Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Trans Issues? Looking for some Direction

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
hragarand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Issues? Looking for some Direction

Not sure if these are actual concerns or more along the lines of a concerned new car owner. 2009 G37xS- 1,200 miles, 7/3/09 purchase date. 7-speed automatic. Infinity of Hoffman Estates.

3 Issues so far related to the transmission - everything else on car is excellent.

1. Read the boards about the rough 4th to 3rd down shift. Figured I might have that issue when I read about it. Initially I figured it was related to the AWD and a friend of mine that test drove the car noticed the engine braking about 30 mph. Brought the car in and handed the service bulletin to the manager. Master Tech drove the car. No issue noted during test drive, no update available according to the receipt.

This is what I notice while driving - when coasting to a stop as the vehicle gets to about 30mph the tach will show 1100 to 1200 rpm or so. Then the tach will go up to about 1,800 for a second or two as the engine appears to be braking the car and then it releases back to 1100 rpm or so and coasts more normally. Is that the harsh downshift folks have experienced? Or is this related just normal slowdown with AWD. I use to get that same coasting sensation in my old '90 4Runner while in 4-wheel drive.

2. Cold start in the morning, in the garage, windows down When placed in reverse I can hear an audible sound like a clicking sound. 1 click that it is. No rough clunk like the trans is engaged just a single click.

3. Rough shifting from start. When the G37 pulls out from a stop whether pulling out straight at a stop or during a turn from a side street the trans shifts roughly till it gets to 3rd or so. Much more rough than the Lexus ES 300 I use to drive.

Are these things noticed by most G37 drivers or is my imagination running wild here Perhaps I am just not use to a higher performance vehicle but I would think the trans and engine would be smooth as butter.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
KLB

#1 does indeed sound like the rough donwshift that has been discussed. Apparently some of the newer productions already have a updated version of the TCM software on them.

When was your car made?

AWD is much different than 4WD, and is only on when taking off or as needed with this car.

#3 could just be your perception. I haven't noticed any hard ****ing when I take off with mine.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Feld

hragarand,

I'm a former A4 owner who just purchased a G37xS. I have 1300 miles on my car, purchased 6/30/09. I completely agree with you that the upshifting is rough and jerky. The trans really does not feel like an automatic and it is driving me crazy.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
aznutx

for #2 that reverse click sound u hear, does it sound like a flagpole ding?
if so a few of us have that problem and i believe there's a tsb for it, but last time i took mine in with a copy of the tsb they said the sound is normal so i dunno
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 PM
stardust
Premier Member

When did Infinity start making cars? I thought they made speakers
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
kyo7878

^ ROFL.. come on easy on the new guys
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
hragarand

When Infinity fixes the trans I will fix the name
Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 AM
d999

I'm sure they will get right on that now that you have stated your position
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
RotaryRevn

This is my first (and possibly last) Infinity. I thought I was buying a quality vehicle when I picked up my 2009 g37 sedan. All these transmission issues are totally unacceptable. Shoot, my honda civic shifts better than this car.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Feld

Rotary,

I agree. I drove an A4 before my new 09 G37xS and the G feels like I'm driving a manual. It really does not shift like a luxury sedan. It's a sports car with an incredibly sporty trans. Considering that the transmission is controlled by a computer, I wish there was a setting to make it shift like a luxury car without any jerkiness.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
w0ady

1. theres a tsb out there for this. on my 7at coupe its helped probably 70-80% with this issue.

2. i dont notice any cold start issues in my garage. where do you live though? here in fl, cold isnt a big worry heh.

3. i drive pretty hard in manual mode 95% of the time so i cant really compare to D. whenever i leave it in D, it seems super smooth to be but thats probably just perception.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Michelangelo

I think a lot of this issue is just perception and individual preference. Also, it takes some time for the car to "learn" how you drive. I have noticed a considerable smoothing-out of the 7AT's shifting from when I bought the car to now (around 4500 miles).

That having been said, this is a pretty sporty car we're talking about. I don't WANT it to shift like a Sedan de Ville. Even when I first got the car I enjoyed how it shifted. Now it shifts pretty smoothly when I drive it like a regular car, and it runs through the gears almost like a manual when I drive it hard.

Unless there's a legitimate mechanical problem (entirely possible) it comes down to "de gustibus non est disputandum."
Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
w0ady

+1 on the car smoothing out over time. the trans learns your driving a bit so it takes some time getting used to you as you do getting used to it.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
hragarand

Don't get me wrong I love the sportiness of the vehicle and I drive it 99% of the time in D mode. It does not appear as if the engine power and trans are in sync throughout the power band. My 1987 Turbo Buick could not corner worth a darn but the shifts of the automatic 4 were crisp and smooth throughout the power band.

This is the main issue I have and you have to put several pieces of information together to get this real driving situation.

A. The dealership indicated there is nothing wrong with the shifting and the TSB for the harsh 4th to 3rd gear shifting did not have to be applied when I brought it in.

B. Today, post dealership, as you are slowing down to 30mph in D mode with your foot of the gas or while braking the car takes a sudden jump from 1100 rpm to about 1800 rpm and you can feel engine braking for several seconds. I can feel it in the brake pedal.

C. If you are rolling through a curve or making a turn and hit the gas just when B (the rpm spike hits) the hesitation on the acceleration is pronounce and the shifting is not smooth. I get the same hesitation when starting from a start.

I will call the dealership to see what other stops are available to me.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
netmag

I've test driven the G37x sedan a few times. I would say that if there's a big lag in shifting at certain points or the shifting is too unpredictable at times, then that would indeed be a problem for me (one that I'm hoping the TSB mentioned here and elsewhere took care of).

On my first test drive, I noticed a lag or jerk when I accelerated from a dead stop around a corner. Can't be certain it was a lag or bad shift or not. Since that one was my first test drive I couldn't tell if it was really a bad shift of just me not being used to the power.

On the 2nd test drive, i drove one at another dealership. I noted the different feel of the drive and again loved it. I don't recall a bad shift during the 2nd test drive but it was a short one and I couldn't punch it quite as hard as I could on the first drive due to the location. Also, I don't know if either of the vehicles I test drove had the TSB applied though.

If it's a just shifting very aggressively and sporty then that's not so bad to me because that's what I'm buying the vehicle for. If I wanted it to shift like an Accord or Camry then that's what I'd buy. We already have a family sized lux. CUV (Buick Enclave) and it rides really, really nice. It's great for hauling the family places, but I want something with a different drive feel when the time comes to replace our other vehicle and the G is looking pretty good right now.

For those who hate it, did you not notice the way it shifted during your test drives or is it something that happened gradually? Also, did you get the TSB done on it?

Quick Reply: Trans Issues? Looking for some Direction