Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this repair a ripoff or for reals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Allright. Well I called them up and said give me the free rear resurfacing gratis as promised, and then put everything back together again at 80lbs and I'll take care of it myself. I was very nice throughout the entire process, no histrionics or anything like that.

They actually very nice when I can to pick up the car - they fixed my other issues - squeaky lumber support in drivers seat and super-creaky center console. They took the console apart and auto-felted everything and it was about 50% fixed - much better than it was, though. They did a multi-point inspection for free, and there was no charge for anything. So I will give them that much.

But, the re-surfacing of the rears didn't fix jack, as we all thought. The car still has judder at high speeds, and doesn't brake anywhere near as smoothly as the 2011 loner journey I drove for a few days. The problem, to me, is obviously thr fronts - I mean, I've had two resurfacings and the problem keeps popping up, I mean c'mon infiniti, pony up the GD dough for two new front rotors, they cost like 70 bucks each for chrissakes!!

That being said, I need to visit a new dealer -I am in Tuscaloosa, and this dealer was Crown Infiniti in Birmingham. I will take a visit after spring break to the next closest infiniti dealer in Montgomery and talk very seriously with them about the front rotors. I am getting sick of dealing with this issue when it could be resolved quite easily and cheaply. Labor for rotor replacement has got to be less than resurfacing. Car handles and feels fine, though nothing seems odd about the tires. Am buying a torque wrench tomorrow and will re-torque the front and check the rears.

If I do need to have anything done, I may just spend 150 on the rotors myself, and 150 on lugnuts and studs, and either do it myself or have the local Nissan place do it (in an hour they said) for around 100.00 So Crown wanted 860 or so just to replace the studs and lugnuts. I can buy new rotors, lugnuts and studs for 300, and labor is 100. So entire issue solved for 400.00 on my lonesome.

But I am calling infiniti customer service, and filing a complaint about the general lack of response to this issue from all 3 dealers who have not fixed it, and explain to them my dissatisfaction and the poor return on investment they are getting by constantly spending time and labor resurfacing everything instead of doing a replacement. It is just getting silly. I will then have them call Montgomery, and hopefully everything will be prepared ahead of time for the service and I can be done with this brake ridiculousness.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you're getting blown out of every dealer. Have you built up a relationship with any advisor you have worked with? Is your car getting regularly serviced at the dealer?

I don't think they are goodwilling ****. Isn't the brakes part of the standard warranty or atleast up to a certain mileage? I know anything above a certain amount of miles is considered wear and tear.

I remember Acura covered brakes on the TL for 3 years or 36k for squeaking and crappy rotors.

Hopefully ICS can do something for you.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Okay - here is my latest update - Crown infiniti of Birmingham is the dealer in question that tried to claim over torquing on my lug nuts. and then charge me 350 bucks for 170 in parts and 500 in labor. So I called bull**** on their conjecture, and had them put it all back together. As it turns out, that hadn't even checked the torque on the fronts.

BUT when I called ICS, they talked to Crown, and this *******, lying, cheating theiving ****nose of a dealer claimed they had and that if my fronts were warped, then it was the over-torquing that caused it. And that there was no manufacturing defect. So ICS refused to help with the issue, and basically told me to **** off, and don't let the door hit me on the way out. They were very rude. And I was rude back, I totally lost my temper.

I said, 'really!!??' I told ICS (a) that Crown never checked the bolts on the front, so they have no idea to what lb/ft they were torqued, and I was told that on several occasions; and (b) my rotors have a documented history of manufacturer-recognized defects and subsequent warranty repair. - that is, they have been machined twice by two different dealers to fix brake judder problems. so that (c) suddenly, my rotors have become defect free? And that a theoretical issue using an outright guess without any evidence to back it up has over-ruled my long history of front rotor problems? And that this theoretical issue has then re-warped my suddenly defect-free rotors?

I checked the torque on my fronts with my torque wrench, and they were nowhere no where near 150lbs. I easily uncranked them at around 85-95, and recranked them to exactly 80. There was no torque issue with my front wheels.

This is the second time I have gotten the run-around from ICS. I am sick and tired of infiniti treating me this way and the dealerships as well. Any excuse not to cover a defect or an issue. Jesus Christ, imagine if I had an aftermarket exhaust and I developed an engine problem? Infiniti, I am done with you.

This was the last straw for me - I have put up with creaks and groans, and cracking leather and whiny ECUs and brake issues and ****ty dealers everywhere, but enough is enough, I am selling this car. Seriously. I am done with luxury brands. The dealers are no better than pontiac or chevy or kia excet that they try to rip you off for more money, and the company doesn't care about keeping you as a customer.

My next car will be a 2011 Dodge Charger, a beautiful car that has been completely redone, and features an interior every bit as nice as the G37's and in many ways, nicer. Believe, I have sat in their Nappa leather versions and they are very, very nice. Much nicer than the standard leather in our G37s. The base and upgraded versions feature many more standard amenities, they have comletely re-done the suspension that makes this 2 ton car handle almost like 5-series, the new exterior is also very attractive (compared to the pre-2011 models, which I couldn't stand) and did I mention it comes with 370 HP and 395 tq? I look forward to the new era of re-vamped and competitive american muscle, and while I will be sad to see the G go, but I am done with this company. My rear deck still has a shim in it because no one could ever fix the rattle.

Besides, my kids need a larger, more comfy highway cruiser. The G37 is too small.

It's no wonder you can buy the G37 at 6.2k off MSRP through PenFed's buying service.

Last edited by ozzypriest; 03-30-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't blame you for leaving Infiniti/Nissan but I don't think you are going to get better product/service at a Dodge dealer. There are a few American cars that I would prefer rather than a G37 but for me there isn't something from Dodge/Chrysler yet.

edit: I've had problems with Nissan brakes since 1995 in a variety of cars and the dealer/corporate has always come through with free resurfacing, new rotors, and even new calipers.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@ozzypriest: I feel you! My rotors were re-surfaced twice (at 12K, 24K). Now at 40K, it's back. They refused to replace or do anything now because they say my car has 40K+ miles. I am just gonna replace my front rotors + pads in a couple of months out of my pocket.

I plan to keep this car for another 2, 3 years and get something else. Probably a Lexus. Have you considered a Lexus or the new TL? And yes, this will be my last Infiniti. The car is fun and powerful but the quality is just not there.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sorry to hear of all the BS you've been dealt. I'm seriously considering a new Mustang 5.0 for my next ride, and their leather & paint is superior to the Gs too. The new Chrysler 300s look pretty nice if I really wanted a bigger sedan, but the Mustang is just calling me out right now, and the new 5.0 is a frickin blast to drive, didnt' want to bring it back, lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Right - if I keep the car I'll have to replace the rotors and pads myself, and at 29k miles, to be denied warranty action for a well documented, recurring, manufacturer defect is just very unacceptable. I expected more out of infiniti.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
@ozzypriest: I feel you! My rotors were re-surfaced twice (at 12K, 24K). Now at 40K, it's back. They refused to replace or do anything now because they say my car has 40K+ miles. I am just gonna replace my front rotors + pads in a couple of months out of my pocket.

I plan to keep this car for another 2, 3 years and get something else. Probably a Lexus. Have you considered a Lexus or the new TL? And yes, this will be my last Infiniti. The car is fun and powerful but the quality is just not there.
Interesting. I took my G in for the first time for the brake judder and my car had 45K miles on it. They machined the rotors under warranty, without me even having to ask. I was fully expecting to have to pay.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Right - if I keep the car I'll have to replace the rotors and pads myself, and at 29k miles, to be denied warranty action for a well documented, recurring, manufacturer defect is just very unacceptable. I expected more out of infiniti.
It is pathetic the way they have treated you. If you go with Dodge, I hope you have better luck than I have. I had similar problems with them, both with a Caliber and a 2500 MegaCab. The truck has had 3 calipers actually crack in half. They replaced the first two, but now the truck is out of warranty(due to age not miles, only 30K on a 2006). Not to mention I did not trust them to replace it again only to have it break again in the future.

On the Caliber, the Catalytic converter failed at 79K miles, and they actually charged me for a software update to get rid of a CEL right after the car went over the warranty mileage.

Add to that the dealer tried to get my wife to get her oil changed every 3K miles when her manual says 7500, plus other examples. I will never buy a Chrysler product again.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KLB
It is pathetic the way they have treated you. If you go with Dodge, I hope you have better luck than I have. I had similar problems with them, both with a Caliber and a 2500 MegaCab. The truck has had 3 calipers actually crack in half. They replaced the first two, but now the truck is out of warranty(due to age not miles, only 30K on a 2006). Not to mention I did not trust them to replace it again only to have it break again in the future.

On the Caliber, the Catalytic converter failed at 79K miles, and they actually charged me for a software update to get rid of a CEL right after the car went over the warranty mileage.

Add to that the dealer tried to get my wife to get her oil changed every 3K miles when her manual says 7500, plus other examples. I will never buy a Chrysler product again.
Yes, and not to be a C/D apologist, I never liked any of their products either - interiors were always crap, styling and everything screamed cheap, even when it wasn't, but not with the new, French-owned dodge - renault has taken personal offense at the crappy quality and given the designers and engineers money to make fantastic changes - getting in and driving a new Charger and Durango was like getting the Hyundai Genesis sedan when it first come out - it was such a night and day difference from the previous products, as to seem like not coming from the same manufacturer. The quality is so different and better. And what's funnier is to read all the saps on the charger forums who have a 2006-2010 model who say the new model ain't all that great, lol, total sour grapes.

No offense to the 2006-2010 model charger owners, but that car was like driving a mcdonald's playground compared to the 2011, the 2011 is that nice in and out. The new Durango is the same way.

Anyway, I digress. Yes, I remember - F.U. infiniti, and Crown infiniti in Birmingham is a rip-off artist. Do not go. Go somewhere else for your service and sales. Infiniti and Nissan and their G.D. brakes. It is amazing that they cannot fix their crap-*** brake issues over years of awareness of the crappy rotors, soft brake pads, and general fade caused by relatively short amounts of repeated braking. Suck *** brakes.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If you look around, ALL manufactures have had issues with brakes in the last several years. They are going to cheaper materials for rotors so they are warping very easily. Some have attempted correcting it by using less aggressive pads, but that will lead to fade and less braking performance.

I remember when I got the wifes TL back in 2003, Acura was to the point where they were handing out Comptech (yes, aftermarket) rotors under warranty because their stock rotors were on such a huge backorder. She is nicer to her cars than I am, so her rotors lasted a decent amount of time with her driving, about 50K miles. I replaced them with aftermarkets a couple years ago.

I "inherited" a 2001 i30 back in 2005. The brakes were vibrating like mad. The fix? Brembo slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Excellent braking performance, no more warping (and Im not easy on my cars by any means). I sold the car recently with the exact same rotors and zero vibration, so basically 30K miles of hard life and the rotors are still fine. I did have to replace the rear calipers right before I sold it, but Ive had to replace calipers on everything Ive owned at some point, not just Nissan/Infiniti.

If I were going to buy something American, I think Ford would be the only company Id look seriously at. They seem to be doing everything right (even during the bailouts when they didnt really need one). If I didnt want to get rid of my i30 so badly, I would have traded my Frontier for a new F150.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
hadokenuh

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
If you look around, ALL manufactures have had issues with brakes in the last several years. They are going to cheaper materials for rotors so they are warping very easily. Some have attempted correcting it by using less aggressive pads, but that will lead to fade and less braking performance.
I agree with you to some degree. But the fact is, there is this brake judder TSB which specifically says to replace the rotors. The refused to do this. To me, this is not acceptable. Why do I have to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs to resolve something that is well documented???? That says something about the brand. I don't even bother to call them. I'll just buy something else next time .

We have 5 Hondas in our family. None of them has any brake problem. We've owned 3 Lexuses. They all have "luxury" brake feel - no vibration + bite well. The Accord that I get to drive once or twice a week has perfectly smooth feel and brake power on original pads and rotors at 70K+ miles

The only issue I expected with Nissan/Infiniti when I purchased the car was rattles. Surprisingly, I've got no rattles what so ever
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
KLB

I was just thinking about your brake issue and what crap that is. I have two sets of wheels with two sets of tires that have only been taken off and put on by Discount tire, and Infiniti did not hesitate to turn my rotors when I had 48K miles on my car.

I'm wondering if they have a limit to how many times they will turn them and just won't admit that.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

^^ I know. Magnussan act (sp?) is supposed to protect against dealer and manufacturer shenanigans of 'other' shops touching your car and by extension, supposed to extend the repair business safely out to non-dealer shops so that those with warranties can get services at a non-manufacturer branded shop without worrying about voiding warranties as the manufacturer has to prove that the afternarket shop or item caused the issue that would then void the warranty.

None of that occurred with my car. My front rotors or lug torque for the front wheels was never checked, they never had the wheels off. Crown infiniti in Birmingham lied to infiniti, lied to me, and infiniti screwed me.

I just purchased some Centric performance rotors (very good brand) and some hawk ceramic performance low-noise pads and some OEM lug nuts and wheel studs for the front for about 300 bucks. Local Nissan will do the labor for about 100, 150. In the end I get new rotors, nice pads, replace all of the studs and nuts for peace of mind for about 400.00

And then sell the car. lol. My closest decent dealer is 2 hours away. And again, I am fixing a warranty item for cash out of pocket. I sure could have used that 400 for something else. Like part of a down payment on another car.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
hadokenuh

Are you seriously selling the car after putting new pads and rotors? If I were you, I'd just turn the rotors and sell it.

Anyway, how do you like the new brakes?

Quick Reply: Is this repair a ripoff or for reals?