owners, what are your opinion's on your car's high speed handling?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:45 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I dropped my 10 G37S sedan before I hit 100 miles on the OD so I don't know how the stock handling was, but with springs it handled great, no issues, even at high speeds.

Get some sway bars, you'll notice a HUGE improvement, you won't get the crazy body roll.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Albert60

I agree with the OP. I have a G37S sedan and high speed handling and stability are not that good. I'm coming from an S5 and C63. The german cars feel much more solid and stable. The G37 feels nervous and insubstantial.

The stock G37s feels floaty at high and low speeds. I'm considering Eibachs and maybe a sway bar. But not sure about dumping any $$ into this car that I'm only into temporarily for financial reasons.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Ladimer

Drop it, get some sway bars, and wider tires....anything else or does that pretty much solve the high speed handling spookiness?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Ladimer

Originally Posted by Albert60
I agree with the OP. I have a G37S sedan and high speed handling and stability is not that good. I'm coming from an S5 and C63. The german cars feel much more solid and stable. The G37 feels nervous and insubstantial.

The stock G37s feels floaty at high and low speeds. I'm considering Eibachs and maybe a sway bar. But not sure about dumping any $$ into this car that I'm only into temporarily for financial reasons.
Interesting that you say your Sport model has handling issues too. For my wife, this car is fine, if I was daily driving it (which I may in a few years) sounds like I would need to do some suspension mods to satisfy the way I like to drive.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
geeez^^^
Old 03-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Ladimer

Originally Posted by Pcasey
geeez^^^
What do you mean by this post?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:56 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ladimer
What do you mean by this post?
nothing much, just would think that if you would want to go drive at high speeds and cornering you would think about tuning the suspension, especially if you bought a car without sport suspension and performance tires. Just wouldnt want anyone to get hurt thats all. Regardless if your on an open road or not.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:02 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
as i've said before, the G is a great car. lots of power and handles decent for the most part. however, it is not a german car. having both Infiniti and Audi with quattro, the feel of the Audi is nothing compared to the G. It is rock solid at any speed and there is no floaty feeling whatsoever. steering is solid and tight throughout. i find myself having to correct the steering more with the G and overall, it just feels more loose on the highways.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Ladimer

Originally Posted by Pcasey
nothing much, just would think that if you would want to go drive at high speeds and cornering you would think about tuning the suspension, especially if you bought a car without sport suspension and performance tires. Just wouldnt want anyone to get hurt thats all. Regardless if your on an open road or not.
My point is, with the G35 and G37 being ranked very high in all mag tests with BMW's and Audi's (some comparos even had the G37 ranked top), I assumed that it's handling, including high speed handling, was on par with a comparable German sport sedan. I do not recall reading once where a test driver commented poorly on the G's high speed handling.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ladimer
My point is, with the G35 and G37 being ranked very high in all mag tests with BMW's and Audi's (some comparos even had the G37 ranked top), I assumed that it's handling, including high speed handling, was on par with a comparable German sport sedan. I do not recall reading once where a test driver commented poorly on the G's high speed handling.
gotcha, but also realize that the people driving and testing these cars are professionals. I see what your saying though.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Maxpilot

Coming from an 08 G35x, my new G37xS is better, but I am still getting used to the Dunlop tires. The Dunlops are squirmy. I imagine that as the tread wears down a bit they will fill better on the highway. I liked the Goodyears on the 08 G35x better.

The S version of the G37x is mostly cosmetic. It has 18in wheels and tires but I think that is all from a suspension standpoint. I have looked into the service manual and it does not look like springs or shocks are different.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read a lot of reviews of the G35/37 calling out this "squirmy" back end behavior, and most say that although it's disconcerting, it doesn't actually affect the line through the corner. My experience also.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Iv tossed my G into a lot of high speed corners, takes it like a charm. Even before the H&Rs it wasnt that bad, had a very nice balance with minimal understeer on the high speeds. With H&Rs it grips even better, most importantly the steering response is very good.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
roots4x

I haven't taken the g above 90 yet but I am fairly impressed by what I've seen so far. I've driven more than a few German cars regularly including our 2008 535i at high speeds (up to 110). Maybe you're talking above 100 but so far my car feels good. Did you buy your at new or used? Maybe there is a problem with it.

Quick Reply: High speed handling impressions