G37 Sedan

How accurate is 'miles remaining'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude. I now have no doubts about your knowlege...LOL CLearly I cannot compete in this field, but let me just remind you that (1) this is all theoretical, which is cool, but do we really need to test every theory? (2) people don't always do what they should especially at smaller stations in the middle of nowhere; (3) if you are emchancially inclined, surely you have heard stories of "bad" gas doing damage to motors or just not starting ect so IT HAPPENS; and (4) even if EVERYTHING you said is ABSOLUTELY factually accurate, do you still reasonably believe that what I said is "100% false", as in no exceptions are possible?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
Dude. I now have no doubts about your knowlege...LOL CLearly I cannot compete in this field, but let me just remind you that (1) this is all theoretical, which is cool, but do we really need to test every theory? (2) people don't always do what they should especially at smaller stations in the middle of nowhere; (3) if you are emchancially inclined, surely you have heard stories of "bad" gas doing damage to motors or just not starting ect so IT HAPPENS; and (4) even if EVERYTHING you said is ABSOLUTELY factually accurate, do you still reasonably believe that what I said is "100% false", as in no exceptions are possible?
I have no desire to measure ****** with you. This has gotten way off of the OP's topic. Yes, there have been cases of contaminated fuel entering vehicle engines and causing damage. However my point is simply that there is not any significant danger of having an issue or problem from running any modern vehicle low on gas other than running out of gas which is a totally different topic.

My apologies for being argumentative. Even though I am right.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM
CalsonicVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The user's manual for my 07 G sedan states that the light turns on when there is 3 1/8 gals remaining. I average around 20mpg so I figure I have ~65miles left while the DTE will say ~30mis. Don't know if G37 is the same though...
Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
The user's manual for my 07 G sedan states that the light turns on when there is 3 1/8 gals remaining. I average around 20mpg so I figure I have ~65miles left while the DTE will say ~30mis. Don't know if G37 is the same though...
I was looking for that info in the 09 manual. It only says:

There is a small reserve of fuel remaining in the
tank when the fuel gauge reaches the empty (E)
position.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have no desire to measure ****** with you. This has gotten way off of the OP's topic. Yes, there have been cases of contaminated fuel entering vehicle engines and causing damage. However my point is simply that there is not any significant danger of having an issue or problem from running any modern vehicle low on gas other than running out of gas which is a totally different topic.

My apologies for being argumentative. Even though I am right.
LOL, ok ok... For all of our sakes I hope you are right and although I do often fall below a 1/4 tank, I will continue to believe that running the car on E all the time will most likely increase (negligbly a la BB's explanation) the probability of fuel system problems.

Don't be sorry, just don't do it again! LOL