Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Weird Drooning Noise (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Exclamation Weird Drooning Noise (Video)

Guy I've been having this problem for a couple months now and the dealership has been unable to replicate what I've been hearing. Basically driving around for a while and the car is warm, I tend to hear a drooning background noise besides the engine. I know I have a manual and etc but this noise is like a whiny/drooning sound on top of the normal engine sound, even when I rev it lightly, you can hear that drooning/whiny sound almost as if my engine has astma and is wheezing lol. Its also a lot noticeable say if I'm backing in to a parking spot and applying a lot of steering input such as turning the wheel left and right. Even parked and turning the steering wheel (as the video below shows) you can hear that sound. The dealership cant figure it out, I'm starting to sound like an idiot complaining about it to them and they not finding anything and deflecting to the fact that I have a manual and it makes more noise than an auto. Let me know what you guys can decipher from the video below, a good set of speakers or headphones may help better with hearing the sound.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:25 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Is there any power steering fluid leakage or sweating? Has the power steering fluid level remained the same? If there is loss of fluid, you may also want to check the power steering pressure switch which has an O ring. If there is no loss of fluid it is also be possible that you have a defective power steering pump or bad rack in the worst case scenario.

UCLAg37
Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by UCLAG37
Is there any power steering fluid leakage or sweating? Has the power steering fluid level remained the same? If there is loss of fluid, you may also want to check the power steering pressure switch which has an O ring. If there is no loss of fluid it is also be possible that you have a defective power steering pump or bad rack in the worst case scenario.

UCLAg37
dealership said everything looked fine power steering wise and fluid as well. There's no leaking or anything like that. Its truly bizarre, where is the power steering pressure switch? Perhaps the dealership isn't being as thorough.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
I can say that's exactly what mine sounded like before my PS pump died last year.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:12 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I can say that's exactly what mine sounded like before my PS pump died last year.
It sucks because I know what will inevitably happen but until it does the dealership wont do jack.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Maybe I should try a different dealership.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Maybe I should try a different dealership.
Wouldn't hurt. I went from a noise like that to a fully failed pump with no power steering in less than a week waiting to get into the dealer at a time that worked for me.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:51 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

dealership said everything looked fine power steering wise and fluid as well. There's no leaking or anything like that. Its truly bizarre, where is the power steering pressure switch? Perhaps the dealership isn't being as thorough.
I couldn't find an enlarged diagram of the switch ("pressure sensor") for the G37 but here is a diagram of the switch from the G35 imbedded in the thread below. It should be similarly located. Like I stated earlier, if you have no fluid leakage, then the next step in the diagnosis analysis is the power steering pump.

2005 G35 Coupe Steering Problem - G35Driver

UCLAg37
Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Dealer said its "completely normal" and that I have 6 months left on my lease so I should just let it be...nice job dealership..
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Dealer said its "completely normal" and that I have 6 months left on my lease so I should just let it be...nice job dealership..
I don't know how the dealer can say this is normal when they could have gone to any car sitting in the dealership lot and none will make this noise. I interpret it to mean that it is "completely normal" for them to treat customers cars this way with 6 months left on the lease.

UCLAg37
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

I don't know how the dealer can say this is normal when they could have gone to any car sitting in the dealership lot and none will make this noise. I interpret it to mean that it is "completely normal" for them to treat customers cars this way with 6 months left on the lease.

UCLAg37
I was very specific after hearing that **** poor response that if this thing fails in 4k miles when I hit 50k miles and run out of warranty, I am NOT paying diddly. I will try another dealership.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:05 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
There was/is a tsb for older g37's that involves replacing the power steering reservoir with an updated model (different baffles or hose internal diameter?). Mine used to make a similar noise until they replaced it. You'd think this would be taken care on a '14, maybe not.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

I was very specific after hearing that **** poor response that if this thing fails in 4k miles when I hit 50k miles and run out of warranty, I am NOT paying diddly. I will try another dealership.
Keep a copy of the service/repair order(s) and keep records of your having reported the problem. Record dates and take names (always a good practice) of the people you spoke with at the dealership and notate everything in the notes on your phone. You'll have a better argument to make especially if the power steering pump fails shortly after the warranty expires.

UCLAg37
Old 12-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Keep a copy of the service/repair order(s) and keep records of your having reported the problem. Record dates and take names (always a good practice) of the people you spoke with at the dealership and notate everything in the notes on your phone. You'll have a better argument to make especially if the power steering pump fails shortly after the warranty expires.

UCLAg37
Oh yes, I def keep a file for every new car I lease with all the service records and even for all these issues with the steering pump, I've had them print me all the notes just so I maintain a record. Like I said before, I'll def be trying another dealership and if that fails then I'm all out of idea's and will likely pray I make to the end of the lease and more importantly through the winter here in New England.