Sponsored By:

10mm Bolt Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
10mm Bolt Replacement?

Anyone know where I can find replacement for the 10mm bolt that holds up the plastic shield under the engine?

Also, I had accidentally pull my G37 over one of those parking lot concrete blocks. I am thinking this might have been the reason I am missing one of these 10 mm bolt holding the plastic shield up just under the engine (although I can't find any lose bolts on the ground).

The bolt seems to screw up into a metal piece and I was wondering if this may have caused any damages? Do these 10mm bolt screw up into anything important at these locations or do they only serve the purpose of holding the plastic shield up?

I am currently on the road traveling and do not have the equipment to raise my car and look under my car. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
They screw into a metal nut clip that clips onto the plastic of the bumper. If you're missing one, you likely ripped the plastic, too. Fixing it would require epoxy and some kind of fiber, I would think. If enough of the bumper remains, you may be able to get away with a new bolt and clip.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dwb993
They screw into a metal nut clip that clips onto the plastic of the bumper. If you're missing one, you likely ripped the plastic, too. Fixing it would require epoxy and some kind of fiber, I would think. If enough of the bumper remains, you may be able to get away with a new bolt and clip.

So I just took another quick look and it appears that no plastic was ripped. It looks like the bolt just fell off with no rips or stretches. Is it possible that the bolt just felt off since I cant seem to find the missing bolt underneath the car or within the vicinity of the vehicle?
Old 07-29-2016, 09:49 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
my car is missing several of those bolts. i suspect from techs too lazy to replace them all after oil changes.
i haven't got around to replacing mine yet but as far as i could see the splash shield is just a little less snug than it should be. otherwise not a problem.
you can get replacement bolts on eBay. haven't checked the local hardware store but probably there too. they don't look like there's anything proprietary or special about them.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Anywhere that sells bolts will have it, fastener supplier, home improvement store. Just a standard 10mm bolt.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Anywhere that sells bolts will have it, fastener supplier, home improvement store. Just a standard 10mm bolt.
This^^
Also a good idea to get some larger fender washers to go under the bolt heads, that plastic tends to get a bit brittle and will crack around those holes and the larger washers provide better support.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:51 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
The bolts are metric. Take an old one with you to compare. Stainless steel would be preferred as it's a pretty harsh environment under there.

Most of the bolts screw into nut clips except the rear 4 or 5. Those screw into a solid metal piece.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Funny this pops up, just yesterday I went cruising around with some friends and at one of our checkpoints the guys behind me said my under tray was flapping around in the wind. Sure enough, I'm missing several 10's as well, thanks for the free yet crappy oil change Infiniti..
Old 07-30-2016, 04:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Funny this pops up, just yesterday I went cruising around with some friends and at one of our checkpoints the guys behind me said my under tray was flapping around in the wind. Sure enough, I'm missing several 10's as well, thanks for the free yet crappy oil change Infiniti..
probably need a few of the plastic snap clips too, that's what keeps mine from rubbing on most anything.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:10 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with TBW Performance aluminum shields?

Are there any benefits to them or a waste of money?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by G37xS-Life
Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with TBW Performance aluminum shields?

Are there any benefits to them or a waste of money?
I dunno, it's not that bad hearing that woosh when you scrape the plastic one, I'd get sad if I heard a big metal grind anytime it rubs
Old 07-30-2016, 10:23 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Ok, maybe i am going a bit neurotic or being overly worried....but when I ran over the concrete parking block, I also felt the block struck some kind of metal on my car. I would estimate my speed to be about 1 to 2 miles per hour only since I was pulling into a parking spot.

The concrete block was oriented at a 20 degree angle with respect to the horizontal plane of my front bumper and the left edge pointing towards the underside of my car first.

Can that impact potentially hit/damage the oil pan or anything structurally important on my vehicle?

The impact didn't grind the metal, but more so like a brief bonk kind of impact. I really wish I have the tools to get under my car right now, but I wont be home until Monday evening. I checked under my car for any fluid leak and didnt find any and my oil level remain the same.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:31 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Likely did not hit the oil pan. There is metal structure under there where some clips attach. That's a more likely explanation. Although that's pretty far back for just running up on a curb bumper.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dwb993
Likely did not hit the oil pan. There is metal structure under there where some clips attach. That's a more likely explanation. Although that's pretty far back for just running up on a curb bumper.
Yeah, I was driving for 8+ hours and the lot at the bed and breakfast was at an incline at the back of the building. I would say the incline of the lot was at a 25-30 degrees angle of elevation with respect to the horizontal. I totally did not see that concrete block until my underside struck it with a bonk. When I realized what had happened, I slowly back out and thats when I heard the plastic shield getting scratched. I looked under my car with a flashlight to the best I could and saw a missing 10mm bolt at the lip where the shield meets the bumper lip. I couldnt tell if the bolt was ripped out as a result of this or if the dealer just forgot to put that one in the last time I was there. For the life of me, I couldnt find that 10mm bolt either and I looked hard for it.

Now, I am worried that I damaged something on the underside since I recall the bonk when it happened. When I felt that bonk, it actually startled me.

At the most, I would say the concrete block (long end) went about 12 to 15 inches under the car before I heard the bonk.

So what metal piece could it have possibly hit then?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:07 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Ok, maybe i am going a bit neurotic or being overly worried....but when I ran over the concrete parking block, I also felt the block struck some kind of metal on my car. I would estimate my speed to be about 1 to 2 miles per hour only since I was pulling into a parking spot.

The concrete block was oriented at a 20 degree angle with respect to the horizontal plane of my front bumper and the left edge pointing towards the underside of my car first.

Can that impact potentially hit/damage the oil pan or anything structurally important on my vehicle?

The impact didn't grind the metal, but more so like a brief bonk kind of impact. I really wish I have the tools to get under my car right now, but I wont be home until Monday evening. I checked under my car for any fluid leak and didnt find any and my oil level remain the same.
At that speed it's not likely there's any damage. If you're not leaking anything and there's no weird sounds/feelings I'd say you're fine. Wouldn't hurt to look under there when you get a chance though.

So what metal piece could it have possibly hit then?
Could be many things under there, oil pan, subframe, crossframe jack point, something wheel/suspension related.

Quick Reply: 10mm Bolt Replacement?