G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is a G37S a True Z car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:00 PM
WhiteVQ37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[b debadge and keep people guessing.. That's what I did man. Let. Them think what they want as you pass them
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
Again I think some of you are mixing up Skyline and GTR, they are different animals too. Like I mentioned, its like the Lancer and the Evo. So the G37 IS essentially a USDM Skyline but since its not a "Nissan" it was not called a Skyline. And by no means is it a GTR
It's not like a Lancer and an Evo though. Lancer and Evo share the same basic guts. The Grand being called a Skyline in Japan is just a name. It's like Dodge calling the Neon replacement a Dart. It has nothing to do with the original Dart. It's just a name.

Another point, there was the R34 Skyline. The GTR is the next in line as a R35. Prior to the R35 GTR there were base Skylines that shared the same basic platform as the R32/33/34 GTR. The G shares nothing.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:06 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteVQ37
[b debadge and keep people guessing.. That's what I did man. Let. Them think what they want as you pass them
When I see a debadged car I think Ghetto slacker trying to hide their second-tier, second-hand car.

That said, I debadged my pre-owned G right away.... sue me.

Last edited by bikezilla; 05-13-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:24 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
I think some of the comments are a little too cut and dry. The G is definitely not a Z but it is. And yes its technically a Skyline but its not. So the rationale for this clear as mud description is this...Yes in Japan it was created as a Skyline...not a GTR. Don't get those confused...think Lancer and EVO. BUt since the Skyline does not exist and has never existed in the states...its not really a Skyline. As far as it being a Fairlady Z, it has more in common with late models vs. the original. The 2+2 that popped up in the 90's is more our ancestor than any other previous model. So technically it could be a Fairlady. Doubt i'd rebadge though...be proud of your almost Skyline Fairlady that is a G.
Originally Posted by blnewt
It's closer to a Skyline, but does have it's roots in the Z lineage. If I were you I'd just de-badge the back and let those who aren't sure what it is to keep guessing

Nice Coupe BTW!
Originally Posted by Jedz123
Hey Team
I'm having a hard time finding any true information on this manner. I really love my G37 and it performs fabulously in the mountains. I was talking/riding with a gent who owns a worked up Datsun 280Z and he told me that my car is his his cars great great great granddaughter so to speak and refereed to my coupe as a true Fairlady Z. I got home and pondered on what he said as he refereed to my car as a true Z car. It's exceptionally quick and handles much better then most cages out there. So I was curious if our G37 Coupes truly are Z cars? I'm also pondering putting a Z badge on it. I'm the only cat in my town with a G37 let alone a G37S coupe so I often get positive comments and questions about what type of car it is and how it would do against there Subaru Legacy or RS. (Love living in small town Vermont). I think if I re-badge it as a Fairlyady Z it would throw people more off but how far away from the truth is that?
Anyway Your thoughts?

Car **** for ya:

Great G main, its a beauty and I have to agree with most on here. The G and Z are very similar but they are different too. The G is enough to a Z that they should be close on the enjoyment level and share much of the same parts and lineage. However considering the weight, suspension and different components between the two it is not a redbaged 370z with two more seats. If you wanted to rebadge it for any reason you could always go the full JDM route and use the 370gt skyline badging and throw some nissan badges on it (which I dont recommend). However go test a Z and drive yours back to back and see what you think, throw a review up and let us know your opinion. Here are some specs comparing the difference for you!

Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 AM
WhiteVQ37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah.. It's whatever.. I like the way it looks. Trunk is too cluttered so I said F it.. Let them guess. Haha
Old 05-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkhlmnn

according to the chart, the G has 16 more hp than the Z. while being a heavier car already by ~500lbs (and also having a 1 gallon bigger gas tank), it gets 1mpg better. i guess the 7AT makes the difference?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
There is a 200 pound weight difference between the lightest and heaviest Z models, so don't take the listed figure as an absolute.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM
HRnico

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming from an RX7

That 500+ pound difference is huge. Makes me want to get the lightest Z for a play car, and use my G for touring
Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark

according to the chart, the G has 16 more hp than the Z. while being a heavier car already by ~500lbs (and also having a 1 gallon bigger gas tank), it gets 1mpg better. i guess the 7AT makes the difference?
It is an IPL they have listed, hence the more HP.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:28 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The lightest Z is 300 pounds lighter than a Journey sedan. There is no 500 pound difference.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
The lightest Z is 300 pounds lighter than a Journey sedan. There is no 500 pound difference.
we're not talking about a sedan.

Gross vehicle weight for an IPL coupe is 3718lbs for 6MT, 3769lbs for 7AT, so that chart is correct.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:54 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Oh man, I miss my ginkgo biloba.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Ace_07
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I've seen one around these parts. Several years ago there was a white G37 coupe with "SKYLINE" on the rear where the "INFINITI" normally goes, parked outside a gun range in Southampton PA. I didn't really think much of it, but I guess to each his (or her) own.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
i woulda preferred the official name to be 370gt rather than g37 but i guess its too close to 370z
Old 05-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
i woulda preferred the official name to be 370gt rather than g37 but i guess its too close to 370z
That pretty much concisely sums it up in my book. You're going from a 370 "Z" to a 370 "GT". Add a dollop of NVH control, amenities and two back seats, you have our G37. The 370's chassis and the G's chassis are from the same modular chassis family. The G has a longer by 12" mid section welded in. Modern manufacturing efficiencies and R&D outlay often demands that a chassis design be shared across multiple vehicles within a manufacturers lineup. I'm sure the same set of engineers worked on the basics for both cars. The end target for the engineers and the end target consumer are different for either car. Hence the different chassis tuning and noise control.

As far as lineage, every time they come out with a new chassis, different mechanicals, body, and change the name, the old lineage is dead. Yes, there's an underlying philosophy but the current Z is far different from the first Z car and the current 370Z will morph, most likely, into something quite different again with the new TT engine. Philosophically speaking, it's a stretch. Drive a stock 300Z TT and then get into a 370. Quite different. Cars are targeted at a moving niche dynamic and often don't stay true to the original goal due to shifting consumer demand and improvements in manufacturing and technology. The Z designation covers a range of cars with a specific target. Just like the RX series for Mazda covers all their rotary-powered cars.

Very few auto lineage lines exist. They're out there. Morgan 8, Porsche 911 (air cooled, the water cooled is a new lineage despite the badge), Miata, etc...The only thing the Z line has kept is the front engine, rwd layout. Cylinder count has changed, displacement has changed, the model designation has changed and they even had a 2+2 there for a bit, as ugly as it was.

The Lancer/Evo paradox is an interesting dilemma. As a former Evo owner, I never really cared about the perceived link between the two. They visibly look very similar but there are probably more mechanical differences between them than say the G/Z mechanical differences. Yet those two cars look nothing alike.

Quick Reply: Is a G37S a True Z car?