Raising car back to Stock Springs, New Shock absorbers needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
These aren't traditional struts as the have no affect on alignment, coilovers would be more accurate, and the rears are just shocks w/ separate springs.
Monroe makes them for X models, here's the catalog
e-Catalog MONROEŽ SHOCKS & STRUTS
Looks like they only have fronts for the sedan rears are the same for coupe & sedan.
Front left~72572, right 72571, and the rears are~5654
Not sure why the coupe & sedan are different????
This also applies to KYBs, only available for X sedan fronts

These ARE for the AWD coupe front~
OEM Infiniti #s are E6111-1ND5C (left front without sport tuned steering)

E6110-1ND5C (right front w/out sport steering)
And these are about $240 each
OEMS DO have different part #s for front coupe & sedan, so maybe the valving is different and even possibly the length???
The following users liked this post:
Dan G37 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
These aren't traditional struts as the have no affect on alignment, coilovers would be more accurate, and the rears are just shocks w/ separate springs.
Monroe makes them for X models, here's the catalog
e-Catalog MONROEŽ SHOCKS & STRUTS
Looks like they only have fronts for the sedan rears are the same for coupe & sedan.
Front left~72572, right 72571, and the rears are~5654
Not sure why the coupe & sedan are different????
This also applies to KYBs, only available for X sedan fronts

These ARE for the AWD coupe front~
OEM Infiniti #s are E6111-1ND5C (left front without sport tuned steering)

E6110-1ND5C (right front w/out sport steering)
And these are about $240 each
OEMS DO have different part #s for front coupe & sedan, so maybe the valving is different and even possibly the length???
Thats exactly what I saw! No shocks and struts for the X model coupe. Why is it like that?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Dan G37
Thats exactly what I saw! No shocks and struts for the X model coupe. Why is it like that?
That would be the million dollar question, especially since they are available for the X model sedan
Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

That would be the million dollar question, especially since they are available for the X model sedan
And like you said the X coupe version for the front shock/struts are $240 each!! Which is ridic lol. Would it be pointless to just change the rear ones and not the front? Or just drive on the ones I currently have until they go bad?

Last edited by Dan G37; 07-20-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: questions
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 PM
spock
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not nearly as many awd coupes out there as sedans, therefore no aftermarket available. Same goes for the M35x. I had to go oem for the fronts on our M and kyb on the rears. Fronts were like $265 a piece and the kyb's were $80 on sale. That was a couple of years ago when the Canadian dollar was closer to the US dollar. Probably more now.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

At $240 per that would bring Konis into the mix, might be worth it to call them up and see what it costs to fit them for the X, I believe there are a couple that have done this.

Otherwise, just running what you've got would seem to be the best plan at this point until you can find a better option for the front set.

Still curious what real difference there is w/ Sedan vs. Coupe in the front, I know aftermarket springs will physically fit both setups. Tanabe for example uses the same spring # for all the G's except the convertible. It's possible the AWD coupe has a different lower mount than the AWD sedan, otherwise they should be very close.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

At $240 per that would bring Konis into the mix, might be worth it to call them up and see what it costs to fit them for the X, I believe there are a couple that have done this.

Otherwise, just running what you've got would seem to be the best plan at this point until you can find a better option for the front set.

Still curious what real difference there is w/ Sedan vs. Coupe in the front, I know aftermarket springs will physically fit both setups. Tanabe for example uses the same spring # for all the G's except the convertible. It's possible the AWD coupe has a different lower mount than the AWD sedan, otherwise they should be very close.
Same, i'm still curious about the difference on Sedan vs Coupe. I don't see why they would be different for the fronts. If you find anything id love to know! Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

At this point, unless you're lucky enough to find a dealer that has both front shocks (AWD coupe & AWD sedan) on hand it would be hard to compare the two Or take your current shock to the dealer when you get it out and compare it to the sedan one if they just happen to have one in stock.

This is a wear item, so maybe the service dept. has a tech that might know what the difference is???