G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

$4650.... What did I get myself into? (Long read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 PM
Black Coupe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$4650.... What did I get myself into? (Long read)

Hey y’all first post on here. I’ve been reading different posts on here, learning about the g37 for a while now. I always wanted a g35 (only because they were in my price range) but I’ve been somewhat loyal to Subaru after owning a 02 Impreza OBS for years. After looking on offer up and Craigslist for around 4 months I was closing in on a g35 sedan.

Then there she was.... a 08 Black g37 with luxury package, tinted windows, new rims, no emblems, 154k auto trans (I drive in traffic everyday) for $5900. Price was due to salvage title from a accident where someone backed into the passenger fender. Fender damage doesn’t appear bad at all but totaled title still. Also no plates due to the owner transferring them to their other vehicle. After talking with the owner for a while he said he’s the 3rd owner and got it from the 2nd owner (his uncle). His uncle owned it for 3 years and the current owner for 6 months. He works construction and needs a truck and the g37 his uncle gave him serves little purpose for him. After talking him down on the price I decided to meet up.

We met up and I instantly fell in love with the car as it pulled up. I did my best now to show it and checked it out, drove it for a bit. Shifted very smoothly and felt no lags in power. Didn’t experience any squeaky breaks. So now we get to the issues. Has 3 codes all for the evap system (small leaks, gross leaks) autozone says one part will fix all 3 codes idk about that though. Has condensation in the driver side rear taillight. Needs new hydraulics for the hood lift.

I talked him all the way down to $4650 and bought it. After I bought it I was wondering what it would take to get it all fixed up and registered with tags and plates in my name. Also heard rattling from where the exhaust system would be and got a bit louder after a 40 min drive home. The title is under a insurance company that dealt with the accident and sold it to the guys uncle. I have the reassignment paper that shows the transfer from the company to his uncle, to him, to me. Will dmv give me issues with this? Also, what am I getting into to here? All help is appreciated. I’m glad to be part of the g family no matter what.

P.S. Codes are P0441, P0455, P0456

The following users liked this post:
MurkYouAII (10-22-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:40 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You can google the engine codes to see what they mean.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I can't speak for the DMV- they are infamously notorious for being a pain in the *** for everyone.

The codes, however, are indeed all related to the EVAP (emissions) system. More than likely the vent valve needs to be replaced and some vacuum hoses checked/replaced. Code 0455 (gross leak) also references a loose/faulty gas cap.

The hood dampers/struts are a quick 10min. fix.
All of these should be relatively minor fixes.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-09-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
OP, you'll need to refer to your state's dmv/sos office to determine how/what the process is for titling & registering a salvaged vehicle. Of course insurance should also be a consideration. You may only be able to get liability coverage given the vehicle's status.

Sounds like this was an impulse buy without researching any/all of the above. Been there done that. A certain motorcycle (albeit new) was purchased on a impulse. Only went in with the intention of looking, left with a shiny new 2 wheeler
Old 07-09-2019, 12:15 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Car looks painted. Possible rear accident which would explain taillight and evap codes. Evap box is probably cracked.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:31 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Car looks painted. Possible rear accident which would explain taillight and evap codes. Evap box is probably cracked.
This crap happened to me. Got rear ended very low speed, just enough to crack the paint and bumper clips .
Adjuster came out, "aww nothing but a few clips and a respray". Paid me out for that. 2 months later, it starts throwing evap codes. Insurance company ghosted me.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Black Coupe

Originally Posted by Jsolo
OP, you'll need to refer to your state's dmv/sos office to determine how/what the process is for titling & registering a salvaged vehicle. Of course insurance should also be a consideration. You may only be able to get liability coverage given the vehicle's status.

Sounds like this was an impulse buy without researching any/all of the above. Been there done that. A certain motorcycle (albeit new) was purchased on a impulse. Only went in with the intention of looking, left with a shiny new 2 wheeler
Yeah definitely an impulse buy which I never usually do. Just thought it had potential and this would be one of my only ways to get this car. Called my insurance told them it was salvaged and the passenger door was replaced. Fender has some damage but they said it shouldn’t matter. They would still provide full coverage.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Black Coupe

Could be but if so it didn’t appear to be to me. But who knows. Taillight just appears to be letting some moisture in. My 02 Subaru has this too and thats with no accident, just happened over time.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Black Coupe

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I can't speak for the DMV- they are infamously notorious for being a pain in the *** for everyone.

The codes, however, are indeed all related to the EVAP (emissions) system. More than likely the vent valve needs to be replaced and some vacuum hoses checked/replaced. Code 0455 (gross leak) also references a loose/faulty gas cap.

The hood dampers/struts are a quick 10min. fix.
All of these should be relatively minor fixes.
when I take this car in to fix the evap codes should I take it to an Infiniti dealership? Or a third party shop that specializes on Japanese models?
Old 07-09-2019, 03:45 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

If you are not mechanically inclined, or do not have the time to diagnose/repair yourself, I would take it to a reputable, trusted mechanic who knows what they are doing. I would not take it to a dealer as they will overcharge you for every little detail and try to find a million-and-one other things that need attention.

Replacing the valve (and gas cap) is very easy and inexpensive. Same for the EVAP canister if it needs replacement. Hoses are simple to check/replace. Again, depends on your skill set and time.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Black Coupe

If you are not mechanically inclined, or do not have the time to diagnose/repair yourself, I would take it to a reputable, trusted mechanic who knows what they are doing. I would not take it to a dealer as they will overcharge you for every little detail and try to find a million-and-one other things that need attention.

Replacing the valve (and gas cap) is very easy and inexpensive. Same for the EVAP canister if it needs replacement. Hoses are simple to check/replace. Again, depends on your skill set and time.
Is there a single trusted source that I can research and learn myself? Or is watching many different videos of others doing it on YouTube the easiest/fastest way to learn? I’ve done simple things on cars before (changing breaks, re-sealing taillight, replacing turn signals/bulbs, oil change etc.)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

There is no better resource than the Factory Service Manual (FSM):

2008 Coupe FSM

In this case you will section EC (Engine Control) for those EVAP codes. If I were you I would download the whole thing- in case those links go bad again.
The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (08-17-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 PM
Black Coupe

There is no better resource than the Factory Service Manual (FSM):

2008 Coupe FSM

In this case you will section EC (Engine Control) for those EVAP codes. If I were you I would download the whole thing- in case those links go bad again.
Thank you I’ll check those out. I’m going to see what I can do with it on my weekend. I’ll. In the meantime I’m going to find a reputable mechanic. I’ve been going to K&M auto in Portland, OR. They have done well with my Subaru but I’m not sure what their experiences with Infiniti’s are like.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
All of those codes look like a cracked evap canister, get under the car and visually inspect it.

You can see if it's been painter/repaired/etc.

Not to sound like a debbie downer but look at this:

Paint is fenominally clean for it to be original
Trunk has been debaged, common for shops that remove the emblems and forget to mark where they're supposed to go so they just eliminate for a cleaner look
Leaking tail (possible weather strip from removing and breaking it/cracked tail/ bent body so the tail doesnt fully seal.
Multiple Evap codes.

You have to understand coupes dont have too much impact area in the rear so a rear end crash will do more damage on a coupe than a sedan.

Get a flashlight, take some pics then comment with progress here.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Black Coupe

All of those codes look like a cracked evap canister, get under the car and visually inspect it.

You can see if it's been painter/repaired/etc.

Not to sound like a debbie downer but look at this:

Paint is fenominally clean for it to be original
Trunk has been debaged, common for shops that remove the emblems and forget to mark where they're supposed to go so they just eliminate for a cleaner look
Leaking tail (possible weather strip from removing and breaking it/cracked tail/ bent body so the tail doesnt fully seal.
Multiple Evap codes.

You have to understand coupes dont have too much impact area in the rear so a rear end crash will do more damage on a coupe than a sedan.

Get a flashlight, take some pics then comment with progress here.
Alright I’ll have to check it out and will post pics when I can. I know it’s hard to determine now but do you think I way overpaid? I just want to make it into a DD.

Quick Reply: $4650.... What did I get myself into? (Long read)