Body Interior Exterior Lighting

The Infamous Water Leak After Storm on Driver Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Infamous Water Leak After Storm on Driver Side

Hello everyone. Here to make a post that there are plenty of. Trust me, I've used the search and read a lot. Still a bit puzzled however. I know a lot of members have had the issue of finding water inside their interior after it had rained. I've owned the car for about 6 months and this morning was the first time I experienced this problem. It was on the driver side only. Puddle on top of Weathertech mats and under as well. Tried to dry it up as well as I could. After I noticed the water, I checked my 4 sunroof drains. All 4 seem to be draining water correctly. May still be the issue because I didn't use a lot of water, just enough to see if water was coming out.
So I guess my next guess is the grommet near the firewall? However, if read a lot about checking the A pillar, removing headliners and such, but I'm not an expert by any means. Also couldn't find a way to actually find the firewall. Read about applying sealant, but not sure how to go throughout the process. Only thing I saw was about tearing the dash out, but no instructions how.

Bottom line is, I definitely don't want to waste my time at the dealership. I know I'll end up dumping money into a "fix" which turns out to being not the solution. Detailed help would definitely be appreciative.

Just as a recap: it's only driver side after rain. Previous storm a week before didn't cause this problem. Clog could of just formed, not sure. Pretty sure the dead pedal was wet too. Back seat floors and passenger side are dry.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
In for any updates. Heavy rain here in NorCal. Found water stain interior, passenger side along headliner going to the rear on the C-pillar.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 AM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
This is such a bad problem for a $60,000 + vehicle....Infiniti should offer a design fix and issue a recall.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bravo at
In for any updates. Heavy rain here in NorCal. Found water stain interior, passenger side along headliner going to the rear on the C-pillar.
Ironically, I'm taking it in tomorrow. If they find the solution, minimum I'd be spending is around $150 due to diagnostic fee, maximum would probably be around $600. I'll let you know what my particular issue is. Could be so many different things which is why it's a pain in the *** to figure out. More than likely the disconnecting of the tubes or the tube is pinched. Hopefully it isn't the firewall since that'll take longer and be more expensive.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:35 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Originally Posted by steven92
This is such a bad problem for a $60,000 + vehicle....Infiniti should offer a design fix and issue a recall.
Although it seems more prevalent in the G's and Z's, it can happen to any car with a sunroof. Toyotas, Hondas and ect.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:56 PM
sbowden99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I experienced the water leak yesterday during a high pressure car wash. After taking a close look, I realized the driver's window was seating about one millimeter below where it should (and where the passenger window was seating--there was an obvious visual difference between the two windows).

Took it to the dealer and they adjusted it. No more leak.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:30 PM
hotdawwgman
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have noticed that when I power wash my car, the windows leak near the Tweeter speakers.

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Seth Ludeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diagnosis?

Originally Posted by ClassyPump
Ironically, I'm taking it in tomorrow. If they find the solution, minimum I'd be spending is around $150 due to diagnostic fee, maximum would probably be around $600. I'll let you know what my particular issue is. Could be so many different things which is why it's a pain in the *** to figure out. More than likely the disconnecting of the tubes or the tube is pinched. Hopefully it isn't the firewall since that'll take longer and be more expensive.
So what did the dealership say?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 AM
voha123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman
I have noticed that when I power wash my car, the windows leak near the Tweeter speakers.
Mine too, especially the drivers side.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM
ClassyPump
Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply guys. I've been busy. So I figured out the problem. It also cost me $0 to fix because it was a mishap from another shop. Basically, I had wrap work done to my grill and my emblems. While they were working on it, I had the shop install footwell lights. They wired it through the firewall. They used a grommet to prevent leaking, but the grommet deterioated. Infiniti wanted roughly $600 to put sealant on it essentially. I told the shop that did the work (since it was their fault) and they replaced the grommet and used sealant on it for free. That appears to have fixed the leak *crosses fingers*. Rained hard last night and nothing happened. So if you have had aftermarket lighting or sound system done, that's where the leak may be coming from. If not, check sunroof drains or the disconnecting of the drain.
I personally never use my sunroof and I assume if you never use it, it'll never get clogged. The use of a sunroof isn't worth accidental clogging and water leaking in the interior IMO.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Fester

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman

mine too.. there is a thread on here somewhere, where it points out what piece to replace to fix this.. I just don't have the money for it right now, I stuff a rag by the tweeter when I wash my car and it's fine for me.

Here's that thread.. page 4 shows the part, I'm pretty sure if it's replaced it won't leak anymore. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...-window-4.html

Last edited by Fester; 01-03-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-04-2018, 11:29 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Where is the rear drain on the sunroof? I could only see the front two ... my passenger front was completely submerged in water and same with my rear, but don't know where that drain and/or plug is