G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to a G37x. I have 2 questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM
cavv123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to a G37x. I have 2 questions for you.

2 days ago I traded my 07 G35x (5 speed automatic)for a 10 G37x(7 speed automatic).
2 things that I would like to know if could be fixed/addressed/upgrade?
1st:
Does anyone know how to reverse the steering wheel presets to switch radio stations? On my 07G35x if you move it down it went from 1 to 2 then to 3.. etc. Now it does the oposite. If im listening to preset #2 then I press down it goes to #1.
2nd:
When you are in Manual mode, and you are under hard acceleration and you shift to the next gear (i.e: 2nd to 3rd) there is a large delay/gap between the 2. Is there a way to address this? On my 07 the response was very quick.

I call my very condesceding infiniti dealership agent this morning and he told me that this is the way it is and that I just have to get use to it.
Could someone confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

cavv123
Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 AM
hufington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately it is a new transmission and it is definitely less responsive. I had similar issues and also issues when decelerating from 30 to 20 mph and my service consultant said that this new 7AT is a little less aggressive and the previous transmission's program was tuned down this time to have a smoother operation. He also said that the first 1500 miles is the"learning period" for the 7AT transmission. I don't know how accurate that is though. My 08 G35x was much more responsive, maybe due to 2 fewer gears.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM
GxS

in terms of improving shifting response time, i would probably put grounding wires into your car or put a valve body upgrade into your transmission

when i had a G37x as a loaner, the lag b/w shifts was my biggest issue with the car
Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM
cavv123

Thanks for your responses guys. Would grounding wires make a difference?
Anyone care to comment on the steering wheel radio controls?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cavv123
Thanks for your responses guys. Would grounding wires make a difference?
No

Anyone care to comment on the steering wheel radio controls?
The was a recall notice sent out for that. It affected only the first batch of cars. The dealer should have address this in the PDI. It's just a simple software update from what I understand; go back to the dealer and ask them to do it.

Search is your friend: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...k-buttons.html

My 2009 G37 works the same way as your 2007 G35 did. When I press down on the steering wheel controls it goes from preset 1 -> 2 -> 3 etc. pushing up does the opposite 3 -> 2 -> 1.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 06-10-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
No

The was a recall notice sent out for that. It affected only the first batch of cars. The dealer should have address this in the PDI. It's just a simple software update from what I understand; go back to the dealer and ask them to do it.

Search is your friend: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...k-buttons.html

My 2009 G37 works the same way as your 2007 G35 did. When I press down on the steering wheel controls it goes from preset 1 -> 2 -> 3 etc. pushing up does the opposite 3 -> 2 -> 1.
Yes, ask your dealership what they did for the (excessive) $X of dealer prep that i can guarantee they charged you in full for if they didn't even address known/recalled items?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
cavv123

Thanks for the prompt responses and the link to this topic already discussed. I knew I was not the only one with the backwards radio presets. My local dealership already said that this is the new thing with the 2010 G37x. I will call infiniti consumer affairs tomorrow to confirm this and to inquire about the recall and wether or not my car was included in this software configuration upgrade.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM
indycase

2 days ago I traded my 07 G35x (5 speed automatic)for a 10 G37x(7 speed automatic).
2 things that I would like to know if could be fixed/addressed/upgrade?
1st:
Does anyone know how to reverse the steering wheel presets to switch radio stations? On my 07G35x if you move it down it went from 1 to 2 then to 3.. etc. Now it does the oposite. If im listening to preset #2 then I press down it goes to #1.
2nd:
When you are in Manual mode, and you are under hard acceleration and you shift to the next gear (i.e: 2nd to 3rd) there is a large delay/gap between the 2. Is there a way to address this? On my 07 the response was very quick.

I call my very condesceding infiniti dealership agent this morning and he told me that this is the way it is and that I just have to get use to it.
Could someone confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

cavv123
I could say that your 2007G35x is opposite to my 2006 G35x cuz the 2006 is the same as the 2010

With respect to your second question, do you mean when you're flooring it, it doesn't shift quick enough and hangs around the redline for too long? Or do you mean when you are in DS mode and after you floor it and let go of the accelerator, the gear hangs on and doesn't shift to the next gear soon enough? If it's the latter, it's normal because it's meant to keep the car in the sweet spot of the power band longer for more responsive acceleration at speed.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 AM
virus372841

Originally Posted by indycase
I could say that your 2007G35x is opposite to my 2006 G35x cuz the 2006 is the same as the 2010

With respect to your second question, do you mean when you're flooring it, it doesn't shift quick enough and hangs around the redline for too long? Or do you mean when you are in DS mode and after you floor it and let go of the accelerator, the gear hangs on and doesn't shift to the next gear soon enough? If it's the latter, it's normal because it's meant to keep the car in the sweet spot of the power band longer for more responsive acceleration at speed.
I've noticed something similar on mine, but at highway speeds.

If I'm on the highway doing 50 mph, and I floor the 7AT (not in 'manual' mode, in full auto), two things happen:
  1. If I control the rpms with my foot, by letting the car hit the sweet spot in rpm (5500 on mine), the car bolts forward and accelerates like a mad-man.
  2. If I don't control the acceleration carefully and miss the sweet spot at 5500 rpm, there is a noticeable drop-off in torque, and the revs hang around 6000~6300 rpm for a couple of seconds before the car drops to a lower gear, and only then does it accelerate (albeit slower than #1).
Is #2 normal in other G37x 7AT's?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by virus372841
I've noticed something similar on mine, but at highway speeds.

If I'm on the highway doing 50 mph, and I floor the 7AT (not in 'manual' mode, in full auto), two things happen:
  1. If I control the rpms with my foot, by letting the car hit the sweet spot in rpm (5500 on mine), the car bolts forward and accelerates like a mad-man.
  2. If I don't control the acceleration carefully and miss the sweet spot at 5500 rpm, there is a noticeable drop-off in torque, and the revs hang around 6000~6300 rpm for a couple of seconds before the car drops to a lower gear, and only then does it accelerate (albeit slower than #1).
Is #2 normal in other G37x 7AT's?
All he is referring to (at least what he wrote) is shift delay in manual mode. Click the paddle or shove the lever and ... wait ... and then the shift occurs. We will always want it to respond quicker. In cars with advanced transmissions, the shifts take only milliseconds. Alas, our G's just have a traditional auto slush box with some fancy programming added to it. The response time of the shift to the manual selection can be changed with programming, but it is probably set at a safe/reliable time now that the tranny can handle. Compared to other manumatics, my ('09) G responds to the paddles "OK." Not great, but no particularly or bothersome noticeable lag, either.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
virus372841

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
All he is referring to (at least what he wrote) is shift delay in manual mode. Click the paddle or shove the lever and ... wait ... and then the shift occurs. We will always want it to respond quicker. In cars with advanced transmissions, the shifts take only milliseconds. Alas, our G's just have a traditional auto slush box with some fancy programming added to it. The response time of the shift to the manual selection can be changed with programming, but it is probably set at a safe/reliable time now that the tranny can handle. Compared to other manumatics, my ('09) G responds to the paddles "OK." Not great, but no particularly or bothersome noticeable lag, either.
Hmm... any input on what I'm describing in #2 then, Marc? Similar issues on your G37?