Looking to get a G37 6mt......need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:48 AM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get a G37 6mt......need some advice

Hi all,

I am looking for a used G37 6mt and just wanted to get some opinions on what I should look for (such as issues, specific year changes, etc). I have seen many 2008 faded steering wheels. Is that only 2008 model? Also, I think the 2010 or higher model has better Nav screen? The 2013+ has the front spoiler etc?

I am currently a 2005 G35x owner and have always been a big fan of the G35 coupe and G37. Any help would be appreciated.

My requirement is 6mt / roof. I see the base model with the 5 spoke rims. Not sure if the base model comes with manual transmission but I prefer the "Sport" model with the bigger rims.

Thanks all!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Kcphiliyah

Get the Sport Model. Better wheels, bumper, suspension, Brakes, etc. Ive never heard of the faded steering wheel issue, might be cuz thats the oldest g37 year. You will love the upgrade from the g35 to g37. Handling is amazing in the coupe, its a very fun car. I would look for 2011+, just because Infiniti had a few years to clean out all the little kinks in the 08-10. I have an 08 with 0 issues, but newer the better.

Last edited by Kcphiliyah; 10-11-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:56 AM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kcphiliyah
Get the Sport Model. Better wheels, bumper, suspension, Brakes, etc. Ive never heard of the faded steering wheel issue, might be cuz thats the oldest g37 year. You will love the upgrade from the g35 to g37. Handling is amazing in the coupe, its a very fun car. I would look for 2011+, just because Infiniti had a few years to clean out all the little kinks in the 08-10. I have an 08 with 0 issues, but newer the better.
Thanks for the feedback. It's so hard to find a 6mt. There are tons of automatic. See below for the steering wheel issue.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM
mikeee2
Registered Member

What are the kinks of the 08 - 10?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Kcphiliyah

The only thing i can think of is that a couple people here complained about the leaking timing cover gasket because they had paper material instead of metal. I have an 08 with 90k miles and there is no issues at all. There honestly isnt really any big issue with these motors. They have always been on the"Wards top 10 Engine's" for a reason. Very reliable and tuned almost to the peak out of the factory. Now that you mention it, i have seen a couple steering wheels like that when i went hunting for my g37. Had to travel 3hrs to find a manual one. They are a lot harder to find, but definitely worth it. Any year would be good, theres not much changes in 08-14 G37's besides little interior and exterior differences. Still very good cars.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:47 AM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kcphiliyah
The only thing i can think of is that a couple people here complained about the leaking timing cover gasket because they had paper material instead of metal. I have an 08 with 90k miles and there is no issues at all. There honestly isnt really any big issue with these motors. They have always been on the"Wards top 10 Engine's" for a reason. Very reliable and tuned almost to the peak out of the factory. Now that you mention it, i have seen a couple steering wheels like that when i went hunting for my g37. Had to travel 3hrs to find a manual one. They are a lot harder to find, but definitely worth it. Any year would be good, theres not much changes in 08-14 G37's besides little interior and exterior differences. Still very good cars.
For the G35 it has the oil pooling in spark plugs issue (not sure if it's similar).
Old 10-11-2016, 12:09 PM
TwistedIllusion
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I just bought a 10 g37s. I went with a 10 only because I found a good deal on it. I would have bought an 08-13 if I would have found a good deal. On a manual, unfortunately you can't be quite as picky, like you said, not near as many to choose from. The hd nav is a pretty big difference and the trim is, in my opinion, nicer on the 10's and up. Good luck on your search.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:50 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Thanks for the feedback. It's so hard to find a 6mt. There are tons of automatic. See below for the steering wheel issue.

^ the chipping steering wheel bezel trim in inherent to '08-'09 models. very common. later models got a revised bezel part that does not chip. it is no big deal and you can replace the bezel with the revised part. i had mine done by the dealer. bought the parts online for ~$50 and paid them $98 to install. i wimped out and didn't do it myself to avoid any airbag interference.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:33 PM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Good to know that there's a fixed for the "scratchy / faded" 08-09 wheel. Yeah, I noticed the screen seems to have higher resolution on the 10+.

My G35's paint is quite weak and thin. I am assuming the same goes for G37?

Also, what MPG are you guys getting. My G35 I get about 16. It's a joke. I am assuming the G37 6mt won't do much better maybe 18 to 20?
Old 10-11-2016, 04:37 PM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Aside from a used G37 manual I am also looking for other options such as

1) new Mazda 3 hatch.....I know it's different class but it's got all I need except it's the wrong wheel drive

2) lease a bmw 228i

3) used wrx / brz but I crossed it out because it's too rice

4) tsx / ilx

5) hyundai genesis but horrible front
Old 10-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
My '11 Steering wheel trim is good, but the brushed aluminum trim on the doors and dash is peeling in multiple places.

I average 21.8mpg. Mostly highway miles, but I step on it semi often.

Your other option:
1 - Great cars, but yeah, no way to really even compare it to the G.
2 - Lease is the only way I would own a bimmer. Get the bigger motor.
3 - Only rice if you make it that way. FR-S/BRZ is one of the best handling cars "out of the box" I have ever driven. Just ditch the stock tires ASAP. They blow.
4 - Similar to a G but a lot slower. And not that much better on gas. Acura has great interiors though.
5 - And horrible interiors. That v8 though....
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
My '11 Steering wheel trim is good, but the brushed aluminum trim on the doors and dash is peeling in multiple places.

I average 21.8mpg. Mostly highway miles, but I step on it semi often.

Your other option:
1 - Great cars, but yeah, no way to really even compare it to the G.
2 - Lease is the only way I would own a bimmer. Get the bigger motor.
3 - Only rice if you make it that way. FR-S/BRZ is one of the best handling cars "out of the box" I have ever driven. Just ditch the stock tires ASAP. They blow.
4 - Similar to a G but a lot slower. And not that much better on gas. Acura has great interiors though.
5 - And horrible interiors. That v8 though....
I have always been a bimmer fan. However their cars are so expensive even used. Also, I wouldn't want to own one after warranty expires. Not sure what other choices I have. Basically my requirements are manual transmission, fun to drive, sunroof is a must, 4 seats, reliable car, and rwd or awd perferred. Used G37 still on the top on my list followed by a new Mazda 3 hatch.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 PM
TwistedIllusion
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My G35's paint is quite weak and thin. I am assuming the same goes for G37?
I looked at multiple g37's. The paint is about the same quality as the 35. I had an 07 g35s with 140k and I had the spoiler repainted as well as the 2 plastic pieces above the side windows. If properly taken care of the rest of the paint is fine for a long time.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Used G37 still on the top on my list followed by a new Mazda 3 hatch.

I'm thinking about replacing my 2000 Accord with a Mazda3 hatch. It's a neat little car, good gas mileage, and fun to drive. The wife want's an automatic and there's no way I'm buying a Honda with a CVT.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 PM
mikeee2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Glenn2008
I'm thinking about replacing my 2000 Accord with a Mazda3 hatch. It's a neat little car, good gas mileage, and fun to drive. The wife want's an automatic and there's no way I'm buying a Honda with a CVT.
mazda shifters are so smooth it would kinda suck to get an automatic...

Quick Reply: Looking to get a G37 6mt......need some advice