Raising car back to Stock Springs, New Shock absorbers needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:58 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Raising car back to Stock Springs, New Shock absorbers needed?

I recently bought a G37x and the previous owner had the car lowered 9 months ago from today. He gave me the stock springs with the car and am now deciding to raise the car back up. The car is at 73k miles and was wondering if I should change out the shock absorbers and if so which do I get? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:04 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
There's not many choices for OEM type shocks, KYB should have them. If the G wasn't dropped for long on those springs you should still have life left on the originals.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
Dan G37 (07-20-2017), dbeachy1 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Awesome thanks! Is there a good way to check if they need to be changed? Just hope raising my car back up will go smoothly. Also after I put the stock springs back on when should I get an alignment done?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Only if there are visible fluid leaks around the shocks. And yes, an alignment would be advised, was there any aftermarket camber kits installed?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Even if it wasnt dropped long, at 70k+ the shocks are probably close to needing replacement anyway. I think 60k is a pretty commonly recommended replacement interval. Of course it depends on usage.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Even if it wasnt dropped long, at 70k+ the shocks are probably close to needing replacement anyway. I think 60k is a pretty commonly recommended replacement interval. Of course it depends on usage.

+1

If you're going through the effort of swapping springs, I'd replace the shocks too. They're at the end of their useful life.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
+1

If you're going through the effort of swapping springs, I'd replace the shocks too. They're at the end of their useful life.

Negative. These shocks should go 100k easily. This is not some cheap @ss civic.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson
What does the type of car have to do with anything?

Shock absorbers are shock absorbers. Do you think the tokico shocks Infiniti specs are magical?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Just put the oem shocks back on after replacing the lowering springs. If the ride is rough and bumpy then swap the shocks out. Otherwise, run then until they give out. Save you some money.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xmajd92
Save you some money.
Depends. If he's DIY'ing it, yeah.

If he's paying a shop it would probably be cheaper in the long run to do new shocks while paying to have the springs swapped. Otherwise you'll essentially pay to have the same thing done twice.
The following users liked this post:
dbeachy1 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If he's paying a shop it would probably be cheaper in the long run to do new shocks while paying to have the springs swapped. Otherwise you'll essentially pay to have the same thing done twice.
You're right I forgot to mention that. Save money on labor and just DIY and gain experience from getting to know your car better. Win-win
Old 07-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

You're right I forgot to mention that. Save money on labor and just DIY and gain experience from getting to know your car better. Win-win

Just put the oem shocks back on after replacing the lowering springs. If the ride is rough and bumpy then swap the shocks out. Otherwise, run then until they give out. Save you some money.
What does the type of car have to do with anything?

Shock absorbers are shock absorbers. Do you think the tokico shocks Infiniti specs are magical?
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson
+1

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
I plan on doing the work myself, I don't have an aftermarket camber kit installed. I'll check the shocks and see if their are any leaks. I looked on rockauto and saw shocks go for 80$, is that for a pair or just one piece? Also I don't see any shock absorbers for the front side of the car only rear. Do I only have to change out the rear? Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

If you were to get new parts, you might want to get new fronts, that's where the bulk of the weight is so they would tend to be under more duress. The fronts would take much longer if you had to do them all over again, you would have to compress & remove the springs and swap them back over to the new ones. On the rear it's just a simple R&R since the springs are separate from the shock.
Crazyirish (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
If you were to get new parts, you might want to get new fronts, that's where the bulk of the weight is so they would tend to be under more duress. The fronts would take much longer if you had to do them all over again, you would have to compress & remove the springs and swap them back over to the new ones. On the rear it's just a simple R&R since the springs are separate from the shock.
I checked rockauto and they don't seem to have front shocks on sale... Do you know any other shops that would carry shock absorbers for the g37? Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it. Also would I need to replace the struts as well if im changing the shock absorbers?

Last edited by Dan G37; 07-20-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Anotther question
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Rockauto has the fronts under the "Strut" subsection. Technically these cars have shocks and not struts. It is fairly common for cars to have struts in front and shocks out back which is why Rockauto is organized this way.
Dan G37 (07-20-2017)