G37 Sedan

Another dead G37 Battery.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another dead G37 Battery.....

I've noticed that my seemed to turn over a touch slow on some chilly mornings (40's) we've been having this month. The total cranks needed to start don't seem any longer, but the cranking itself seemed to be about 80% of normal, just enough to make me think...hmmmm.

I was working on my car today (winter mats and rear deck rattle..more on that in a later post) and I managed to kill my battery. Couple of dome lights on and the radio on really low...maybe was like that for 2 hours. I thought nothing of it.

I jumped in after getting it all put back together and no power! It was like 90% dead. It had enough to unlock and lock the doors...but the tailights would barely flash. Now...I taxed the battery with my 2 hour stunt...but I'm positive it should have dealt with that much use just fine.

What do you guys think? And what should I do? I'm heading in to winter. I want to tell the dealership and get a new batter, but i'm sure a fully charged batter will show even if I leave it overnight. I don't want to wait until its dead on a cold morning and have it towed only to have replace it then.

I've only had the G for 6 months so I'm sure if they were going to replace it...it would be free.

Might be an excuse upgrade to a lightweight battery
Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM
legion681

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my very personal opinion, get an Optima Red Top or Yellow Top and don't look back.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
ak47
Banned

my battery dies after sitting in my garage for 2 days in the winter. complain asap. they should replace it for free. the only thing is when it dies you most likely jump it then drive over to the dealer by the time the check it out they will tell you nothing is wrong with it. you will have to get it towed in to get them to do anything or work something out with them to leave it there for 2 nights for them to try in the morning to start it. 50 degress or less weather you should be good for a free replacement.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take it to the dealer to be looked at. I've had my original batter for a little over a year. Sometimes my cars sits for 3 or 4 days without being driven and there's no problem starting it up; even in the winter.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:52 PM
aznutx

sure take it to the dealership and have them check it out, u got nothign to lose but time, and if they do determine it's the battery and replace it, ur good if not then all u did was waste an hour

yeah i also recommend optima redtop, numerous threads on the stupid battery issue and i've posted my personal experience, so i wont go into again, but infiniti batteries suck
Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 AM
nestle_!9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny thing is when the car first died on me,, i was also working with the car-- as far as i can remember i was doing my brakes. then tried to start it-- nothing.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 AM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
battery died, had it jumped, and i drove it to the dealer. They tested it, the battery came out good. I left it overnight for a oil change. The next morning it was dead. they changed the battery for free, and the cables for it.

IF it dies again, ill go with the optima redtop, as i have heard alot of horror stories with infiniti batteries.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
wetboy44

I think it is true of batteries in Japanese cars as a whole. My last 6 cars (4 new, 2 used) going back to 1991 have all been Japanese cars, and only one of them had a battery that lasted more than 36 months, and that was my 2006 G35X. I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse and the battery died in the middle of August - it was 2 1/2 years old. My 2004 Acura TL would not start the day after I bought it - battery was DOA. I have a 2009 G37X and I have no confidence that it will last the length of my lease - especially now, after reading everyone's comments!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My family has owned Japanese cars for the last 10 years and we've never had problems with the batteries. They've all lasted us about 5 years before they needed to be changed.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got an appointment with the dealer on Thursday night.....
Old 11-29-2009, 03:46 PM
tafn430

Which Redtop Battery

Does anyone know which Redtop battery model / part # works with the 2009 G37 Sedan? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:53 PM
g37mobbin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are 35 group^
Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I already killed my battery once by leaving the car in accessories 'on' position accidentally. Got it jumped, and the battery's been fine ever since - that was many months ago. I've had no problems. And the battery in my 05 Odyssey just died after 4.5 years of usage. Replaced it with a wal-mart battery. Neither I nor consumer reports could justify spending $200 where $80 sufficed.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM
tafn430

How do you leave it in the accessories 'on' position? Are you talking about the G37 here? I just got my new G37 last week and 3 days later I was having it towed back to the dealer because of a dead battery..or at least that's what we think it is.. will find out tomorrow. Any suggestions what are my options here? This is a lease.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
colburs

When I was perusing showroom cars at the dealership (picking up a G37 next week) I was poking around under the hood and was surprised by how small these batteries are. They are about halfway between a full size battery and a miniature racing battery. It's no wonder they don't last very long.

As far as the comment about Japanese cars as a whole, my two other cars are a Honda Accord and Toyota 4Runner both of which I bought new five years ago. Both are still going strong on their original batteries. I had an Acura Integra for three years, a Nissan Maxima for four, and an older Honda Accord for 4. None of these ever needed a new battery in the time I owned them.

Quick Reply: Another dead G37 Battery.....