Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wanting to upgrade my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to upgrade my exhaust

I want to upgrade the HFCs and the CAT back exhaust, I am looking at Fast Intentions.
HFC and CAT Back

My question has to do with determining if I should get the resonated versions or just x out the resonators. I want it loud, I want to enhance the deep G37 exhaust notes, when I drive through my parking garage at work, I am hoping to set off a handful of alarms But, I don't want it TOO loud. My first choice to go with no resonators on either the HFC or CAT back, can anyone advise on if this might hit the TOO loud arena, I am not concerned about my neighbors, several of them drive Honda civic ricer types, so there is plenty of loud exhaust to go around. One guy has a little Ford truck with straight pipes, it's really loud.

I am planning on no resos on the HFC, but should I opt for the 12" resos on the CAT back? maybe that would be a happy medium.

P.S. these will be installed on 2011 G37 IPL. My friends complain my exhaust is not beefy enough, so I must cater to their needs My 04' G35 sounded better stock IMHO than the 11' G37.
Feedback and opinions welcome.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Resonated bc it will be more than what you want
The following users liked this post:
Popo (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Resonated test pipes.
Popo (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:37 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
There's also a difference between loud and rasp. IMHO loud can be good but rasp is not. If you don't want rasp then go with resonated. Worst case you can have a shop remove the resonators. Honestly it's hard for us to tell you what you want, you have to hear it for yourself. Check videos (there are plenty on this site) or post in your local forum and maybe meet up with someone so you can hear it for yourself.
Popo (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Popo

Thanks for the input, are you suggesting resonators in both the HFC, and the CAT back? I will check out some videos, that is good idea, I don't know anyone locally that has an upgraded exhaust similar to what Fast Intentions offers, but it would be great to hear in person. I might check around and see what I can find locally.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
I have FI resonated cats leading to 2.5" FI catback with 18" resonators, and to me it sounds exotic, deep, and as loud as I want, depending on how much load I put on the engine. There's a particular road not far from my house which has a crazy steep hill, the kind of hill that makes you stop and think "Holy ****!" when you first see it. I have so much fun racing up that hill, sounds like I'm waking the dead and defying gravity. Horrible for the car, and probably sucks a quart of gasoline every time I do it, but fortunately I'm very immature, old age notwithstanding.

Popo, exhaust sound is always subjective, but I lean into NielP's comment and think rasp sounds cheap, no matter the volume. The IPL is a special car, you don't want it to sound like a rice cart.
Popo (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 02:35 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Popo
Thanks for the input, are you suggesting resonators in both the HFC, and the CAT back? I will check out some videos, that is good idea, I don't know anyone locally that has an upgraded exhaust similar to what Fast Intentions offers, but it would be great to hear in person. I might check around and see what I can find locally.
That all depends on your level of tolerance for rasp. I'd say do them one at a time but that's more $$ unless you plan on doing it yourself.
Popo (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Popo

Originally Posted by NealP
That all depends on your level of tolerance for rasp. I'd say do them one at a time but that's more $$ unless you plan on doing it yourself.
I am hoping to do them both together and get my neighbor to help install, from what it looks like it's not too difficult. Of course that is consider I don't run into any others issue which never happens

Leaning toward the resonators now.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Popo

Originally Posted by Rochester
I have FI resonated cats leading to 2.5" FI catback with 18" resonators, and to me it sounds exotic, deep, and as loud as I want, depending on how much load I put on the engine. There's a particular road not far from my house which has a crazy steep hill, the kind of hill that makes you stop and think "Holy ****!" when you first see it. I have so much fun racing up that hill, sounds like I'm waking the dead and defying gravity. Horrible for the car, and probably sucks a quart of gasoline every time I do it, but fortunately I'm very immature, old age notwithstanding.

Popo, exhaust sound is always subjective, but I lean into NielP's comment and think rasp sounds cheap, no matter the volume. The IPL is a special car, you don't want it to sound like a rice cart.
Nice story, and yes I don't want sound like a ricer. Is the sound considerably louder and deeper than stock?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:07 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Here's some inspiration https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...thread-12.html
Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Nice story, and yes I don't want sound like a ricer. Is the sound considerably louder and deeper than stock?
Very much so.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-04-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Popo (11-04-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 03:32 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I want to upgrade the HFCs and the CAT back exhaust, I am looking at Fast Intentions.
HFC and CAT Back

My question has to do with determining if I should get the resonated versions or just x out the resonators. I want it loud, I want to enhance the deep G37 exhaust notes, when I drive through my parking garage at work, I am hoping to set off a handful of alarms But, I don't want it TOO loud. My first choice to go with no resonators on either the HFC or CAT back, can anyone advise on if this might hit the TOO loud arena, I am not concerned about my neighbors, several of them drive Honda civic ricer types, so there is plenty of loud exhaust to go around. One guy has a little Ford truck with straight pipes, it's really loud.

I am planning on no resos on the HFC, but should I opt for the 12" resos on the CAT back? maybe that would be a happy medium.

P.S. these will be installed on 2011 G37 IPL. My friends complain my exhaust is not beefy enough, so I must cater to their needs My 04' G35 sounded better stock IMHO than the 11' G37.
Feedback and opinions welcome.
I say you toss a HFC on the car and leave the rest stock.
Popo (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:16 PM
jcbone
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a G37S coupe 6MT and I just went from a Topspeed resonated axleback to the Fast Intentions nonresonated Catback exhaust and I'm loving every second of it.
I wanted a louder exhaust than just the axleback, and also the performance gains from a full catback and I'm happy I went with Fast Intentions. They recommended the nonresonated version of their exhaust because I was just going to stick with my stock cats. If you plan on going with HFC as well then I would probably recommend the 12 or 18 version. As of now I don't think I would want my exhaust any louder or quieter, it's like the perfect amount of growl and tone. Hope that helps some!
Popo (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Popo

Originally Posted by jcbone
I have a G37S coupe 6MT and I just went from a Topspeed resonated axleback to the Fast Intentions nonresonated Catback exhaust and I'm loving every second of it.
I wanted a louder exhaust than just the axleback, and also the performance gains from a full catback and I'm happy I went with Fast Intentions. They recommended the nonresonated version of their exhaust because I was just going to stick with my stock cats. If you plan on going with HFC as well then I would probably recommend the 12 or 18 version. As of now I don't think I would want my exhaust any louder or quieter, it's like the perfect amount of growl and tone. Hope that helps some!
I think I need to give FI a call and chat them up. Right now with everyone's input so, I am looking at going with the resonated test pipes + 12" resonated cat back.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 PM
jcbone
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think I need to give FI a call and chat them up. Right now with everyone's input so, I am looking at going with the resonated test pipes + 12" resonated cat back.
yup, just give them a call directly, Tony and the rest of the crew there are very helpful. Let them know exactly what type of sound you are looking for and they will guide you in the right direction. Great company to work with! I'm happy I did and went with them for my exhaust, 3 months in and it's a smile every time I drive my G! The sound coming from their exhaust is freakin exhilarating!
Popo (11-05-2019)