Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch - gets stuck sometimes on '11 g37s coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 PM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch - gets stuck sometimes on '11 g37s coupe

hi everyone,

I just picked up my g37s coupe early this month and have noticed inconsistencies with the clutch pedal.

Initially, at lower speeds, I wouldn't feel/notice anything. However, when I would shift at a higher speed (either from 5 to 6, or 6 to 5 to 4) I started noticing that the clutch would be very loose near the top and I'd feel it 'engage' at a lower level, closer to the floor. I didn't think anything of it at first cause it would go back to normal after driving around at lower speeds for a few minutes.

However, now I'm noticing that the clutch is always 'loose' near the top and would 'engage' closer to the floor....and has even gotten 'stuck' near the engagement point, when I'd release the pedal. I literally had to use my toe to flick the pedal back up to its assumed position as I was driving.

I bought a spring from the jsolo spring, but hasn't arrived yet. I'm wondering if that will fix my problem?

Do you have any other ideas or solutions as to what could be causing this? It's not normal.... I used to drive a 98 Prelude back in the day...had it for 8 years and when I had this issue the one time, I learned that it was the lack of brake fluid in the slave cylinder.

I checked the slave cylinder on my G37 and there is fluid in there...but it's 'dark-ish'....darker than the fluid in the brake fluid compartment. Could that be the issue? Perhaps I need to drain the slave cylinder fluid and refresh it?

Any insight from any angle here would help...

Thanks y'all.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Change fluid and upgrade line to ss line
The following users liked this post:
hashtagdopey (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:34 PM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Change fluid and upgrade line to ss line
Thank for that.... can you recommend a specific SS line to use?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I think those symptoms are consistent with clutch slave cylinder (csc) failure
Old 11-17-2017, 06:37 PM
hashtagdopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Sh*t.... Is that normal on these cars?
How much do you figure it would cost to have it replaced?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by hashtagdopey
Sh*t.... Is that normal on these cars?
How much do you figure it would cost to have it replaced?
IDK if it's normal, but it's not uncommon on the MT.

I'm still on the OE CSC, so I can't comment on replacement cost, sorry.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I second this. Its expensive for labor, transmission has to be dropped to get access.....
Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
If your warranty is up,Most guys have gone with the Z speed csc.

Some good info in here.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...placement.html
Old 11-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
It’s is a very common problem with the 6 speeds. The space cylinder I recommended going with a concentric slave instead from zspeed or slave eliminator kit. Have them check the clutch while your at it mine went out at the same time and had to replace it all
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Chartard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solved the same exact problem.

I have a 2008 g37s and ever since I got it I would have the same problem. I would change gears on the highway at speed and my clutch would feel very week after the pickup point at the top. Just the other day it happened again but it got much worse and it got suck all the way down. Fluid was low and dirty, i should have replaced and drained the fluid (Right next to the brake fluid in the engine bay). I had to get my car towed and the master cylinder replaced. It looks like your problem is also the master cylinder which is an easier fix for the transmission doesn't have to be dropped, not the slave cylinder.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Clutch going out will follow with the cement mixer sound of a worn throw out bearing
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Chartard
I have a 2008 g37s and ever since I got it I would have the same problem. I would change gears on the highway at speed and my clutch would feel very week after the pickup point at the top. Just the other day it happened again but it got much worse and it got suck all the way down. Fluid was low and dirty, i should have replaced and drained the fluid (Right next to the brake fluid in the engine bay). I had to get my car towed and the master cylinder replaced. It looks like your problem is also the master cylinder which is an easier fix for the transmission doesn't have to be dropped, not the slave cylinder.
You got lucky. A failing master and failing slave will have the exact same symptoms. His may not be the master.....
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had similar symptoms on my 2008 earlier this year. Was still the oem csc, cmc, and clutch. The pedal finally just sunk to the floor and would not return.

Changed both master and slave and since the transmission was out I ended up doing the clutch eventhough it was far from needing to be done. Did the work myself and got good discount on parts. $2500 cdn. Went with an oem clutch (2k) because I've read all the horror stories of the clutch chatter with aftermarket clutches. Oh and the 2k included a new flywheel.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

The labor is the killer on the bill