Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2008 Infiniti G37 Oil plug fell out

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:08 AM
Insomnia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Infiniti G37 Oil plug fell out

Hello, I hope somebody can help me. 3 days ago I had my oil changed at a dealership. Tonight on my way home my car started to fill with white smoke and I started to freak out and I was only about 2 miles from my house. I drove home and parked the car. I got out and oil was running out of my car onto the ground. I jacked up the car and found the oil plug was missing and oil was all over the bottom of my car. I am unsure of any lights coming on in my dash for oil or any other issues. I was just worried about the car and making it home.

I am worried about Engine damage and future damages from this down the road. If the engine has suffered damage with the only question being the degree of damage. It only takes a couple of seconds for crank bearing overlay to be wiped off due to lack of oil and once that happens they’re on borrowed time. The only way of knowing is by dropping the oil pan, removing a few bearing caps furthest from the oil pump, and examining them visually.

I also know you can have an oil pressure test done but those wont show crank damage that will happen with time..

I am just unsure what to do next. I would like some guarantee that they will fix any damages and future damages of this caused it. Anybody have any tips or advice? I am new to this site but I am hope somebody can help me.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 AM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Sounds like the dealership owes you an engine and a loaner car until it’s done. Sorry for your troubles, this is what happens when dealerships hire “mechanics” with no experience in the automotive arena
The following users liked this post:
Insomnia (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't happen again but if it does STOP DRIVING and call the dealership immediately! I hope you called them already and explained the situation. You don't want to give them any reason to claim it's not their fault cause you didn't let them know right away. GL!
Insomnia (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sorry it was under this circumstance.

The dealer that did the work is liable for any and all damage. In the future, IMMEDIATELY pull over (safely) and shut off the engine. The engine was most likely unhurt when you first noticed smoke, however, driving those last couple of miles probably killed it DED.
Insomnia (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Insomnia
Hello, I hope somebody can help me. 3 days ago I had my oil changed at a dealership. Tonight on my way home my car started to fill with white smoke and I started to freak out and I was only about 2 miles from my house. I drove home and parked the car. I got out and oil was running out of my car onto the ground. I jacked up the car and found the oil plug was missing and oil was all over the bottom of my car. I am unsure of any lights coming on in my dash for oil or any other issues. I was just worried about the car and making it home.

I am worried about Engine damage and future damages from this down the road. If the engine has suffered damage with the only question being the degree of damage. It only takes a couple of seconds for crank bearing overlay to be wiped off due to lack of oil and once that happens they’re on borrowed time. The only way of knowing is by dropping the oil pan, removing a few bearing caps furthest from the oil pump, and examining them visually.

I also know you can have an oil pressure test done but those wont show crank damage that will happen with time..

I am just unsure what to do next. I would like some guarantee that they will fix any damages and future damages of this caused it. Anybody have any tips or advice? I am new to this site but I am hope somebody can help me.
Have the vehicle towed back to the dealer immediately. Call and make an appointment to speak with the service manager and find out the name of the tech that was working on your vehicle
Notify your credit card company to request a charge back for poor workmanship immediately

Telcoman

Insomnia (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:21 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Take lots of pics too. Even better if you can find a trail of oil leading back to them.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:30 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
wow if the op is being 100% percent honest, that is pretty damn bad job from the dealer lol

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Two thoughts: OP doesn't mention how many miles his G37 had on it. That'll be a factor when it comes down to determining how much wear was a factor in this case. Also, driving once the oil light came on (and smoke started) is a definite no-go. That will also have to be considered as part of the OP's responsibility, even though the oil plug wasn't properly torqued down.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

^u mean when he said the oil was changed 3 days ago?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sucks to hear that OP, that's why they'll have to pull the socket wrench out of my cold dead hand, as long as I can manage to get under a car I'll never let anyone else change my oil.

Good luck, hopefully enough oil was still in the motor at shut down to keep it from harm.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:31 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I used to work at Jiffy Lube many years ago, then I was an ASE tech at big car dealerships.

This happens from time-to-time. Even Jiffy Lube would pay for a replacement engine with little hassle.

However:
-if oil was still draining out when you got under the car after you stopped driving it, it likely had enough oil in it to prevent damage. Still, it was wrong to keep driving it.
-many cars have a low spot in the pan where the oil pickup is, and that never empties of oil. We had customers drive for 3k miles on just the oil in that sump.

Nevertheless, it is impossible to gauge the damage done or not done. Out of customer service they owe you a replacement engine. Try to persuade them to put a 2012+ engine into your 2008.

BTW, it's Infiniti with an "I", not a y
chinabean (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

I'm not sure if saying u worked at jiffy lube or that ur a mech at the dealership gives u more or less credibility on a forum considering the excessive bad rep they get there lol. And no, it's a simple enough job that it should not be happening from time to time lol are u kidding me esp if ur supposed to be trained and do it all day
Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Insomnia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses everybody. I've been going back and forth with the dealership. I finally got them to come pick up the car and take it back to the dealership to get checked out. All they wanted to do is send a tech out to my house with a new plug and put oil into my car. I told them no, I want the car fully checked over and I'm worried about damage to the motor even if it's minimal. The car was in perfect condition, no oil burning, no smoke or anything when they did the change and now I'm unsure.

Somebody earlier asked and the car has 118k miles on it currently.

I have been trying to get some type of power train warranty on the car to cover it for future issues but they keep backing off and wanting me to purchase it instead. I don't think that's right in my opinion. They want me to come in on Monday to have a meeting with the service manager, owner and a finance lady and talk this out. I'm unsure how to go about this.

I would feel so much better with a new engine done by somebody from Infinity, no from a Ford dealership that knows nothing about Infinity.

Anybody got any advice for me on Monday?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:31 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
I'm not sure if saying u worked at jiffy lube or that ur a mech at the dealership gives u more or less credibility on a forum considering the excessive bad rep they get there lol. And no, it's a simple enough job that it should not be happening from time to time lol are u kidding me esp if ur supposed to be trained and do it all day
Having a bad day saywat?
You have a problem with the experiences I shared?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:31 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

If u want to scare them take a lawyer with u lol . That will cut the bs back n forth talk by two thirds lol

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti G37 Oil plug fell out