G37 Sedan

Given the same mileage(30k) and options, is it worth getting the G37x vs. G35x??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
i3eezenotch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the same mileage(30k) and options, is it worth getting the G37x vs. G35x??

Hey guys, so I might be able to get an 09 G37x sedan for 29500 after tax, tags and fees with 30,000 miles...that's already negotiated, although I feel there's a small chance I can get it for 29,000 flat.

I can get an 08 G35x sedan for between 25 and 26000 including tax, tags and fees. Both cars are sold at non-infiniti dealerships and they both have premium package and a sunroof. The only other thing is t hat the G37x has Navi as well.

What are the key differences between the G35x and G37x? Is it worth spedning an extra 4-5,000 on the G37x?? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM
OMG35S

Research is your friend.. There isn't a HUGE difference.. But there are differences... RESEARCH
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
evilpanda

like OMG35S said, research. but IMO i'd go with the 09, its a newer car.

also, consider test driving both and see for yourself.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM
DigMy35x

Where do you live? I just traded my 08G35x with all of the packages except Sport (had Nav/Premium/Wood/Tech) Graphite/Graphite.

Dealer will put on lot for probably $32,500. Only has 15,000 miles. I would have bought it out at the end of lease but got a great deal on a 2010. I would guess they would dump it for close to what you are paying on those other 2 options and I know it was in great shape. If you are interested, PM me and I'll get you in touch with the sales manager.

Definitely test drive both. G37 upgrades are nice but not earth shattering in my opininon. I haven't had the 2010 G37 for that long but I miss the transmission in the G35 - less gear hunting. Better mileage in the G37 (supposedly) maybe 1-2mpg more.

I like the 2010 upgrades to the exterior (and a few interior touches) but the 08 and 09's are much more similar in those regards (except the dials for seat heaters).

I believe the Nav and tech items are the same from 08 to 09.

In my opinion - not that much of a difference in 08-09 35-37. Bigger difference going to 2010 G37 as I like the exterior more and the Nav is upgraded.

Both nice cars though!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Jay
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
i3eezenotch

Originally Posted by DigMy35x
Where do you live? I just traded........

Jay

Hey, thanks for the info. Can you tell much of a difference in the drive between the G35x and the G37x? Is the slight diff in horsepower noticeable? Anything else feel different? And have you actually noticed t he increase in gas mileage or is more on paper?

Those are the main things that interest me, I guess. Which dealer did you trade your car into? The thing is, if I had to spend anywhere near 30k, I would surely go for the 09 G37x I saw as it's also loaded. If I am getting an 08, I want it 25k or so out the door.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 AM
DigMy35x

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
Hey, thanks for the info. Can you tell much of a difference in the drive between the G35x and the G37x? Is the slight diff in horsepower noticeable? Anything else feel different? And have you actually noticed t he increase in gas mileage or is more on paper?

Those are the main things that interest me, I guess. Which dealer did you trade your car into? The thing is, if I had to spend anywhere near 30k, I would surely go for the 09 G37x I saw as it's also loaded. If I am getting an 08, I want it 25k or so out the door.
I haven't had the chance to push the 37 yet since I'm breaking it in but from what I've read, there isn't a significant difference. In my opinion the G35 was plenty fast! I still would strongly recommend you drive both back to back in traffic conditions that mimic your daily drive. I don't have much bumper to bumper traffic for my typical commute but the 7 speed transmission might drive me crazy if I did - again, a LOT of gear hunting and flaring. It's not the worst thing in the world and many folks have figured out how to adapt their driving style but if you are comparing and the difference is $4-$5k+ in price I would want to know that upfront.

Nothing else 'feels' that much different to me. I saw a definite 1-2 MPG more on highway driving with the G37 than I had with my 35. I thought that was pretty good since I'm still in break-in and that might improve.

I'm outside of Philadelphia by the way. If the G37 is loaded then that might make sense to pay more for the newer car, same mileage.

I wouldn't say not to buy the 09 (or a 2010) because of the transmission - it's really not that bad. But if you have the opportunity to drive the 08 and 09 back to back - just see what you think yourself with a test drive.

All else being equal - I'd go with the 09 for the reasons mentioned above. I also would think that the transmission changes would be good to know about so I wouldn't regret my buying decision. If you know about it in advance and you know about it then you can feel comfortable moving forward even if you curse it at some point in the futuer. At least you made an educated decision and won't feel like you 'wish you would have known back then'.

I'm really not trying to trash the 7 speed - just throwing it out there.

The dealership I traded to was Infiniti of Ardmore. Again, if you are interested, PM me and I'll call the sales manager and get you in touch. I had a great experience and if someone can get a great car, in great shape I'd be happy to see it in a nice home

Jay
Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DigMy35X: Man, You and I think so alike..... To the member looking at a 2009 for $29K with 30 k miles. Too bad i didn't run into you earlier. You could have taken my 07 G35X with 25k in miles, in excellent conditon (needed new mats, and nice renewing detailing job, not big deal) for about $23K - I would have made afew bucks, and he would have a GREAT CAR. With reference to that 7 AT in the 2010 - I guess in the 09, 08s too, Drive athe car thoroughly in many diffrent situations - take more than 1 test drive. But I have to admit, I did have an 08 or 09 Loaner during the course of my maintenance visits to the Dealer, I can't remember this "gear hunting, untorquey feeling from the AT". I DID notice the less sensitive Throttle, but not this reduced performance of the tranny. Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
To the OP, if you're still interested. Very subtle differences. On paper, they're said to be exactly the same 0-60, but your but dyno will say otherwise.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tested both and would go 37 - just think when your ready to move on in a couple of years which car will be better to bargin with
Old 07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 0-60 times are about the same because the G37 is a little bit heavier due to the engine (and maybe the 7-speed transmission). I had a 2006 G35 with the 5-speed and I can say that the 5-speed is more swift and feels quicker just because you're revving around at a higher rpm (hence used more fuel) and the 7-speed would need to downshift to the 5th gear first to get to about the same rpm. That's why the 7-speed hunts more because there are more gears to go through but it makes more sense when paired with a more powerful engine aso it has a wider power range to play around with. I prefer the 7-speed because it does save you some gas and you can always drive the 7-speed in manual mode and keep it in the 4th/5th gear if you want similar feel.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indycase
I think the 0-60 times are about the same because the G37 is a little bit heavier due to the engine (and maybe the 7-speed transmission). I had a 2006 G35 with the 5-speed and I can say that the 5-speed is more swift and feels quicker just because you're revving around at a higher rpm (hence used more fuel) and the 7-speed would need to downshift to the 5th gear first to get to about the same rpm. That's why the 7-speed hunts more because there are more gears to go through but it makes more sense when paired with a more powerful engine aso it has a wider power range to play around with. I prefer the 7-speed because it does save you some gas and you can always drive the 7-speed in manual mode and keep it in the 4th/5th gear if you want similar feel.
Indycase: Having had the 07 G35X and now a 2010 G37X, it's the Driveability {for the lack of a better term} that is the difference..... IMO, the 07 was far better in "feel" and real perfromance. I'm having my new checked because, not only is there way too much gear hunting, when I brake reasonably hard at any speed, then step on the throttle - there is a lag very similar to a Turbo Lag...Hate It........The 07 had None of This..

To the member that is inquiring about getting an 07 G35X with lo mileage (mine only had 25K miles when traded in in June {Check with Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY - think I just saw my old car in their new flyer asking $24,995 Premium package only , No Navi) vs. a new G37X for thousands more with this freakin 7 spd Tranny, it's a No Brainer to me. At $24k to $23K [depending on yout negotiations] for a car that is Certifed Pre-Owned, checked out, and maybe get them to include a new 100k mile warranty, that's the way you should seriously be thinking. Man, I made a stupid mistake not taking my old car. Advise to you: Drive both for long test drives in different speed and road conditions.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
328HP

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
Hey guys, so I might be able to get an 09 G37x sedan for 29500 after tax, tags and fees with 30,000 miles...that's already negotiated, although I feel there's a small chance I can get it for 29,000 flat.

I can get an 08 G35x sedan for between 25 and 26000 including tax, tags and fees. Both cars are sold at non-infiniti dealerships and they both have premium package and a sunroof. The only other thing is t hat the G37x has Navi as well.

What are the key differences between the G35x and G37x? Is it worth spedning an extra 4-5,000 on the G37x?? Thanks!
I may be able to help here I had an 08 G35x and now a 10 G37xS

I LOVED the 08, the engine just delivered the goods, there is minimal differences in track times btwn the 37 and 35. My mielage was 18.8 (around 40k miles when I let it go) with the G35x and now I am at 19.2 with the G37xS (less than 10k miles).

The only issue, which may not even be a biggie is the revs, the 37 is much more relaxed in how it goes about its business, the 35 not so much, a bit busy I think.

Then there is the issue of 5 gears vs 7 gears. Personally I think this is summed up with the rev issue noted above. On the plus side, the G35 has fewer gears to down shift if power is needed ASAP.

Dont get hung up on 328hp vs 306hp, its a drivers race both are equally capable. I have much respect for the 07-08 G35s on the road. I do miss my VQ35 but I would not go back either.

So Navi is a 1k option, your difference is then ~ 3k, do I think its worth it to pay ~ 3k for the G37 over the G35, thats not important. Drive both cars, you may prefer the way the G35 goes about its business (its a bit naughtier ). You cannot go wrong with either IMO.