G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Replaced door by dealership. Paid for repairs for a faulty door.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 AM
min91tl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced door by dealership. Paid for repairs for a faulty door.

Hello. A year ago someone rammed into the side of my car and insurance concluded that I was not at fault. Anyway so the dealership had to replace the entire door. Over the past year, I probably took the car in about 8-9 times because of excessive wind noise coming from the new door. They charged me about $600 in repairs and replacement parts like the rubber weather sealing.

My question is, is it normal to replace the rubber sealing on a door that's only a year old? They finally fixed the wind noise problem by finally sending it into their off-site body shop and it turns out the wind noise was because they didn't install the sealing properly. And it's starting to dawn on me that maybe it wasn't necessary for me to have paid for all those repairs and replacements for a door that's only a year old. Not to mention the passenger door is hardly ever used.

Would this be something worth mentioning to my service guy? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I agree its unfair but it would be really hard to prove and get your money back this far down the road. Maybe instead, talk him into a free oil change or trans flush. That way they are only out a couple dollars and saves you a couple hundred since you'll have to do it anyway.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Why wasn't the at fault party's insurance company paying for the subsequent repairs to your car that arose from the original repair not being performed correctly?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
if the repair was paid for by insurance does it not come with a lifetime guarantee? sounds like the dealer is soaking the OP when this should be covered by warranty against the insurance claim.

just this year i had to return my car to the body shop on 3 occasions for them to rectify issues with the original repair. no cost to me.

this is why a repair through insurance is much more costly than a private repair. the vendor has to increase the fee to account for potential warranty rework.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:38 PM
min91tl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
I agree its unfair but it would be really hard to prove and get your money back this far down the road. Maybe instead, talk him into a free oil change or trans flush. That way they are only out a couple dollars and saves you a couple hundred since you'll have to do it anyway.
I mean I have proof of replacement and subsequent repairs. If this was two years after the replacement, I don't think I'd have anything to say but given that this all happened within one year, wouldn't it be easy to prove that I was unfairly charged?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Why wasn't the at fault party's insurance company paying for the subsequent repairs to your car that arose from the original repair not being performed correctly?
It didn't occur to me that the wind noise started happening after the door was replaced. And plus I'm from Montreal and we have a no-fault insurance law. I don't know the details of it but basically my insurance has to pay for accidents regardless of whose fault it was.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
if the repair was paid for by insurance does it not come with a lifetime guarantee? sounds like the dealer is soaking the OP when this should be covered by warranty against the insurance claim.

just this year i had to return my car to the body shop on 3 occasions for them to rectify issues with the original repair. no cost to me.

this is why a repair through insurance is much more costly than a private repair. the vendor has to increase the fee to account for potential warranty rework.
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. One year is too short for there to be any wear.