Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37S 6MT Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 AM
myblackg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S 6MT Questions

I have been having a few problems with driving my G37 since the purchase, this isn't my learning to drive manual transmission car, but i have noticed that the clutch is pretty tricky to learn. Basically one of my questions is 1) how do you guys adjust your seating position correctly to drive ? I find that my position hass A LOT to do with how i drive, but i can't seem to find the perfect position. Also when shifting from 1-2, any tips to have a smoother shift ? Thanks !
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Hey myblackg37 - welcome to the site

I find seat positioning critical when driving a MT. Having the seat too far will cause me shifting issues specially from 1-2

In case you have not seen this...a couple of options for the pedal:
Clutch Pedal Assist Spring for 6MT

RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly

g/l

Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM
myblackg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gio37
Hey myblackg37 - welcome to the site

I find seat positioning critical when driving a MT. Having the seat too far will cause me shifting issues specially from 1-2

In case you have not seen this...a couple of options for the pedal:
Clutch Pedal Assist Spring for 6MT

RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly

g/l

Thanks ! And hmmm how does the clutch assist spring feel ? I sorta like the stiffness of the stock clutch. I drove my brothers genesis before and my other brothers camaro and the pedals were softer to the point that it honestly made it hard for me to find the engagement point. It's just the 1-2 is tough in the G.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When I adjust my seat, I make sure that I can fully depress the clutch while still having a slight bend in my knee. Shifting from 1-2 smoothly is something that you will get better at over time in my experience. I typically let the clutch out to the biting point before fully release the clutch to make it smoother.

I actually like the clutch in this car. It seems that many people do not like it. Maybe it's because I learned on this car so I got used to it.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Invest in the RJM pedal kit.
The Rpm's take some time to drop so you have to wait for it for it to engage smoothly.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM
HRnico

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slateblue is on to it. Shift slower, let rpms drop first. As the last of the engagement occurs, be more agressive of the throttle and then dump the last of the clutch. I've been driving manuals for fourty years. I think the electric throttle pedel is what makes it challenging. There is a bit of a delay in it. Have to press it agressively
Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I try to position my seat closer to the wheel so that when the clutch pedal hits the floor/firewall, my leg isn't completely extended. You have much more control over your leg when lifting off because your knee is closer to a 90 degree angle than if you tried overextending your reach at the bottom.

I find that there's 3 ways of shifting smoother from 1 to 2:
1. Short shifting at 1.5k-2k
2. Shifting above 3k
3. On harder launches, drop the pedal to the bite point right after shifting, keep it there until you catch (this will inevitably cause much more wear)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:33 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you master the engagement point, pushing the clutch pedal down half way right at the cusp will make it shift like butter.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Someone on here sells a spring that helps with engagement. My car had the spring on it when I purchased it. It does work. Seems like SOLO? Can't remember the name.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
OP, I have the spring I purchased from Jsolo, I no longer use it because I have the RJM pedal kit installed.
If you pm me your address I'll send it to you at no cost.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:32 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Jsolo helper spring was a great mod. You say you like the clutch stiffness, but that is what makes the engagement between 1-2 so bad.

We all know the engagement point is very small, that powerful OEM spring does not allow you to control as good as a softer spring. I would highly suggest giving that a try because it is a cheap fix.

I am 6'4", and have to move the seat up maybe 2 inches to properly engage the clutch. As previously stated, the clutch should be to the floor, and a bent knee will help with that.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by supreme
Jsolo helper spring was a great mod.
I'll second that opinion. It's a relatively easy DIY, costs virtually nothing, and will have a very positive impact on the drive-ability of this car. I had jsolo's spring for 3 years before finally swapping in the RJM clutch pedal assembly, and while the RJM is worth every penny, the spring is a fine little mod.

OP, Gio37 is offering you his old spring for free. Jump on that.

Not sure where mine is. Probably on the OEM assembly, in the attic somewhere.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Another one vouching for rjm. My only complaint, stop making so many damn revisions! My V3 now feels obsolete, what with the v4 that doesn't require adjusting the clutch switches, when you adjust the pedal.

But seriously a great product.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:13 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Another one vouching for rjm. My only complaint, stop making so many damn revisions! My V3 now feels obsolete, what with the v4 that doesn't require adjusting the clutch switches, when you adjust the pedal.

But seriously a great product.

Wait...there's a version 4? I thought the latest was Rev 3.1.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:34 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Just drive the car more. It gets so much easier to shift once you are in tune with the car. I did not buy a new pedal or anything...I just kept driving. One thing that helped was low speed driving. Taking off and driving in parking lots and what not at like 2-5mph. It helped me learn the stall threshold of the car without being in traffic (in case I stalled out). But you can feel how the clutch bites and where so when you are out driving for real, its not a mystery and its not weird.