Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Lowered G37 Coupe vs in-ground Utility pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:42 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lowered G37 Coupe vs in-ground Utility pipe

Last night I hit a exposed utility pipe while driving through a construction zone. I guess they removed too much asphalt around the pipe?

The car felt like it jumped off the ground and made an agonizing sound for about 10 ft. I got out and looked under the car to see what the problem was and noticed the utility pipe metal cover wedged between my car , the exhaust , and the ground. I backed up and it fell out, but the damage was done.

The Subframe Stay is shattered. Subframe looks like it took a little damage and my mechanic said it doesn't need replaced. The subframe doesn't look like it has shifted, or bent to the point of structural integrity? Do I need to replace the entire subframe? The shattered stay is already on its way.

The exhaust flex pipe is torn, multiple large dents throughout the entire system piping but it is not leaking. Is it possible to fix the large dents ? Does this even effect performance?

I'm about to call the City, but doubt they will shell out any money. Anyone have luck in a situation like this? I want to avoid insurance if possible.

Here are the images, myg37 wouldn't let me upload for some reason:
https://goo.gl/photos/xk4zDXHoAfRBYrTQA

Thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 02:49 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
ive had success placing a claim with the city for damaged wheels..
im assuming this would not be any different..
my insurance suggested I waited for the claim to process before I dealt with them..
the end result may have been positive for me but keep in mind that it took a great deal amount of time for them to process it..
The following users liked this post:
stevo4756 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:54 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
would deal with city

i suggest you have plenty of pictures and diagrams showing how it happened
stevo4756 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:56 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Make sure you take pictures of the scene, if possible. I busted a wheel on a bad pothole one night and when I returned a day or two later take pics they had already fixed it. I complained to the city but they claimed they didn't have enough time to fix it from when they were first told about it to when I called them. Something like they need 24 hrs from when their first notified. Who knows if that's BS or not and it wasn't a construction zone or anything so obviously different circumstances. Was it marked in any way? They should have sprayed some orange paint over it. They might just claim you should have avoided it being in a lowered car if it was. GL!
stevo4756 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Great tip Micafd3s! Thank you!

Neal,
They did not have the pipe marked in any way. It was rusty brown and I would have avoided it had I seen it. I took pictures of the location less than 24 hours later and it looks like they have added a few layers of asphalt since then, but the cap I ripped off with the bottom of my car is still missing. I wish I would have grabbed the cap so I can use it as proof or hold it for ransom. lol

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to update the thread when I get somewhere with this....
Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
No dash cam?
Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
This is why I never entertained the idea of lowering a car.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Splunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
This is why I never entertained the idea of lowering a car.
Lol to avoid the occasional manhole lid attack...

OP file a claim with the city. Had a friend do it over his Lexus wheels. They paid him what the wheels would have cost and he ended up getting a new set of aftermarket wheels/.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

LOL No Dash cam... A selfie dash cam would have been awesome, my face instantly went from pure joy (just got off work) to pure dread!

2008G-Man the coilover setup I have on is basically maxed out too! Air suspension is the only option for ****ty road areas like the city I live in... Or stock...
Old 08-03-2017, 03:56 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Quick update: Since the road was under construction by a contractor the city has directed me to the contractor. They told me to call them back if the contractor doesn't cooperate. Contractor is sending me a claim form.

My big ? is does this type of claim show up on my carfax report? Last thing I want on the title is "subframe damage".

Also, does anyone know if a good exhaust shop can repair the major dents in the piping?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Splunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^all depends on how you are resolving this. If you go through your insurance there is a possibility. If you file a claim with the city and get it fixed then no.

Unless they were doing construction directly on the manhole that the lid came off from the city is responsible. Just because they were doing construction in that area does not void the cities responsibility to ensure safe and drivable roads. I would call them back and fill out a claim form.